Aussie Role Call

HAHA... If your ever over in the west your welcome to call in for a beer and a chat...goes for all Aussie members always keen for a chat about e-bikes...aaand "horticulture" :: wink ::

KiM

sweet kim,
thats nice of you.
like wise,if you ever over in sydney.your more than welcome at my place m8.
take care
alex

mmm i'm an aussie

What the!!! you moved from Sunny Perth to freezing Tassie :-| My uncle did the same loves the climate over there he aint fond of hot weather...have you any more pics of the trike mate, i think you will have MAJOR issues with keeping the front wheel on the road hehehe...

KiM

carvin marvin,very nice build m8
ive read some where that in some state of aust,i think its tassie actually,the govnment is doing some sort of trial for posties using ebikes for there deliveries,i hanvnt seen the actual ebikes they plan on using or using if its already happening,
but i would guess they would use a 200watt underpowered hub of some sort,but maybe not,since you have to have a motorbike licence to ride the common petrol postie bikes,the 200watt law wont apply,so your type of build would be perfect.i would imagine....
either way top build.
Alex

alswiseowl said:
since you have to have a motorbike licence to ride the common petrol postie bikes,the 200watt law wont apply,so your type of build would be perfect.i would imagine....
either way top build.
Alex

The license is worthless if the bike is not registered though, you would be busted for riding an un-licensed vehicle (possibly un-roadworth if the cops didnt get a root the night before and wanted to be pricks about it...) ...our ebike laws suck ass :: sigh :: I have a good mate whos a postie he LOVES the job, he used to work in I.T says he would never go back even though there's more money in it, hes home most days before 3 ...

KiM

That's great stuff Carv'n!

If you decide to start a thread on your trike (and I hope you do!), I'd be curious to hear your how you settled on a 1 front wheel 2 rear wheel design compared to the tilting 2 front 1 rear like the new Piaggio MP3 are running around on.

Did you win a tender to do the new postie bike design?

Carv'n Marv'n said:
...didn't win a tender, just an adventurous personal project.

...There are a few reasons why I went with 1 front wheel.... keeping the front end as narrow as possible was essential...so you can get as close as possible to the mail boxes. The design is inspired by the "TRIKKE" - two trailing wheels, in which your standing on the main swing-arms which provide the tilt.... this means that your able to maintain balance at all times without having to put your foot on the ground or activate the locking mechanism, even on steep terrain. I wanted that feeling of carving like a downhill skiier, with your legs being able to provide the overiding controll and stability.
Manouvreablility and Simplicity were other reasons (the TRIKKE is as simple as it gets)... I also wanted to be able to pop a wheelie, and use two Hub drives for drive traction, braking and regen. (not that this couldn't have been achieved in the front wheels).

designs such as the MP3, the Brudeli Leinster and the Wesll Suspension 4-wheeler are all amazing craft..... but not specifically designed to deliver the mail in Australia.

Cool, thanks for the comments.

I see posties riding on and off curbs on their current ICE bikes. Do you foresee any complications doing the same with the smaller back wheels?

I don't follow three wheeled vehicles closely but I knew the MP3 design was not totally new. However, I haven't seen a production tilting vehicle on a scale like it before. There's actually quite a few of them zipping around Sydney.

First up. Yep. Aussie. Raised in Perth, now in Melbourne. Missing the Perth weather at the moment. Been commuting every day right through a Melbourne winter, as I managed to get into eBikes just as winter hit.

Carv'n Marv'n said:
...didn't win a tender, just an adventurous personal project.

Good on ya Carv'n. Great to see someone having a crack at a production vehicle. You should start a thread for your trike. Otherwise I am going to drag this one off topic more. Couple of questions...

Have you been chatting to authorities about registering it yet? I would love to know how hard it is and what sort of effort is required.

Hope you have been talking to Aust Post, to make sure they are interested. Would hate to see all your efforts not reap some rewards.

Adrian

alswiseowl said:
im Alex from sydney hornsby area

Hi All,

I'm Woody, also from the hornsby area.

I'm on the AEVA forum and planning an EV car (Cortina).

I also ride to work (35km to Pyrmont) about one day a week with other nutters.

My cunning scheme is to x5304 my bike and ride to+from work every day, which should be more fun, save me money and maybe pay off my setup in 18 months or so.

cheers,
Woody

Hey guys

bit of a long time lurker on these forums and new to posting

Matt (1000w) had referred me to this forum a while back from a very helpful email, and finding this forum was pretty much best advice i could get.

i been born and raised in Sydney..
and just have the single cyclone assisted mountain bike however plan to expand my collection later.

Adam

I better chime in I suppose.
I just saw this thread and realised I tend to only look at the ebike section and not so much all the others.
I'm an Aussie too, in the Sutherland Shire area of Sydney.
I started out keen to do an electric car conversion but thought it wise to tackle something smaller first. Good thing I did, because over a year later I'm onto my 3rd ebike and Ithink EVs will be commercially available before I'm done playing with hotted up pushies :p
I've got a thread here, so I won't reinvent the wheel (pardon the pun!) posting about my build(s)
http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=8482

I've rallied a few people to the cause and am currently in the process of building up a few bikes for people at work. If I get a few more interested I'm going to commandeer one of the bike racks and designate it an ebike rack with a charging outlet :) I ride every day its not raining 32ks return. My other ride is a modded XR6 turbo so I save a fortune in petrol by riding, plus I enjoy it. My wife and I had out first baby 9 months ago and it's usually frowned upon when I nick off for rides and leave her with the baby but riding to work and detouring home is my free pass :)

Gday guys, i'm north of the river in Perth. Haven't got the bike out for a few months as it needs a bit of work though.

Hey mate, hoping to get a ride organised in a month or so now, im thinking mid January might be a good time after all the Christams goings on etc, shall get some details upped for discussion then see which times best suit members and where they would like to go for a ride etc etc etc...i still haven't got a ride atm my trikes stripped and new cruiser still in build stage :: sigh :: Good to hear from you anywayz we have quite a few Perthites now :)

KiM

G'Day all,
Another Aussie - NE Melbourne.
Building a brushed 24V bike at the moment while planning a Crystalite rear hub e-commuter.

Got one 2-stroke and one 4-stroke motorised bikes as well. Into e-bikes now and offloading the petrol bikes to fund the e-commuter.

Cheers,
Glenn

Welcome to Endless Sphere mate :) Pity about the ICE bikes having too go i think alot more will be following suit seeing they are ilegal and the police are starting to clamp down on them now .... Pop some pics up of your ride in the ebike picture section when you ready everyone will be keen too see your ride im sure...

KiM

G'day Kim and boys,

I'm Paul, fresh off the boat from Brisbane now living in WA.
Im slowly building my 1st ebike, a norco empire 5 with a bit of lipo, astro 8150 and a semi-custom frame. Not much to do now before the ev-grin sets in :D

Paul :D

G'day, don't seem to be many from Brisbane here. I'm on the southside, right next to Daisy Hill state forest where I do most of my riding.

Bikes all MTB - Giant AC 6" dually, Avanti agressor hardtail, old rigid raleigh converted singlespeed, Diamondback - rigid, plus other frames and bits and pieces.... Hope to add a tadpole trike and ditch one ICE vehicle. Oh, you mean electric bikes? Um, just the one pusher trailer of 250/350W getting near to completion that I should be able to hook up to most of the above.

Hi all,
I'm from Brisbane North Bay side. I also gave up both my ICE rides due to the pressure of getting nabbed as I used the bike way through the Boondall Wetlands to get to work.
This is my current build http://www.endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=11066 all was going good and did my final hook-up after finishing my housing for the electronics and for some reason I cooked the controller and throttleizer.I have put it all in the corner while I think about what went wrong, as I had tested it plenty of times and was always careful and never had a problem. Even after the smoke cleared I went through the whole thing bit by bit and could not see what caused it.

I will cry and bitch and get emotional ever time I see another bike, but I will get over the loss and move on.

Happy new year all

Alex

Gidday,
Lawrie, from Perth (Beechboro). Just came across this forum just now. I've got a couple .. an Elation kit on a mountain bike, and a tadpole trike that is going (pretty damn well!) but not finished. Some photos, videos http://osv.freehostia.com/trike.html

Cheers

Gidday fellow Aussies,

Yet another Perth-ite (actually imported from Sydney about 4 years ago). Finally got my Jamis steel frame bike + Bafang 200W rear motor + 36V Headway LiFePO4 going late last year (with no thanks to Brett White :evil:). More on that later....

Would be keen to catch up over here for a beer or two. Someone around the river might be nice. If we can't find a bike friendly watering hole then perhaps Lawrie could hook up an esky to that magnificant trike of his?

marshy (Damian)

Back