Is there such a thing as a 9 pin Ebike cable which has a female connection on both ends ?I can`t find one anywhere.

jimjim

1 mW
From my hub Y splitter There are 3 wires green blue yellow from my new throttle I have 3 wires white black red . Please which colour goes with which ? Thank you. I bought the split cable from aliExpress It has a male and female 9 pin plug to connect the ebikes main power cable and 3 pins coming off it to connect a throttle to it which has 3 bare wires which will be soldered to the other wires once I find the corrosponding colours.

Last edited:
What is your "hub Y splitter"? What specific devices does it connect together?

What is your system? (ebike/scooter/etc brand if it came prebuilt, or the individual parts if you are building it, with links to each one so we can get more info on them to help you with).

What is your new throttle? (link to it's sales page so we can get more info to help you with)

Are you replacing an existing throttle? If so, what were it's wire colors, etc?

If you are adding a throttle to an existing system that never had one, note that there are systems that do not support a throttle at all, and it won't work with them (which is why we need to know what system and parts you have).

For most throttles, 1 wire is 5V supply for the hall sensor, 1 wire is ground, and the last wire is the signal wire that goes from low to high as you twist. The signal wire should change voltage as you move the throttle. You might destroy the hall sensor by playing around, but it's usually pretty easy to figure out the 5V from using a voltage meter on the controller when it is on, then you can try hooking that up to various wires like red, then try to use the volt meter to figure out which wire is the signal that changes as the throttle is moved. Sometimes it helps to figure out your old throttle first since that will tell you what the controller wires are.

For most throttles, 1 wire is 5V supply for the hall sensor, 1 wire is ground, and the last wire is the signal wire that goes from low to high as you twist. The signal wire should change voltage as you move the throttle. You might destroy the hall sensor by playing around, but it's usually pretty easy to figure out the 5V from using a voltage meter on the controller when it is on, then you can try hooking that up to various wires like red, then try to use the volt meter to figure out which wire is the signal that changes as the throttle is moved. Sometimes it helps to figure out your old throttle first since that will tell you what the controller wires are.
Yes it looks like it will be trial and error

Hi and welcome to ES.

If you could post photos of the throttles you have, showing the wire colours, we could probably help sort out which wire goes where.

Standard throttles have three wires, usually red for +5V, green or blue for the throttle voltage output and black for 0V.

Throttles that have battery indicator lights usually have four wires, three being similar in colour to those above for the three wire throttle (although not always) and a fourth wire than is at the battery voltage to run the indicator.

It sounds like you may have a throttle with the three way speed selector switch, as they have around 6 or 7 wires.

Any more information you can give would help a lot.

Jeremy
I am waiting for the items to arrive , just trying for info in advance so I know what to do. Then i will attach pics.

You do realize you're replying to a 12-year-old post by a member that hasn't visited in a decade?

BTW, I recommend you keep all of your stuff about this issue in your original thread over here:
so that everyone helping you will have all the available info, and no one is wasting time duplicating effort or giving you conflicting info that will cause you problems or damage equipment.

EDIT: Since you started a new thread for your original issue, I have moved all of your posts about it including these two into it to help you get the solution you need.

Last edited:
I have a 9 pin cable from the motor which is male and want to buy a splitter cable which has a throttle connector , the problem is it also has a male plug so that`s the problem . I searched but cannot find a connector . Thanks to all.

The 9pin from almost all motors does not have any place for a throttle signal to go, so such a cable would not be useful, unless you have a system very different from these.'

Can you provide complete details on the parts you have, and the specific intent of your desired change, so that we can help you find a solution?

If you don't answer our questions, we can't know what you have and what you're trying to do, which makes it very very hard to help you.

Note that I have merged your new thread with your original since you still have not provided the necessary info there for us to help you.

Hi , this is the bike I have and the cable I want to buy but both ends have a male connector. The green cable might also be OK but it needs a 9 pin connector to do the job then I could connect a throttle to it . Well I guess that`s a maybe.

Attachments

• DSC03528.JPG
    DSC03528.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 9
  • DSC03531.JPG
    DSC03531.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 9
  • DSC03523.JPG
    DSC03523.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 9
That first picture is a 9 pin cable, yes. Unfortunately, it has nothing to do with motors. It's for connecting a controller to various accessories like throttle, brake sensor, lights, display, etc.. Generally every wire in a cable like that is the same thickness.

There are 9 pin cables that connect from a controller to a motor, but they are quite different. The motor cable has 3 very high current lines called the phase lines. These are the three lines the controller sends more power to in a repeating cycle when the throttle is high. They are generally larger and thicker in the motor cable connector to handle all the current without overheating. The motor cable can also have wires for the power and ground to the hall sensors, signal wires for the three hall sensors, optionally another signal wire for an rpm/speed hall sensor, and optionally a wire for a temperature sensor.

If you check the Grin site, you can see a cross section of a 9 pin motor cable:
PinoutRef01a.p (1).png

Note it doesn't have a pin for throttle since throttle goes between the controller and the throttle, not between the throttle and the motor.

That first picture is a 9 pin cable, yes. Unfortunately, it has nothing to do with motors. It's for connecting a controller to various accessories like throttle, brake sensor, lights, display, etc.. Generally every wire in a cable like that is the same thickness.

There are 9 pin cables that connect from a controller to a motor, but they are quite different. The motor cable has 3 very high current lines called the phase lines. These are the three lines the controller sends more power to in a repeating cycle when the throttle is high. They are generally larger and thicker in the motor cable connector to handle all the current without overheating. The motor cable can also have wires for the power and ground to the hall sensors, signal wires for the three hall sensors, optionally another signal wire for an rpm/speed hall sensor, and optionally a wire for a temperature sensor.

View attachment 339925

Note it doesn't have a pin for throttle since throttle goes between the controller and the throttle, not between the throttle and the motor.
Oh that explains it all .My mistake was in thinking I could connect the throttle to the motor via another cable .Thanks for all that info and regards Leo.

View attachment 339925

Hi again There is an empty tiny plug socket in the controller can this have a throttle plugged into it ? Thanks.

Attachments

• DSC03533.JPG
    DSC03533.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 10

View attachment 339925

Can the spare socket in between the red and black wires be used in some way to connect a throttle to it ?

Attachments

• DSC03538.JPG
    DSC03538.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 9
Could prevent you from rotating the connector 180 degrees and plugging it in. So it could be protection from putting the - on the + wire, basically, since you can't plug it in backwards.

Could prevent you from rotating the connector 180 degrees and plugging it in. So it could be protection from putting the - on the + wire, basically, since you can't plug it in backwards.
Ok so it looks like I can`t ever add a throttle.No matter I replaced the rear cluster with a low gear having 28 teeth with a 34 teeth unit which makes take off so much easier.

Back