»»»»» Honkin 5000 MILE CLUB «««««

Hello? helloo llooo
ECHO! echooo echoooo oooo
Tyler? tylerrr lerrrr

wooHOO!!
I'm the first in the club!
Tried searching for it as I thought there was a 5 grand club already but it would seem just like the sperm that's the fastest swimmer,
I'M THE FIRST ONE TO PENETERATE THE BARRIER! (yay)
Although I thought I read some posts by a few members they do this much in a year? :shock:

I launched my inaugural ebike journey on Earth Day 2005.
Now a rather coincidental 3 years later almost to the day reached the magical 5 thousand mile mark, all without the benefit of gears & at a leisurely 19.5 mph max speed.
So let's see how many can get into the club ahead of safe while he's slowly accelerating spending his time shifting thru the cogs. :p

Would have been here last Sept. but my NiMH pack developed a weak cell just past 4800 miles.
Otherwise the bike has perfomed flawless with a broken kickstand the only failure, but with the kind of loads I haul, I'm not at all surprised tho.
So say 2.5 yrs., 2000 miles per year, very consistent mileage that I've acculmulated for over the 3 decades previous without power, only now I'm doing it while spending a little less time on the road.
I deliberately held off replacing the dud cell partly because I didn't want to be without power-assist in the snow & partly so that I could say the pack lasted 5000 miles.

The last 200 miles have been a slog tho, more pedal than power.
In trying to keep the weak cell from triggering the LVC I became intimately familiar with the pulse-n-glide throttle technique & discovered why it's more efficient.
And man, was I ever grateful to have even reduced power to help plow thru the drifts.
A week ago all the snow was long gone as we reached record high temps getting up to 70*F & managed to get in nearly hundred miles to just under the mark.
Then few days ago this last weekend we got a foot of snow & 15*F so I pulled myself up by the bootstraps to drive for the prize the last 15 miles I needed to hit the anniversary mark.

Adapting the Proclaimer's one hit wonder;

But I would ride 5000 miles
And I would ride 5000 more
Just to be the man who drove 10000 miles
To fall down at your door

Now to patch up my battery & see you at the 10 grand club in 2.5 years.

*UPDATE*

Coughed up a chain today (May19) at 5260 miles.
This is a first for me, I've never had a chain break b4 ever in the tens of thousands of miles in previous unpowered cycling.
This is the only new bike I've ever bought, all my previous rides being heavy steel cast-offs which made perfect winter beaters.
So either they don't make chains like they used to, or as I'm begining to suspect wax based chain lube, White Lightning in this case, doesn't live up to it's promise & isn't a very effective lubricant.

This incident reminded me that the one thing I wanted to be included in this thread was entries on some of the costs involved & that the 'club' not be strictly about rooster strutting.
The original outlay on the bike including motor, battery, shipping & tax was almost exactly $3 grand.
Accessories, front & rear racks with a couple of saddlebags, thudbuster & gel seat cover, lights, bell, fender, bar-ends, locks, I think that's about all it needed comes to a little less than $500.

As for consumable items, the 5000 miles must also be the magic number for when things break down.
In addition to a ded NiMH cell ($23) & now the chain ($30) needing replacement right around this distance figure, just a couple of days earlier I'd also replaced the brake pads ($25).
I was still on my original set of v-brakes that had worn right down to the nub including one pad that went a wee bit past the end (ouch).
That's when I also noticed that the combined weight of the motor & my usual payload on the rack had split the rear tire wall at several points along the rim.

The problem stemmed from the sidewall being continually chaffed by the rim as the tire flexed at the same point it had been weakened whenever I got a flat tire thru abrasion resulting from walking it home several miles without air.
I got three flat tires in the first two months of operating & for a while there it looked like the per mile cost of replacement tubes ($16) & tires would be a bigger expenditure than for the battery.
Since installing Mr.Tuffy tire liners ($24) I've only had one other flat a year after that when a shard of sheetmetal still managed to punch thru the liner & thick-wall tube clear to the other side & into the rim liner.
It seems the more things you put in the way to protect the tube the bigger & stupider the things that get attracted into it.
After that I'd bought a Specialized Crossroads Flak Jacket kevlar tire ($22) which I had planned to install after the next puncture, but haven't needed to thus far for better than a year & a half with no flats.
However the cumulative damage to the sidewall has taken it's toll so now it needs replacing regardless, which is a shame since there's still a lot of meat left on the tread.

Including the cracked kickstand which I haven't replaced yet & estimating $20 total cost of electricity that's about $175 in expenditures over the distance covered in past 3 years.
So depending on how you figure on amortizing costs, that equals anywhere from 3.5¢/mile in strictly operating cost, plus 70¢/mile (and dropping with each passing mile) total cost.
Personally I figure on the high side a realistic mean of 10¢/mile or more precisely about $2 per trip on a single charge, since the distance varies somewhat between 15 to 20 miles depending on the speed I average & how much I crank.
I hope this sheds some light on what to expect for anyone thinking about taking the plunge & hope that others that have stuck to it for this long will take a moment to share their experiences & some of their cost analysis.

I'd celebrate with a new seat...
arnod1.jpg

Y, none too particular how you does it as long as you does it.

A new seat definitely, how'd you know?
I think a suspension post & spring seat should be manadatory standard equipment on every non-FS ebikes.
The Velo Plush that came with my bike is the worst thing about it, it's simply not wide enuf & I'm not a big boy by any stretch.
It's clearly meant for the kind of riding where you're mostly standing on the pedals.
Yeah, I got a Thubduster early on which helped a lot but was still getting charlie-horse type sore.
The addition of a gel cover has made it tolerable but still undecided about a good replacement seat.
I wanna try out air cushion seat like this one but not sure if it's just a gimmick, anyone try it yet?
http://www.derri-air.com/derri-air-seat.htm

a little too much air.
I shouldn't say this cuz it'll make me sound even more like a lard-a55, but I've had bad luck with lawn chairs ripping apart on me at a spritely 140 lbs.
Don't want to think about that happening at speed, I can only imagine the pain in the Doctor Bass.

Link said:
That's a lot of miles. Only a few here have even done 5,000 on a single bike, but then again most of us are total mod whores and couldn't go a thousand miles without deciding something isn't satisfactory, even if it works like new. :p
I don't think I've ever been able to get that much distance on any single bike without caving in to the temptation to change something major on it. Getting to this point to me would mean that either I finally found something that's just about perfect, or that I've become a boring mediocrity pie eater.

Do scooters/motorcycles count in this contest?

I am close to starting a 10,000 km club myself. Just 400 miles to go - to mix the units up a bit.

I was over 5,000 mi on one of my my e-max's last fall. The other has close to 2000 mi - mostly wife's riding.

Hey PJD,

A friend of mine in murrysville is going to be holding the first meeting for the SW Pa electric vehicle owners club in early may. If you are interested in attending, let me know....

Len

Len,

Thanks. I very much might be interested. Will the meeting be in Murrysville? Considering that we are riding EV's, and considering why most of us are riding/driving EV's, (including that EV called the "T") a central location for the meeting in town (strip district, southside) would be a good idea. Keep me advised.

PJD said:
Do scooters/motorcycles count in this contest?

I am close to starting a 10,000 km club myself. Just 400 miles to go - to mix the units up a bit.

I was over 5,000 mi on one of my my e-max's last fall. The other has close to 2000 mi - mostly wife's riding.

So long as it's electric, hell yeah.
That's why this thread is in the EV & not the ebike forum.

Do you think maybe a 6214 mile club is called for the rest of the civilized world :)
Congrats on the kilometerstone, how many years to accomplish the feat?
Thought I was the only ironbutt, I'm not doing too bad considering there's only 5 months of decent weather that I get in 90% of my miles.

T-U-Z,

Those miles were accumulated since the fall of 2005. I'd have more miles, but the controller went down (cheap Chinese construction - road vibration shook the filter capacitors off the PC board), and I also moved during the time. I also had to do a few upgrades to obtain reasonable performance in hilly conditions.

I live in an area very amenable to electric scooters with a 45 mph max speed and a 20-25 mile range. I use my scooter for commuting every day that the average temperature is above freezing and without steady precipitation. The scooters are used for most routine errands or entertainment too.

All you need is a thick skin - the city is fine, but in suburban areas, I have to put up with a certain amount of puerile mocking and insults from young adults as I ride by - Chinese style scooters (they call them "mopeds") are not popular here.

Toorbough ULL-Zeveigh

Could the name be changed to just "The 5000 Mile Club?"

What did you mean by Honkin anyway, is that your last name or something or are you saying you are "honking" like a car horn?

Also, do you have any idea what the battery alone cost?

From that we could get a "cents per mile" number on your pack alone. (which is NiMh, so that gives me confidence that NiCads could go a long way too) Figuring in all the other stuff like tires, tubes, chains, etc confuses the issue.

I come up with 4.6 cents per mile on mine... just for comparison...

And congratulations... you did sneak past me... darn! :oops:

safe said:
Could the name be changed to just "The 5000 Mile Club?"

mmmmm..no.
to the victor go the spoils.

definition of 'honkin' that I'm applying tung-n-cheek. (eww-yuk!)
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=honkin'

And sure, when you reach the mark, give a little toot in celebration, which is completely another def for honking.
"honking - The sudden overwhelming stench of a recently (usually warm and squeaky) dropped fart that is so potent it can peel paint off the wall and even make the receivers nose fall off. These farts have also been known to have a blast radius of twenty feet and last a good ten minutes after detonation."

The bike only comes complete with battery et.al. but a replacement battery can be had for $450.
However that includes the BMS as well as the entire enclosure which happens to be whole front wheel.
The stupid thing is that buying the cells separately in quantity 30 would cost $600 for the identical Saft or $250 for batteryspace generics, so takes yer pik which cost figure you want to use.

I use the $450 figure as the average which the manufacturer said should have been good for 500 cycles or 10,000 miles at typical 20 miles/cycle.
I got almost exactly half that b4 the first cell got beat up, but now that I've identified the cause & discontinued the damage caused by regen charging I'm more hopeful that the pack will still go a long ways towards reaching that mark.
Theoretically that's 4.5¢/mile for the pack, plus a couple of cents for a few replacement cells along the way as well as some other unexpected things are sure to crop up (like needing a new fork maybe?), add the 3.5¢ for the dispensibles & that is how I came up with a ballpark of 10¢/mile on the outside for the overall cost.
The other stuf needs to be included for a proper comparison, it's not that confusing, simply a matter of accounting.
True, the battery is the single largest cost factor but like I said, if I had continued to get flat tires at the rate I was going, constantly buying fresh rubber was near equal to the battery expense if I were to have done the calculation over the first 3 months, so the other little things add up.

I don't like the lo-ball figures in any cost analysis cuz bragging that I happened upon a good deal is of little benefit to anyone else & prefer to stick with numbers that anyone can get.
For example I don't know why people keep saying SLA's are so cheap cuz I certainly haven't found that to be the case.
My opinion is that lead batteries are as expensive as any other, at least around here & even a good deal thousands of miles away will end up costing me more in transporting the heavy load.

I think 10¢/mile is more representative even if it is slightly on the high side.
It's a cost point that anyone can expect to at least equal & more likely only do better, but really anything below a dime per mile then we've reached the point where we're splitting pennies.

BTW it's Queen Victoria's birthday today, aka Dependance Day here in Canuckistan so don't let pass by the excuse to crack open a Guinness regardless of your mileage.
Remember it only looks like motor oil.
Rule, Britannia!
Britannia, rule the waves!
(*erp*)

I thought I'd be a member here as I drive 1000 miles a year.I had to dig up the receipt for the original bike and it turns out I bought it in June 2004,so I'm only at 4000 miles....Second motor (nothing wrong with the original just switched to a C-lyte) and second set of 36v worth of sla.

Bummer one more year to go :( Oh well next June.

Eric

5,000 miles. Six months in the average car, probably a little longer for a motorcycle but it truly seems to take a long time with a bicycle. In fact, come to think of it, 5,000 miles in a powerboat is a LOT of miles and not all that easy to do, I know I don't have that many on my boat and might not have that many with all the boats I've had, combined.

Coming back from the golf course today, in the rain, I glanced at one of my computers expecting to see it fixing to turn 2,700 miles. Since this particular computer has been on the bike for about 13 months I've been watching to see how long it was going to take to reach 3,000. Much to my chagrin it said 99.9 and that is what it said all the way home. Time for another which means I'll forget how many this one had on in after awhile. The other computer is newer but I never check the odometer and use the trip meter, it's nice to have one of each handy.

Regardless, I know how much I ride and I ride a lot and 5,000 miles is a lot. Praise the Lord for Crystalyte and LiPO4's.

Mike

I'm just about to reach 3,600 miles with just regular old SLA. You do not need anything fancy to get there.

:arrow: I think it helps to "go fast". (wasteful, but more fun)

If it takes half an hour at 30 miles per hour to go 15 miles, then if you are only able to go 15 miles per hour (and still go the same time) you only rack up a little over seven miles.

:arrow: The time calculation would be:

5000 miles / 30 miles per hour = 167 hours

5000 miles / 15 miles per hour = 333 hours

Going slow doubles the ride time to get the miles...

So I still have:

5000 - 3600 = 1400 miles / 30 miles per hour = 47 hours

...which means I have a full workweek worth of time left on the bike to get there. Normally (because of recharging issues) I can only cover at most 30 miles per day.

Using that metric:

1400 miles / 30 miles per day = 47 days. :shock:

Putting it in terms of gas only 250 gallons at 20mpg is 5000 miles. At 3.50 per gallon that is $875. It looks very difficult to recoup the cost of an ebike in gas savings. Not that I care, I can't wait to build my sickeningly expensive ebike. Then I can start my journey to the 5k club :)

Ummm- I know you said "gas only". How about then rating it against the power used to push a bike 5000 miles? what 20 bucks maybe?

An ebike is much more cost effective means of single person transportation. In fact, I think I read that a bicycle is THE most efficient form of transportation.

I went for a *legal* ebike because I could get to work in about the same time ( 7 miles ) and not have to buy tags and insurance.

Edit: Just the sales tax alone on my last car was ~$2000. Then I had to cough up 650 dollars for plates!! :roll: You can build a hell of an ebike for that kind of money.

Joepostal said:
At 3.50 per gallon that is $875.
I did 3,000 miles using SLA for about $138.

So it is possible to go electric and go cheap at the same time. But most people are in love with the "latest and greatest" and are willing to be impractical for the sake of having amazingly low weight.

:arrow: With electric vehicles money translates to low weight.

The "cost effectiveness" issue is not a well respected topic these days and your "coolness" is based not on cheapness, but on low weight. (and cycle life)

Though they did have a tv report about womens fashions at WalMart... so maybe cheapness might have a future after all. :wink:

Cheapness only becomes "cool" when the times get hard enough.

safe said:
With electric vehicles money translates to low weight... The "cost effectiveness" issue is not a well respected topic these days and your "coolness" is based not on cheapness, but on low weight. (and cycle life)
This topic is about 5000 honkin miles, not your SLAs and ebike weight. Come back when you can post on-topic.

Hey EMF, newb here... I totally agree that cars can be a hell of a lot more expensive. What do you think about the following...

I am certain that gas only is not counting many things but it is more than $20 to walk 5000 miles pushing a bike. If you ate rice and beans for $2 per day and could walk the bike 25 miles per day then it would cost you $400 to push the bike since it would take you 200 days to push the bike 5000 miles. So based on gas(pardon the pun) only your body is about twice as efficient as a car?

I find it funny that I can purchase a black and white tube tv for $14 at the grocery store but a decent Ethernet cable from CompUSA is $30. Money is completely screwed up... People pay what ever companies desire based on timing and need.

Getting 5k miles out of 130 dollars is a great use of cash.

Since I am not an ebiker and I wish to be an ebiker all I can say is you guys ROCK!

Let's be clear:

The member that went 5000 miles spent a bit more than 130 bux. His update to his original post outlines the costs.

The member that spent 138 bux on SLA to go 3000mi, built a custom electric motorcycle that can only be ridden in warm weather, in Missouri. Sailboats ride the wind for free, but building, maintaining and storing them cost $$$.... and you wouldn't use one to get to the hospital.

THREE HONKS FOR TURBOBREATH!!! First to 5k

TylerDurden said:
THREE HONKS FOR TURBOBREATH!!! First to 5k
He was the first on this board to go 5,000 miles... I would think that someone, somewhere might have done it too, but we just don't know about it. Also, the "rules" for our contest seem to suggest that you cannot modify the BATTERY itself in order to get to 5,000 miles. So had his pack failed before 5,000 miles then he would not be able to make the claim.

If "someone" where to ride with an SLA based pack for 3,000 miles and then had to replace some of the original cells in the pack (or any other battery related issue) then the attempt ends.

:arrow: This means for ANY chemistry you need to be able to have essentially a "sealed pack" that isn't touched and proves it's reliability for the whole distance.

The Indy 500 race is on today... once the car is entered into the race there are rules about what you can and cannot do to it. You could not practice and qualify with one car and then race with another... however you are free to change things like tires.

The overall "cost issue" is blending into this thread and it's a natural thing to happen. The moment you start to think about range you tend to ask "how much"?

But to be "official" this just has the rule:

"No modifications of your original pack for the duration."

...maybe someone will surpass this. (mine will not)

Back