Attempt at posting pic of FS with MAC and battery placement experiment

MikeSSS

1 kW
IMG_0637.JPG

An older Mongoose with MAC 12T and 52V, 20Ah battery.

Now building a battery box to mount the battery over the top tube, since it won't fit under the down tube.

Edit to add, 105 miles so far, no problems. Miles per Ah are around 5.55 average.

Nice looking FS eBike, & fine paint
Nice work and good luck you can mount the battery on the top tube.

I notice all the locks you have on it. Raw chain, sleeved chain or cable, and yellow Kryptonite. Hopefully you have a motion detecting light and a hidden camera, have you thought of an audible alarm if the bike is moved?
If the bike was entirely black, including seat post, handlebars, fork, stem, rims, brake arms ... it would help too. Maybe even a black backing on the porch between the bike and the railing. Dunno about the can of OFF, the gloves and the seat, looks like a Dollarama seat.

Nice ebike, the MAC motor looks small in the pic.

Local bike thief tried to steal my last ebike from the porch, two other attempts to steal it were made too. None were able to take it.

The Kryptonite Keeper is locked to prevent it from being stolen. It's the big OnGuard chain and Kryptonite New York Fahgettaboudit Mini that prevent the bike from being taken. The Fahgettaboudit Mini fits easier through the OnGuard chain than through the biggest Kryptonite chain. Kryptonite dropped the ball on sizing their chain to work with their locks.

Cameras? Why yes, three, all recording. That's how I got the pics and video of the last thief and how I found him.

Battery placement has been in the Harbor Freight bag on the back rack. This combined with the rear hub motor made the bike pretty tail heavy, aft CG as it were. Still the bike handled very well in my low speed riding and did the tight turns better than the DD front hub motor bikes it replaced.

Today I built a battery box that sat atop the top tube. Though this position is too high, it did result in moving the CG forward some. I noticed a slightly better ride over bumps and even better handling in the narrow and sharp turns. (Handling in the higher speed turns has always been good.) Unfortunately it became obvious to the casual observer that this was not just another pedal bike.

Next step will be to find an older but good quality FS bike with 26" wheels and that can accommodate the battery in the front triangle. Or perhaps I'll have to get a different and smaller battery as well as a different bike.

Back