Adding a motor

jabatch

1 µW
I’m adding a 1800watt 48volt 4500 rpm max 33amp controller . Need to determine if I need a jack shaft or can I go direct to 26” rear wheel sprocket . I would like to mount motor under frame just in front of rear wheel . Can I get advise on what sprockets I will need to help assist me when pulling hills .?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 6
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 6
I’m adding a 1800watt 48volt 4500 rpm max 33amp controller . Need to determine if I need a jack shaft or can I go direct to 26” rear wheel sprocket . I would like to mount motor under frame just in front of rear wheel . Can I get advise on what sprockets I will need to help assist me when pulling hills .?
Heavy tandem load, pulling hills, 26" wheels, definitely jack shaft.
That motor is gonna be happy spinning ~3000rpm or faster, you can calculate the gears needed using one of the many online gear ratio sites.

Even better, if you go to the ebikes.ca motor simulator, you can setup a simulation of the basics of your system, bike, riding conditions/terrain/etc., and use the middrive option with various gearing, using either a similar-power-level motor already in the simulator, or entering parameters for a custom one.

This way you can figure out the power required to do the job you need it to, to be sure that what you are adding is sufficient or overkill, etc., and then find the best gear ratio for the motor's RPM at the voltage you're running it at vs the speed you need it to go and the load you will put on it.

Back