another 80-100 rear drive build thread (now with Tongxin)

Impressive. I'm following everything you do.

So, I've got a question for now. The freewheels, you used a Dicta freewheel already attached to the chainwheel (front sprocket). How do they attach to each other?
Your recommendation is UK£ 39.95 = $63.32 U.S. dollars before shipping form the UK. Naturally, since you're in Germany, your suppliers are in Europe. I'm in the US, and it usually isn't worth buying from European suppliers for me because of the shipping cost.

I'm wondering if buying the chainwheel & freewheel combined is the way to go. The alternative is getting them separately and attaching them to each other via a crank spider or something.

I did a quick search on the nuvinci max power and found http://www.motoredbikes.com/showthread.php?t=8227 :

[...] if you expect them to last,and it would seem prudent to limit the torque input to below 70,corresponding to about 1.7 HP.(at 130 input rpm)

So about 1.0 - 1.5 kW max power. But it must be talking about the n171 because that thread was from 2008.

I'd probably agree with you here and lean more towards the manufacturer's spec for max power (for the 360). There doesn't seem to be much real world testing out there unfortunately, even on the older 171 models.

The most special thing with the freewheel crank is the SPIDER!!

It's just a special crank arm with BSA-threads on it.

Don't know if I would spend the $65 for this agian. Because most times I pedal anyway :shock:

If fallbrook says, the NUVinci can last 5KW, than it will I guess, just look at that link again I posted

Has anyone ever seen a gearless friction drive planetary except the NuVinci? Opened up a so called "geared" sensorless hubmotor a Q126-SWX, reated at 36V, 210 rpm and 6.1amps
The ratio is about 1:10 I guess
I'd like to see how this performs at 72V
I ask myself if a KU123 100V caps can handle 72V??

c0wc00vgt58hf7pqj.jpg

I think this gearless hub motor will slip and not do very much at high power. They also have been known to crack the outer ring. If you want power, it has to be gears, not friction type.

crossbreak said:
Has anyone ever seen a gearless friction drive planetary except the NuVinci? Opened up a so called "geared" sensorless hubmotor a Q126-SWX, reated at 36V, 210 rpm and 6.1amps
The ratio is about 1:10 I guess
I'd like to see how this performs at 72V
I ask myself if a KU123 100V caps can handle 72V??

c0wc00vgt58hf7pqj.jpg
Hey Crossbreak!
Where can I get a motor like that? I don't think if it is like the Tongxin it will take 72 volts but they are quiet!
otherDoc

I think this gearless hub motor will slip and not do very much at high power. They also have been known to crack the outer ring. If you want power, it has to be gears, not friction type.

Thanks for your post! Sorry, my post is OT because this motor is not meant to be build on the black bike this thread is about.

High power at low weight means high rpm, which means a lot of noise with gears. My 80100 concept is really noisy. Couldn't get it much more quiet by encapsulating it.

The gearless drive will slip if the max torque is reached. Just like the NuVinci. I tested it with 20amps at 36V, that was ok. So it should even last 20amps at 100V because the torque will stay the same. I guess the best efficency region of this inrunner motor is at 5amp at 2000rpm and about 42Volts input (just my 2 cents). It's a 15N4P inrunner with a about 50KV.

I wanna go for 55V with 15s lipo or 72V with 20s, but I want to stay below 15amps. I want to use a KU63. I guess 55V are all it can take. The FETS are HY-1707 rated for 70V. I will change the caps.

Its for my 1KWH long range stealth bike with middle motor. The motor mount will be in the lower frame triangle. I will post picture in new thread soon. It has a thirty year old 3-speed Sachs Torpedo Hub which has really little friction and is very durable to beat hills.

crossbreak said:
Sadly I can't tell you where to get such a motor. The guy I bought it from is a polish guy who disappeared
Well Crossbreak, thanks anyway. There is a thread on a Tongxin motor as a mid-drive on someone's trike that looked quite professional. He used it attached to the front boom of the tadpole and ran it off a left side freewheel on the threaded portion of the case. It seems to be ideal since you have a split axle on those motors and there is really no weight as a midrive on it.
otherDoc

Hey docnjoj !

Thanks for the TongXin MidDrive tip! It's just like I imagine, also thanks to y amberwolf who tried to build that:

file.php

file.php

file.php

amberwolf shows us a 24t sprocket on the motor

I think the sprocket is too large for my purpose

The motor does 190rpm at 36V. I want 100 at the crankwheel. I have 38t on it. So I calculate t=38/190*100=20

I guess I will be lucky with 18.

Yes I am definitely looking forward to following AW's build.
otherDoc

c10fwtp8lkodjfggo.jpg

c10fx19edqsbvffo8.jpg

c10fx7cp2pynsfjfc.jpg

c10fxhaxrbzkc6as8.jpg

Notice that one bearing is missing. I had only one 12x21x5mm one, I have to buy a second. It should be pushed into the right part in the picture below. Also a bushing which should be between the bearings isn't manufactured jet.

c10fxpmf5cy2ncil4.jpg

I know that a second freewheel doesnt make much sence, but the one I used has much less drag than the originial one still build-in.

That looks very professional and sanitary, Crossbreak. I will subscribe mainly to see how well that roller motor holds up!
otherDoc

OK! Now you got me :D

I will test this motor in my black mountainbike first, just like the Conhis motor ;)
i mean this one (note my new 130mm fork and 203mm brake rotor :D )

The fork was 40 bucks from the bay, the disk about 10 with shipping from china

I can also recommend the upper head light ( an Cree XML T6 Flaslight front end ), for about 15 bucks with shipping from the chinese bay.

c13j44xseju3e0b1k.jpg

c14mlyk21uq4p081g.jpg

Awesome crossbreak! Thanks for the insite on many different topics and all the pics. :shock:

I just read both of your threads. You have done a lot of different things in a short time! Very cool!

I was just looking into breaks. I see that a 9" disc rotor is available for the Fox-40 (the fork I'm using), I was thinking about going for that but are much more expesive than ~$10. from china for a 203mm!

Oh, gotta cut it short, baby's crying! :cry:

Later,
Jay

GITech said:
I was just looking into breaks. I see that a 9" disc rotor is available for the Fox-40 (the fork I'm using), I was thinking about going for that but are much more expesive than ~$10. from china for a 203mm!

the 10 bucks was an auction. But there are tektro brake disks for 15 bucks fixed price. 9" would be more than 203mm.
But advertance for your bayb is most important. Don't bother with disk brakes ;) My drive would be further if I'd have done that. Maybe I'd even had a child myself :D I see that you postet just minutes ago.. are you from europe?

You have done a lot of different things in a short time! Very cool!
that's what a learning engineer does ;) I dont want to do sth. else the next 5 years. My concepts get cheaper lighter and more simple with each iteration (about 35 yet).

But I will come back to the first topic (80-85 hub) again.

Im really intersted in your topic. Please post more pics also ;)

Finished the tongxin motor today (bushings etc.) , next sundays comes the housing. Sry for no pics.

I also started a tutorial thread about the delta to star resoldering for getting 75KV out of the 80-100 KV130, which I hope will be finished next sunday also:

http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=36767

I threw away my primary concept. Not really stealthy. The new one is more :mrgreen:
I exchanged the 18T 1/2"x1/8" frewheel sprocket for a 15T 8mmx3mm sprocket. That way the motor can be mounted below thebottom bracket.

Sadly I couldn't write the WYE tutorial, since I had too much to do. But here's the finished Tongxin motor, sadly I had no time for a mount yet :(
You can hope for next weekend :D

Notice the slots i sawed in to make it possible to push the motor into the extruded 90mm (100mm outer dia) alu alloy tube. The motor measures 91.05mm in diameter (edit: the upper cast piece is only 90.5mm). It was too hard to push it with the bench wise without the slots. I can pull it out again with a puller.
c1gly52hkb42un28a.jpg

c1glt5v7yo8crwv7u.jpg

c1gltm5c9m3i6kgzu.jpg

c1gltxln1vipviih6.jpg

Notice the rather short chain
The sprocket has 15, the chainwheel 35 teeth.
Iknow that this is really thight, but it saves so much place. Let's see how long it will survive ;)
c1gluazdoumzyche2.jpg

The mounts bend too much, thats why the chain makes noises and sporadicly jumped off. I fixed this problem by adding 2x20mm aluminium bars between the housing and the bracket to keep the distance when the motor pulls on the chain. It's a kind of a chain tensioner, it's not final, but it now works completely silent, the noise from the wheels is louder :D No cyclist or pedestrian I pass recognizes me first if I don't bell
c2h252ymsodzbg0v8.jpg

another bar on the tension side of the chain:

c2h25epd56atx057o.jpg

The last problem to solve is the load on the front freewheel. It sometimes stalls, it''s bended to hard. the distance between it and the chain ring is too large (I marked it in the picture below). Another bearing between the shaft and the chainring could take this load (it's also shown in the cad picture below)
c1ocqcsu3y4zwr1zp.jpg

here you can see the bearing between the chainring and the bottom bracket that i meant.
The 8mm chain was waste after about 90km :( I'll try a 3/8 x 7/32" chain with 13 to 32T now.
c1or7mionuij8kout.jpg

the swing arm isn't where it should, but it shows the principle.

c1or5q5dcib336eol.jpg

Back