1500 watt rear hub has very little power, tips please?

slm9s

100 mW
Bike is a Specialized SX Trail - freeride kind of full suspension bike. I had bought a BBSHD but the frame is so burly at the BB that it wouldn't fit. Right then I noticed craigslist had a new in box 1500 watt rear hub + 48v 14ah battery for a great price - the guy bought it and balked at building when he saw all the wires. (this is the very basic ebay/amazon china kit with just three lights on the throttle showing battery level, no display of any kind) Anyway, assembled it and the wheel wouldn't turn. Searched this forum and the 3 non-power wires from hub to controller needed to be switched. On the 3rd configuration (1st was wheel no turn, 2nd was wheel turned in Reverse) it worked.

Well, it sort of worked. The hub shudders if given much throttle at all unless I pedal up to some speed first. Secondly, we have a short but kind of steep hill by our house. I'm 6'5 265 and on flat ground the bike only goes MAYBE 10mph with me on it. My petite wife rode it and it maybe went a little faster but wouldn't even take HER up the hill. I've been reading forums and on "big guy" threads guys are saying they get 30mph from similar kits.

Something isn't right here.

Now, I don't have the pedal assist hooked up - I'm using throttle only. But could that explain this? (the reason PAS isn't hooked up that the two connections are male/male - no way to connect these two)
The battery showed full charge when installed. But I charged it last night and the charger charged it for multiple hours before turning off changing from red to green (charged). Could the battery be faulty?
I'm hoping that if I try 1 more change of those three wires I'll suddenly have 4x more power but right now I'm skeptical.

Thoughts?
Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• 20210712_081131.jpg
    20210712_081131.jpg
    442.1 KB · Views: 226
You have a false phase/Hall combination. Keep trying until it starts strong and runs smoothly.

slm9s said:
Well, it sort of worked. The hub shudders if given much throttle at all unless I pedal up to some speed first.

HRaeRi4.jpeg

Thanks guys, that fixed it. The only strong motion was in reverse (took a swift pedal to the knee - be warned) so I had to switch phase wires as well.

I've never ridden an ebike before. Initial test ride has me all smiles.

Attachments

• 20210712_134718.jpg
    20210712_134718.jpg
    404.9 KB · Views: 202
Back