• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

'91 Rockhopper seem right?

judson

10 mW
Hey,

This is my first post. Some circumstances in my life have changed and I am now excited to be a ble to commute by bike this next school year (starts in September). My goal is to be able to build my own ebike by then. I have tinkered with bikes and built up a couple bikes. I am new however to the electric bike. My question today is about getting the right bike/frame to begin with.

Here are some helpful facts: My commute is extremely urban, about 10 miles in length (one way) and with some medium hills. I have the means to charge at work or home. I am interested in doing some pedalling myself for fitness reasons. I weigh about 180 currently. My budget for the project is about $1500, though I wouldn't mind spending less! :mrgreen:

Here are some thoughts/assumptions: My background is in touring and all my bikes are steel. I was thinking a bike like this might make a good ebike convert, but in a few posts I have read thus far it sounds like something even beefier might be better. I am leaning towards a brushless direct drive rear hub motor. This is mostly for ease of use, reliability and lower initial costs. This part of the equation is not my specialty so I am open to suggestions but this was my initial line of thinking. I was thinking 500W would be sufficient though I am open to more if it seems necessary.

I found a '91 Rockhopper frame on craigslist locally for about $99. Owner says it is in good condition and was 'tuned up' recently. I am assuming for that price it is essentially just a frame and that most of the accessories need replacement. Even the frame is going to get a thorough look over by me. So my question is, does this seem like the kind of bike that would make a good convert?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Old steel mountain bikes make excellent e-bike frames, IMO.

For hill climbing, I do believe a geared hub motor would be a better choice than direct drive. Alternatively, a mid drive (powered crank) uses the bicycle's drivetrain and thus gives you the full range of gears at the rear.

Welcome to the forum.
I had to check craigslist in Seattle for the rockhopper, as around here an old one is a $25 garage sale bike. I was amazed by the prices up there!

The bike should be good, and the price seems fair based on your market. There are some trade offs with a bike that old, but on the whole it should be a great bike to convert.

Yes, one of the trade-offs of living in a bike-friendly town. Thanks for checking in on that. I still have yet to see that bike but hopefully it works out and I can get started on the electronic side of my electric bike.

Good choice, any decent steel frame. $99 for a 91? Better be in fantastic shape! That bike would be $50 around here.

New rubber alone could make the bike worth $100 though. After all, decent shoes does cost $30-60 bucks just for the tires, let alone quality tubes.

Back