Bafang SSHD mid drive firmware link location? please

Twistydave

100 µW
Southeast, Asheville NC and Charleston SC
I hope, I don't upset anyone because I was unable to locate the topic of SSHD downloadable firmware for adjusting options such as throttle, speed and the such. I am sorry and a bit perplexed that a forum search for sshd only brought up 2 threads. If someone could generously share the link for the SSHD firmware download that would be greatly appreciated. Thank you. I have added a mid-drive to my Fat Tire ebike and it is limited to 24mph and the power engagement is too abrupt for my taste. Hahah to much power to start and too little top end. It does pull my dog trailer with 136lbs of happy dogs very well. Think it is faster than my 500watt hub motor accelleration with no trailer on it. Yep, two motors on this bike and 48 WH of battery. The hub motor couldn't pull the trailer through the deep beach sand now it spins the wheel. Harr Dee Harr Harr OH, I'm not going that fast with the dogs or trailer. Thanks

Twistydave said:
I hope, I don't upset anyone because I was unable to locate the topic of SSHD downloadable firmware for adjusting options such as throttle, speed and the such. I am sorry and a bit perplexed that a forum search for sshd only brought up 2 threads.

I suspect you are looking for the BBSHD, as there is no Bafang system initialed SSHD that I am aware of. (the two threads I found refer to solid state hard drives).

There are a few firmwares for it, but you may want to know that you could brick your system by flashing the wrong one to it. I don't know that there's a specific FW to adjust the options you're after; there may be a PC-based setup program to do this, however, if they are not adjustable in the menu options on-screen on the bike. Because I dont' know which one you would need, I don't have a link to one.

I have added a mid-drive to my Fat Tire ebike and it is limited to 24mph
When you set it up with the driven wheel offground, then at max throttle / etc does it spin the exact same speed that it did when riding it?

If yes, then it is being limited by the system.

If not, and it goes a little faster offground, then it is probably that the gearing of the bike vs the size of the wheel is simply too low for it to go any faster. Changing the front sprocket to a larger one would fix that.

and the power engagement is too abrupt for my taste. Hahah to much power to start and too little top end.
This can probably also be fixed with a gearing change; using a larger sprocket in teh front that drives the chain to teh rear will give a faster top speed, and lower torque at the lowest speed.

hahaha Yeah it's BBHD. Oh my. Tks. I found one through LUNA cycle. https://electricbike.com/forum/forum/builds/custom-ebike-motor-programming/bbshd-programming/43287-basics-of-programming-bbs02-and-bbshd-mid-drives
The drivechain alterations, I am aware of. I added a 52 tooth front sprocket and had to add a few links to the chain. The motor is absolutely limited it is quite apparent of an reduction of acceleration once 24 mph is hit.

Did you do the offground test? If not, you need to do that. It's very simple.

You'll get a reduction of power when you hit the voltage/winding/gearing limit too.

Thank you for the Off Ground test idea. I just saw your post this evening. We thought about it this afternoon and I am going to do it tomorrow, I hope. I did get the Firmware downloaded and changed the wheel size to 16 inches. I got to 30mph for a second on flat ground, bummer.... I was hopping for the mid 30's for safety in one 1/2 mile section of my commute. It is really much quicker but like a golf cart it has snappy acceleration then just stops accelerating. I read and watched some of Justin's videos about winding speed on the hub motors wonder if that is it but will find out the top speed when I do that off the ground test. The Motor Sumulator tool appears to confirm the slower speeds but I'm just learning. One thing for sure removing the front brake engine cut off is a great move to remove to eliminate the acceleration lag. It did seem odd how fast the 20 AH battery dropped on my first longer ride today and how hot the motor got the the touch. temp sensor in it's future. Suppose a cycle analysis and satiator battery charger would help me with my analytics but so will more riding. On a different note, I noticed the Rad rover speedometer went to ZERO twice when I went over the 24mph top speed. Odd.... The bike sure gets squirrely over 25. I ride motorcycles it isn't just the speed it is the geometry, shocks, ect... Hope the frame isn't bend. The second one they "Rad" sent me was a refurbished bike. WTF on that. Sending out refurbished bikes without telling customers. At least, it appeared to be. Well, off ground test tomorrow.

Back