Battery Box Placement

geeeyejo1

1 kW
Once again with time on my hands waiting for my battery; I figured let's see how this would work in the triangle. I took the plastic box that I had acquired (and measured) to put in the rear carrier bag (bad thing I know!) and it appears that it is a real nice fit in the triangle! Figure I will pack the battery in the box wrapped in bubble wrap for protection, strap box shut with gorilla tape, perhaps spray the box flat black then use two nice wide velcro straps that I bought (originally to secure bag on rear carrier) to secure the battery box to the top bar of the frame. Check out pic - placed in there it hardly has room to wiggle!
I think I like this - will likely then mount controller on the seat tube on the water bottle mounts and conceal the excess wires and connections in the former battery bag for easy access and to keep things looking neat.
What do you think?

Attachments

• photo-2.JPG
    photo-2.JPG
    65.1 KB · Views: 377
except your pack will not fit inside there. also you do not wanna use a box with rounded corners since the pack is very orthogonal.

i have begun using 1/8" hardboard for endplates, bottom and sides. then tape around that, but your pack has the epoxy board around the pouches, then tape on top of that as i recall from the pictures.

dnmun said:
except your pack will not fit inside there. also you do not wanna use a box with rounded corners since the pack is very orthogonal.

i have begun using 1/8" hardboard for endplates, bottom and sides. then tape around that, but your pack has the epoxy board around the pouches, then tape on top of that as i recall from the pictures.
Will have to see - when I bought the box I had measured the Interior dimensions and it appeared that it was sufficient and larger LXWXH than the dimensions of the battery provided by the vendor. If battery doesn't fit in the box then I may look to reinforce exterior with hardboard as well then strap into position in the triangle

If it fits in the box, you might want to build a small shelf to support it's weight at the bottom. I see wiring in your pic that would need relocating, perhaps to the top of the frame?

Here are some pics of how I made a simple wood shelf to support a battery box.Bouncing betty, battery support 1.jpgbouncing betty  battery support 2.jpg Wood just made it easy for me to screw in the straps to attach it to the frame. The metal box is screwed to the wood, then a strap backs up the latch on the box. I can pop the battery into and out of the box in about 10 seconds.

Looks good Dogman & thanks for the idea - I wired along the bottom of the triangle as my brake and shifter cables are open routed along the top of the frame - I do have the wiring to/from my Wattmeter running along the top tube so I could probably run the throttle & Ebrake cables along with it. The box does sit rather snug and is supported by the bottom of the triangle and the seat tube - if I go with current box, I suspect that the addition of the two wide velcro straps securing it to the top tube might be all that is needed - we will see....

Back