2012 is Trike year.. What do i want ?

Here's my favorite Trike site. They offer lots of mod parts and pre-installation opportunities - crank and transmission (including mid drive emotor setups) and conversion from trike to quad.

Take time to drill down and search.

http://www.utahtrikes.com/

Thise folks at Utah Trikes are great. I recently ordered a "trailer hitch" for my wife's Sun USX which I bolted a shelf for her new batteries. Great service and quick. About a week to weld it up and ship it. Alloy too! They are good.
otherDoc

Can someone with a trike a car and a camera do me a fav.
Park the trike get in the car and drive buy it and show us how visible it is.

Lessss said:
Can someone with a trike a car and a camera do me a fav.
Park the trike get in the car and drive buy it and show us how visible it is.
I'll try to do that tomorrow when my wife and I ride but check out my avatar. The only time I haven't been seen was when a teen in a new Toyota Hilander ran a stop sign and I was within inches. He had his mind and his eyes turned off an was looking to run it! Usually with the flashing Magicshine and tail light and flags and the orange panels it is quite visible.
otherDoc
edit: We recently had a guy on a recumbent tadpole hit and run but I think they were gunning for him! He dies and the cops are clueless.

Doctorbass said:
KMX all the way!!!

The typhoon or the cobra nothing else!!
Doc

last year i did 2 trike builds, both full suspension. Scorpion FS and Steintrike Mungo Sport. Both with HS3540. Great fun!
Velotechnik Scorpion FS was great on roads but sucked off road. Steini was great on both. For some reason i sold it. Now i'm missing off road trike. incredible confort due to excellent suspension.

I am considering KMX too but i heard soooo many complaints about rough ride with no suspenion!!!

If i go for it, it would be cobra with rear 26'' wheel with 5405 at 100v lipos :mrgreen:

Typhoon - yes lower centre of gravity but hard to source rims and tyres for 16'' unless Doc has some suggestions? i constantly was getting flats ...
For off road cobra might be better.

I got a set of wheels from FFR trikes for the Steintrike back a ways. They are fiberglas and just needed a brass shim on the 12mm axles to mate with the 1/2" axle holes and bearings. They worked fine but I finally went to 20" fronts to raise the trike a few more inches. Taller is better for vision and being seen. I also raised my seat about 3 inches. It doesn't corner as well but I can be seen better. I don't corner as well as I used to anyways! :(
otherDoc

16 inch (305 mm) are made by Schwalbe and Walmart has a good 16" tire as well as 20" kevlar belts for 15 USD. I'm sorry to say that the European 16" (349 mm) are really expensive and dont last long. The original wheels in this size broke spokes constantly. I finally used the Bitex hubs and had John Rob Holmes build 20" wheels on them. these are the ones I use today.
otherDoc

docnjoj said:
16 inch (305 mm) are made by Schwalbe and Walmart has a good 16" tire as well as 20" kevlar belts for 15 USD. I'm sorry to say that the European 16" (349 mm) are really expensive and dont last long. The original wheels in this size broke spokes constantly. I finally used the Bitex hubs and had John Rob Holmes build 20" wheels on them. these are the ones I use today.
otherDoc

sorry i got confused, i had 18'' on steini. i think with 16inch is much easier to resource
thanks!

If you are still looking for a trike, I have my custom one still... I don't ride it, and would love for somebody to resurrect it. It's lower with 20" wheels, wider, longer and stiffer than a kmx, plus has a removeable waterproof vibration isolated battery/controller/charger box. It's about 20 pounds heavier than a KMX, and needs some pedal chainline work tho. Shoot me a PM if your interested.

Oh well I was going to suggest a Catrike Expedition. Have lotsa fun with the KMX.

looking for a trike? How about a Windcheetah from England, very low and fast and lite. It even has a body available for a tiddy sum.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7FZLBuEnkLU

http://www.windcheetah.co.uk/clubsport.htm

I have a tad pole trike that raced in the HPV races here in the midwest, I used to ride it on the streets of chicago, you could hardly be seen, I may electricfied it for bike path rides or group club rides.

Have you consider the delta trike on 3 700c wheels upright like they did at the turn of the century racing , those you could be seen and construction should not be too bad. I may consider one for the future.

I'm happy for you Ypedal!! :mrgreen:

i'm sure you'll love it!

Wich motor and battery do you plan using with it?

Doc

what is the leg clearance to install battery in front without touching the battery box while pedalling please?

thanks!

We all wish you to get it intact! 8)

Doc

just got my second hand kmx cobra ;)

found a 8 EUR "battery box" [light metal toolbox] that will accomodate 12 x 6s5ah turnigy packs. working on installation...

Good luck with your build!

Ok.. got lots of pictures and will start a proper review shortly.. but one last item on my list to iron out that's got me stumped is the chain pulley:

There seems to be many versions from KMX over the years and i canot find a single proper picture of what i need... and i've googled.. stared at the instructions.. and so on.. argh..

anyone ?

Attachments

• kmx1.JPG
    kmx1.JPG
    65.3 KB · Views: 1,524
Stop teaseing and give us some real pictures. LOL You know we all want to see it in pieces also. :p

Back