60MPH 11kW Qulbix Raptor

Merlin said:
are you using bluetooth with the sabbie?

No I'm not. That little dongle is way too much money.

In other news, I broke the axle on my Cromotor riding around the backyard.

Merlin said:
wtf? :shock:

broke the axle? is this the first one now? never heard about a broken axle from a cromotor.

I think the V1 had some failed axles, but I could be wrong. I'm just glad the axle failed at very low speed while I was giving my kids rides in the back yard. Failure at high speed would of hurt badly.

The axle failed where the threads on the axle ends towards the disc brake side. I'm wondering if the crazy regen is what caused the failure during my commutes. I didn't over torque my axle nuts as I'm using Nord lock washers.

Now to find a new axle or getting somebody to make me a new one.

I broke an axle on a v1. It was due to a controller syncing problem with the motor. It went from full throttle to locking the motor up at about 40mph and 15000w or so. The axle sheared on both sides and shot out of the back of the bike. I don't have the pictures on my phone but will try to find them later - I can't make this shit up haha. Pretty scary stuff. Luckily it was raining and the roads were wet so I just slid across the pavement and was unhurt.

snellemin said:
I think the V1 had some failed axles, but I could be wrong. I'm just glad the axle failed at very low speed while I was giving my kids rides in the back yard. Failure at high speed would of hurt badly.

The axle failed where the threads on the axle ends towards the disc brake side. I'm wondering if the crazy regen is what caused the failure during my commutes. I didn't over torque my axle nuts as I'm using Nord lock washers.

There is a 3D drawing of an enhanced Cro axle here on the forum. Search for Cro axle. IIRC that cro motor had the axle snap at the exact same spot. After new axle was milled problem was solved. Maybe you can use the same drawing? If you like it and think dimensions are the same as your axle you could just send the 3D drawing to any machine shop and have them give you a price quote.

macribs said:
snellemin said:

There is a 3D drawing of an enhanced Cro axle here on the forum. Search for Cro axle. IIRC that cro motor had the axle snap at the exact same spot. After new axle was milled problem was solved. Maybe you can use the same drawing? If you like it and think dimensions are the same as your axle you could just send the 3D drawing to any machine shop and have them give you a price quote.

I think I found one that I liked after a search through the forum last nite.

This the one you found? https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=53931
think there was a forum gathering to design that new axle. Lots of ideas got thrown around to come up with a new and stronger design. Probably material quality could have an impact as well not just added thickness of the axle but the steel/material.
So are you getting Titanium axle or heat treated hardened steel? Or mild steel?

I'm not sure what material I'm going for. I'm guessing depends what the cost will be.

WP_20160323_13_09_26_Pro_LI.jpg

WP_20160323_13_10_02_Pro_LI.jpg

Oh man you are lucky that din not happen at WOT and full speed ahead.
What made it give you think?

Maybe if you are lucky you can find someone here on the forum with enough tools and machines in the garage to help you out?
Machinists usually charge extra when working with harder steel or even Titanium because milling, drilling etc is more time consuming and harder on the tools.
But can you really set a price on safety?

I'm thinking regen did it over time. I would say the Sabvoton pushed it over it's limit. The 18 fet controller before hand did not regen as hard as the Sabbie.
Well I know a machinist here in Houston and I'll go ask him what it will all cost me for 3 units. I'll bring along the pics to give him an idea what improvements I need over stock.

I'm using 180A regen with the Sabbie. That is border line lock up with the sticky Michelin's. The motor is a V2 that I got through Zombies Greyborgusa site and I have less than 2700km on mine.

snellemin said:
I'm thinking regen did it over time. I would say the Sabvoton pushed it over it's limit. The 18 fet controller before hand did not regen as hard as the Sabbie.
Well I know a machinist here in Houston and I'll go ask him what it will all cost me for 3 units. I'll bring along the pics to give him an idea what improvements I need over stock.

Still a broken axle is no picnic in the park. Let us know what steel you choose and what dimension your new axle is.

Is this the one you will make?

file.php

No source yet. I'm not in a rush, as I want a good upgraded axle. In the meantime I might just have to go with an QS motor.

I found a machinist willing to work on an axle design for me. Is expensive as hell to just make one, so it would be cheaper to machine a bunch and sell them to break even.

Received a new QS motor yesterday. 19" moto rim with 5T motor. Wheel is laced for a single speed freewheel, so it's offset. Going to have to move the rim to the center of the motor. That way it seems I can use spacers just on the freewheel side and still put on my old 5 speed freewheel.

WP_20160524_23_20_54_Pro.jpg

WP_20160524_23_20_47_Pro.jpg

Holy smokes... nice looking bike... and you really took the brute force approach to another level.

G.

With some spare time, I'v test fitted the new QS onto the Raptor. I must of gotten a version that was made on a Friday. One spoke was over tightened and a few barely took any force to loosen up. So the over tightened spoke just snapped when trying to break it loose.
Plus side its that I don't need a lot of spacers to fit the the QS into the swingarm with the 5 speed freewheel. Spokes have been ordered from Holmeshobbies and some disk rotor spacers from Fleabay.

The Cromotor side covers is where the big difference is between the QS covers. I never heard anything back from Greyborg in regards to a replacement axle, so they lost me as customer for good.
I got me a Shinko SR241 19" x 2.75. It's just a bit shorter then the 26" x 2.3 Michelin Pilot Sport.

temporary_6.jpg

temporary_3.jpg

temporary_7.jpg

temporary_5.jpg

temporary_4.jpg

temporary_2.jpg

Back