3 ebike Alarm Sytems

Ok slowly figuring out how this system works..without my iphone or optional siren its hard...

I will have my iphone back on tuesday...

So did a short ride today and got home and noticed that ride was recorded...i decided to try to share the ride and found these great features where i can instantly upload the ride to my facebook account which i did. I am creating a facebook account to document my rides on this bike.

It worked like a cherry.

Here is the link it puts on my facebook: http://my.rlink.com/s/flkg54ef really really sweet...notice the speed readings at the bottom of the page where you can see the speeds of the trip. I cant believe all this in a first release of a product...and i have been talking to the developers and supposedly all this is just the beginning for what they have planned in future software updates.

Here is a link to my facebook account which i set up just because i bought this device and want to document the experiences i am having on the electric bike: http://www.facebook.com/#!/profile.php?id=100000715865193&ref=profile

Right now i am pretty freaking happy with this new alarm. I think once i get my iphone back its all going to come together. By the way i bought an iphone mount for my handlebars...supposedly with this iphone app made by rlink i will get my current speed, weather warnings, and will be able to arm/disarm the alarm easily from the phone. Alarm alerts will come via text message.

Rlink has a real slick online interface etc..i wish i could share with you guys my name and password but there is a hostil poster on the thread now so i dont feel right giving my rlink details..he could set unset my alarm etc. and reek other types of nerdy havoc. :p

Wow...weird.

So i was ltaking a closer look at the map the rlink made and took closer look at my ride. http://my.rlink.com/s/flkg54ef i used the zoom function to really examine my route.

My ride was somehow documented perfectly on my way home, where i just went straight down the coast highway and up geary..all that is accurate.

But at the start of my ride when i rode to the Park Chalet restaurant in the golden gate park by the way, it did not do a good job of documenting my route...I think this is because i had the battery disconnected and when i reconnected i screwed it up a bit...i will experiment tomorow on my next ride..also will mount gps antenna outside of bag. But anyway it just drew a diagonal line from my starting point to the finish point.

But here is the really weird thing...if you zoom in on that map, you will see when i cut across 47th ave that i literally rode over the Church of Satan on this ride...omfg...

I didnt even know i had a Church of Satan in my neighborhood...and what are the chances of riding right through the middle of it.

This might be a weird omen...please pray for my soul guys...im sorry for any havoc i might have caused to the turn signal guys etc. :mrgreen:

Just to be safe...i am going to wear my helmet and gloves on tomorrows ride...and i am going to pack my taser in case some turn signal guy wants to get frisky.... :lol:

EGM,

The difference is that you're a dork who's worried about looking like one, while I'm not and couldn't care what people think, especially if it significantly reduces the chance of getting rear-ended by a car, about the only riding risk I have so little control over. Those odds may be fairly low to begin with, so in terms of safety your focus should be on the drinking and riding, talking on the phone, playing with your Iphone, texting, and whatever other high risk activities in which you engage on your ebike.

Also, if you think that tasing someone other than in self defense, which messing with your bike would not classify, isn't going to land you in a big heap of trouble, then you're sorely mistaken. You and I both know that you're more likely to piss you pants than do anything about anything anyway, so go ahead a keep up the big talk. I'll admit though, that it's fun to think about zapping a would-be thief. :D

John

Dork or nerd, of which I am probobly both, not proud, or tired. Lets see, Christian pothead hippie biker nerd dork tattooartist freak. I need a BIG bumper to hold that sticker! And directional lights to attract more attention, but no blinkers till after I get my rLink! Best part about being a dork, theres plenty chicks out there wanting to get some dork, so go get some.......NOT DORK! CHICKS! Such a dork!

Whoa, what's with the vitriol? While I agree that tazer usage for frivolous reasons is immoral (and illegal), what's the deal with calling him names? Just my opinion, but that seems a little unnecessary. And the insult about not getting anything done? Seems to me he's gotten a seriously high power alarm system installed, which is more than lots of people (like me) on this forum have done - I'm still waiting for parts.

Anyway, I'm still interested in hearing more about the alarm system. Once we have 3000 invested in a bike, a 600 alarm system starts sounding a bit more reasonable.

I also agree that when riding with traffic, turn signals would be handy. Do you find that people actually cede you right of way when you use them? Around here, I'm not sure that they would.

Katou

Youre right on that, using them, and getting recognised, not so much. I think for most of the public, the actual hand signal gets more respect than the blinker when on a slow moving vehicle. Not that we are necessarily slow. But even if were going 10mph over the speed limit, people have to pass us, if for no other reason than to not be behind a bicycle. The same is true for old cars. I used to drive a 69 chevelle with 600hp 454 in it. Even speeding everyone wanted to pass me, cause it was old car. But gots to have some kind of light to know how the alarm system is status, and programing.... I prefer no siren as I want to catch the sum beotch who messes with my gal! SS

katou said:
Whoa, what's with the vitriol? While I agree that tazer usage for frivolous reasons is immoral (and illegal), what's the deal with calling him names? Just my opinion, but that seems a little unnecessary. And the insult about not getting anything done? Seems to me he's gotten a seriously high power alarm system installed, which is more than lots of people (like me) on this forum have done - I'm still waiting for parts.

Anyway, I'm still interested in hearing more about the alarm system. Once we have 3000 invested in a bike, a 600 alarm system starts sounding a bit more reasonable.

I also agree that when riding with traffic, turn signals would be handy. Do you find that people actually cede you right of way when you use them? Around here, I'm not sure that they would.

Katou

Sounds like a neat alarm. Hopefully the price comes down a little before I get my bike done. I used to install Viper Car Com/GPS2000 systems and it was pretty cool technology. This was many years ago. I'm surprised that it's only now hitting the motorcycle world! The whole system was under $600, installed, on a complex vehicle with a bunch of electronics to interface with, and came with a lifetime warranty. When I told parents that they could set approved routes/speed limits for their kids, and get an email/phone call if they deviated, it was an instant sale. The rlink system just shouldn't cost so much.

tinfoil hat on: I don't like my personal info being available on the internet. It's inevitable to some degree but having your routes logged is a little creepy. As it is currently used, it's totally fine and a seemingly beneficial function. It's just the potential for abuse that scares me. I had one customer that accidentally let their kids find their GPS2000 password and the kids had a lot of fun activating the starter kill when the parents were out. Long story short, a few visits to some idiot mechanics, a few thousand dollars in unnecessary replacement parts/labor, and finally one phone call to me sorted out the problem. You never know how things will be used in the end.

About blinkers. I used to commute to work in Oklahoma City on a Honda XL600R. It had turn signals and I used them religiously. I don't think anyone saw them. If they did, for some reason, they chose to ignore them and blatantly cut me off anyway. I had many close calls, and even got bumped in the back tire at stoplights a few times. People do not see bikes, even tall bright red ones with flashing lights and a guy wearing a white helmet riding. I'd see the looks of surprise in their faces when they finally did recognize that they weren't alone on the road. A few years later, I sold the XL600R and got an XR600R with a big bore kit and a supertrapp. It didn't have blinkers or a speedo, or anything but grunt and noise and a rigged up brake light. I just rode this bike differently because it was more fun. You don't have any reason to signal if you don't let anyone stay behind you and you take turns at the full speed limit. People don't get too close if they think a fireball is going to shoot out of your tailpipe at any second. The deer get out of the way too! Anyway, you will only be seen if you ride to be seen. Will my bike have blinkers on it? Eventually, but I'll try not to make them too dorky.

Thanks for testing and reporting on the alarm system. BTW instead of getting that companies siren, you could get a much cheaper separate sound alarm. You'd have the side benefits of redundancy and that the theif would attack the sound alarm and not destroy the whole system or the rlink by accident.

I have now stripped the Rlink off my bike...

Too big a hassle and the wiring was making a real mess.

I can no longer recommend the rlink for ebikes...just way too big of a hassle.

I am back to square one.

And i am selling my Rlink for 420 if anyone wants it message me.

I am keenly interested in sensoring an ebike to alert in case of malicious behavior.

There are a couple of considerations though when considering what sort of system is practical for our lightweight rides:
  • We have a controller that can lock the wheel.
    • What is the cost in wattage to keep the wheel locked?
    • Wouldn’t it be more suitable to lock the wheel for a period of time during a calculated assault?
  • Sensors
    • Accelerometer (multiple axis or redundant)
    • GPS
    • Hidden audio mic
    • Hidden Video camera
  • Backup battery; trickle charge from 12V rail, good for 72 hours minimum
  • Local logging/blackbox: Sandisk
  • Remote Notification should be through a device that communicates
    • Cell phone (phone home)
    • Internet/Wireless (email/Tweet, logging)
    • Application: Smartphone or Desktop (raw location data that can integrate with common Mapping applications)
  • Audio notification
    • Silent
    • Audible tone/warble
    • Speaker, verbal (humorously – the lion's roar from RoboCop pops into my head)
    • Instant communication (“Nice mug. Can I help you with something?”)
  • Visual notification
    • Flashy lights :x
    • Telsa Coil discharge :evil:
    • Heat Ray :twisted:
    • EMP :p
  • Events
    • No movement
    • Bump
    • Bump hard
    • We’ve moved a few inches
    • We’ve moved a few feet
    • We’ve moving
    • We’ve stopped moving
    • We’re being hacked! :shock:
  • Mature Response
    • Wait five minutes, breathe, maybe it will go away
    • Crap, someone if messing with my bike! Call police…
    • Lunatic Fringe: Go bent!
  • Help File
    • Instruction manual
    • Warrantee card
    • Last Will and Testament form (blank)

What have I missed? :lol:
~KF

The last item needs to be something popped out for the thief, when they grab the bike, along with a verbal "please fill this out while you still have the chance, so that authorities will know what to do when they arrive". :lol:

Back