9 pin to 10 pin

Oldie

1 mW
Hi guys

Sorry if the following is a silly question....

I have a question which i am not 100% sure on, although i did read on a forum search it will do no harm.

I have a chinese rear hub motor that has a 10 pin male plug. This motor has a built in crank sensor to detect when you pedal.

My old bafang rear hub motor had a 9 pin male plug.

If i plug the 10 pin male plug into my 9 pin female plug that is connected to my controller, what is the worst that could happen?

Could i short circuit something? Will it blow something?

Why do you think the connectors would even press together when they have the wrong number of pins vs. holes on either side? An extra pin will poke into plastic with no hole and the two won't press together fully/an extra hole means the pin positions don't line up, etc..

To connect a 9 pin cable to a 10 pin cable you have to cut the connectors off and solder the individual wires together, ignoring the one you don't need. Or cut one of the two connectors off, buy a second connector with the right number of contacts, wire that up, then connect. Or make an adapter cable by buying two connectors and running wires between them.

Lol

I didnt even think that far. I am having one of them days......

Thanks for the help

If i plug the 10 pin male plug into my 9 pin female plug that is connected to my controller, what is the worst that could happen?

The worst that could happen, beyond breaking the connectors if you physically forced the mismatched pins together unsuccessfully, is shorting controller phase outputs to low-voltage signal or 5v wiring, which would probably destroy your controller, and possibly anything else connected to the 5v line (throttle, PAS, motor halls, etc).

FWIW, regardless of the circumstances: if you're not sure if two things should connect together, even if the connectors look the same, don't connect them together until you can locate wiring diagram information for both things that show you clearly and unquestionably that they can safely be connected together.

If that information isn't available, don't connect them together, unless you can afford the consequences (which depending on the things in question lead from simply having to buy replacements for everything involved, to smoke, fire and loss of the building(s) they're in along with their contents and the lives of the inhabitants).

Or you could research whatever info is available on each of the devices, and then open them both up to compare which wires go where, to find what is compatible between the two, and what is necessary. If there are incompatible things that aren't necessary to accomplish the goal you have, you can leave those disconnected. If they're required, then you'd have to find compatible devices instead.... (or learn / research enough to build or buy something to make them compatible)

If you already know enough about the kind of things you're dealing with needed to figure out compatibility on your own, the above may not apply, but in those cases you probably wouldn't be here asking the question. ;)

I have a chinese rear hub motor that has a 10 pin male plug. This motor has a built in crank sensor to detect when you pedal.

Regarding getting these two connected, if you state specifically which motors you have, and which controller you have, including links to where they were purchased, and which specific connectors each thing has, we may be able to help you figure how to connect your new motor up using extension cables (may require you to cut and splice wiring).

Good clear well-lit pictures of each of those may help, but the specifics of each thing are needed just as much.

Hi guys

Sorry if the following is a silly question....

I have a question which i am not 100% sure on, although i did read on a forum search it will do no harm.

Oldie,

Did you ever resolve this issue? I have a a higo 10 pin ebike motor from a Swft Zip. I need to replace the OEM controller. The new controller is a higo 9 pin. I have an idea I'm testing to make a conversion adapter. Maybe we can collaborate?

Guys I appreciate your replies.

Hey Txtwista I’m afraid didn’t get any further.

I have the diagram for my motor in Chinese and I was wanting to use it with a KT controller and lcd3 display.

Attachments

• IMG_1025.jpeg
    IMG_1025.jpeg
    1,011.6 KB · Views: 6
  • 9b3faa28-1b14-4dfa-99f1-31552ec81e14.jpeg
    9b3faa28-1b14-4dfa-99f1-31552ec81e14.jpeg
    197.2 KB · Views: 6
Back