20 inch full suspension street build (now with twin motors)

I manufacture a sprocket adapter that mounts a 130mm BCD chainring to the disc brake flange. It offsets the sprocket 3/4 inch toward the spokes. This allows room for the caliper to fit between the sprocket and the frame. Here are a couple pictures I took of my wife's bike to illustrate this. I will take a couple pictures of my bike when I get a chance.

Matt

Attachments

• caliper2.jpg
    caliper2.jpg
    161 KB · Views: 3,553
  • caliper1.jpg
    caliper1.jpg
    108.2 KB · Views: 1,087
Awesomeness
very interested in the Havoc hardware used to secure plate to head tube piece.any details... I cannot track them down online..

Saving up the beans to purchase the Astro 3210 + HV160 + throttle from you

Off to the powder-coater!

These are the four parts being coated; the center monocoque, seat stay, and rear swing arms. All parts are bing coated Matte black. Should look sinister!

Some people like a rabit's foot for good luck. As you can see, I prefer a dog's foot. :wink: :mrgreen:

Matt

Attachments

• done.jpg
    done.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 3,469
That is the opposite of my style of bike, but I gotta say it looks fantastic and very well considered. Well done.

Beautiful machine Matt, you are an outstanding engineer and craftsmen both!

Here is the frame so far. I have both large side panels made and installed. The small side panels to cover the front frame openings are all that is left to fabricate. After that, I will do some machining of the black drive unit parts to give the two tone black/silver look.

I will keep you posted as I go.

I am surprised how light this frame is especially considering the use of 1/8 inch aluminum plate for the monocoque.

Matt

Attachments

• black1.jpg
    black1.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 3,449
This is the biggest I can post without the picture shrinking into just a link.

I can post larger for you.

Those are "Speed Holes". :mrgreen:

I actually planned on far more holes. But, I was not sure about how much bling to add. I want the frame somewhat understated so the drive unit stands out a bit.

Matt

Matt,

Drillium is classic bike stuff! :)

http://www.classiclightweights.co.uk/extras/drillium-extras.html

Put brake and turn signals on there and it would be a perfect replacement for my Yamaha 80 cc,

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/attachments/motorbikes/69054d1226481336t-yamaha-80cc-pearl-yamaha-pb120010.jpg

the most fun MC I ever had.

Warren

The bike is basically mechanically finished. I have the pedal chain to install and wiring to do. The weather is not good anyway. So, I am in no rush to wire it.

I am very pleased with how it came out. The suspension spring rate "Feels" perfect (correct amount of sag). So, no need for a different spring.

You can see the swing arms are braced with box section tube welded in place. Since this bike uses 20 inch wheels, there is no reason for all that space in front of the tire for larger wheel clearance. It feels very much the same as the Hooligan. But, the wheelbase is longer. Most of that length is rear end extension (stock mountain bike swing arms are longer than 20 inch frame rear stays). So, it has that extended rear end look. :D

I am pleased that I went with black. It kind of reminds me of a cowboy's black leather and silver snaps. :mrgreen:

Anyway, it is very sinister looking. 8)

Matt

Attachments

• finished1.jpg
    finished1.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 3,118
  • finshed2.jpg
    finshed2.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 3,118
  • finshed3.jpg
    finshed3.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 3,118
  • finshed5.jpg
    finshed5.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 3,118
  • finished7.jpg
    finished7.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 3,118
  • finished8.jpg
    finished8.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 3,118
  • finshed9.jpg
    finshed9.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 3,118
The performance should be nearly identical to the Hooligan except for the longer range from doubling the battery capacity as well as less wheelie tendency due to the longer wheelbase and additional weight of cells up front. The bike is setup identical to the Hooligan from a gearing and motor standpoint. I am a bit concerned about the controller shutting down, though. The bike is capable of harder acceleration now and I know I was already tapping the poor little 160 controller to its limit. So, we shall see how it goes. If there are any performance issues with the controller, I will simply add a second 3220 and a second controller and be done with it. :wink: Sheesh, the thing would be a freakin BEAST....... That is kind of like putting a turbo on a Hyabusa. What's the point? :mrgreen:

I am 5 foot 11. I have not measured the seat hight yet. I will get that to you. Oh, duh, it is 34 inches high, same as my counter top! I just noticed that.....

I just sent you a PM. :wink:

Matt

I got that song in my head:

I'm a cowboy, steel horse i ride, I'm wanted dead or alive..
reminds me of a horse saddle.

Congrats on the build look forward to a ride video...

but for what a subjective opinion is worth - All black would have been shit hot. The silver dots and holes ruin the amazing work done. Less is more they say.

I know what you are saying.

The reason for the machined areas is because there were certain things that were Shiney anyway. It would have been nearly impossible to completely black it out. It looked a little weird 95% black with a couple Shiney bits. So, adding a little more helped the look by being a touch more symmetrical. I could have taken it far more extreme than this.

It would be easy to black out what I machined if I felt the need.

Matt

https://www.flickr.com/photos/vercettisworld/6793342542/
I like it and your analogy makes sense. Nobody is cooler than Lee Marvin as Mr. Black/Silver Kid Shelleen!

A little bit of bling is needed on a project like this just to keep it from being too bland. The only part of the bike I am not 100% sure I will leave as is would be the fan. I may install a new flat black fan blade.

I begin wiring today. It should not be difficult because I am starting with the harness from the Hooligan. I just need to alter/modify that existing harness for this application.

Matt

Most excelent!

So the dimple holes in the motor are for bling? first thought was it would increase surface area and shed heat. looks nice though.

I must admit I really want to ride it. But I'll have my bmx going in the next few months, I'm looking foward to the small wheel agile, high acceleration.

I think you know you need to add the second power system. Maby a fan on the controller?

Back