PING battery rehab...?

samsavvas

100 W
Hi Folks,
Haven't visited or posted for a few years after a long lay-off from e-bike matters due to illness. All good (or better) now fortunately. As a present to myself I'm building a new e-cargo bike & want to try to reuse some of the gear I've had stored in the shed for the last couple of years. In particular I have 2 Ping batteries - a 10Ah & a 20Ah made with pouch cells - which I fully charged before putting them away for storage.

When they were retrieved a couple of days ago & I attempted to charge them I found the first 8 LEDs on the BMS of both batteries lit up reasonably quickly, but the final 4 on each proved extremely reluctant to signal that the corresponding cells (or cell groups) were charging or charged up.

After 48hrs all 12 LEDs on the 10Ah have now lit up. However when disconnected from the charger they start to flash back & forth erratically & randomly after a few minutes. After 48hrs charging the 20Ah battery only 10 of the 12 LEDs are lit with #s 9 & 11 remaining dark.

What am I looking at here? I understand that individual pouch cells need to get to 3.75V before the BMS will attempt to balance them. Are some of the cells proving reluctant to charge up to this voltage - is that why some of the LEDs are staying dark? Why are the LEDs on the 10Ah flashing erratically when I disconnect the charger? Is it because the cells are only just up to 3.75V & self discharging below this level quite quickly? Should I just persist & keep charging them both over the next week or so? Will the pouch cells eventually 'wake up'?

Apologies for all of the questions - I've forgotten everything I knew about these batteries & am just trying to figure out what's going on. Any help or suggestions gratefully received.

Sam.

The ones staying dark probably haven't reached the balancing point yet. You should try to measure the individual cell voltages. If a cell is really low, it may take a very long time to come back up. You could try leaving it on the charger for several days to see it they will come up. Some chargers will just turn off before this can happen, in which case you probably need to try charging the individual low cells with a single cell charger.

The ones staying dark probably haven't reached the balancing point yet. You should try to measure the individual cell voltages. If a cell is really low, it may take a very long time to come back up. You could try leaving it on the charger for several days to see it they will come up. Some chargers will just turn off before this can happen, in which case you probably need to try charging the individual low cells with a single cell charger.
Thanks for the reply fechter - encouraging!

I've left both batteries on overnight & indeed, the remaining LEDs on the larger one are now lighting up. I'll leave them on for another 25hrs & then will disconnect & check voltages.

On a related note, can you (or anyone else) tell me - are the LiFePO4 pouch cells that PING used as vulnerable to over discharge damage as the typical Lithium 18650 cells (which I understand use a different chemistry)?

thanks, Sam

Yes. If the cells ever get below 2.0v, bad things can happen inside. Typical failure mode I've seen is they develop high self-discharge rates and won't hold charge for very long.

If the last lights came on in 24 hours, the cells are probably not too bad, as the balancing current is very low.

Yes. If the cells ever get below 2.0v, bad things can happen inside. Typical failure mode I've seen is they develop high self-discharge rates and won't hold charge for very long.

If the last lights came on in 24 hours, the cells are probably not too bad, as the balancing current is very low.
Thanks fechter. What might it mean if - when I disconnect the charger & wait 30 mins - the balance lights start turning off or flickering haphazardly? I'm afraid I can't recall what the LEDs are supposed to do (or indicate) once the battery is charged & disconnected from the charger...

Eventually all the balance LEDs should turn off. When they are on, it indicates the cell is at max voltage and the balancing shunt is on.

Back