41MPH EVG SX bike with Magic Pie motor

snellemin said:
Wow!!! 10K more for the leaf?!!! That is just crazy man.

Rode my bike into work today. Work security gave me a hard time bringing my bike into my lab. My response was..."I thought HP was going green".

Yep, 10 k more because of tax!

Did they give you a hard time because it's electric ?

No way would my work allow me past the front door with mine, I'd be able to sneak in the battery maybe if I'm lucky.

OOhhhhh the tax is the killer.

They gave me a hard time, because they want me to keep it in the parking garage. Pffff, I had my suv broking into and my other car vandalized, while the security is there. I'm not keeping my bike in the garage, when I got the ok from my boss and his boss to keep my bike in my lab.

Build me a battery pack from a bunch of leftover 18650 batteries. Took a while to put together and balance out. I wired it up as two 8s packs in 4p config.

Looks like quite the mix and match... you've got a bms i hope! or at least keep an eye on it!

neptronix said:
Looks like quite the mix and match... you've got a bms i hope! or at least keep an eye on it!

No BMS. I'll pull a max of 8AH out of this pack, with plenty of buffer capacity left.

12.5 mile commute with the 18s4p 18650 battery pack that is made with leftover cells. Swapped out the fat Michelin tires. Rear has 26x2.1 and the front has 26x2.0 size tires. 40 PSI front and back.

I'm surprised that this pack can peak that high in amperage. Gets pretty warm when pushed hard. Going to install the throttle tamer and then go for max speed. I won't be expecting blazing speeds.

Bike maxed out at 31mph. There use to be a time when I considered that as a blistering speed.

Hey snellemin,

I love your build. Nice to see the Magic Pie delivering some good power! Questions for you:

Did you have to beef up any of the wires inside the Magic Pie?
What made you use the 18650 pack instead of lipo?

I am getting a hunger for more power from my bike and am considering upgrading my rear motor to an external controller instead of the Magic Pie internal controller.

Thanks for reading my thread PWD. I have a fun Raptor now, so no need for two high powered bikes. 30mph max is still fun on the EVG. I just miss the acceleration of the lipo setup though.

I never upgraded the wires coming out of the motor. I just ran 12awg wires as close to the motor as possible. I will upgrade all the wires if I ever open the motor up again.

You will have fun with the Pie when you upgrade the controller.

I swapped out the original EVG handlebar and stem. I installed a longer 700mm Hussefelt handlebar and my old Fuji stem.

Most Awesome!

Tommy L sends..... \m/ . . \m/

Back