Battery mounted on front suspension rack--Thoughts?

Lemlux

100 W
If I were to split a 72V 16AH Headway pack evenly on both sides of a front suspension fork would stability suffer or would steering quickness merely slow down? The 24S 40160 cells in the pack would weigh 0.5kg each so the total pack would weigh 12 kg plus bms plus mounting hardware and protective casing. I'm thinking of using this Axiom Journey Suspension and Disc rack which has a load rating of 2 x 33 pounds or 66 pounds. Let's assume that the fully mounted and rigidly secured packs will total 35 pounds.

http://www.axiomgear.com/products/gear/racks/front-racks/journey-suspension-disc-lowrider/

I am on asphalt or concrete 95% of the time, hardpack 4% of the time and uneven partially rocky surfaces 1% of the time. Hub motor mounted in the rear of a hardtail 29er with a Thudbuster LT to pamper both my 260 pound weight and my Gary Fisher frame. I can't fit 72V into my diamond and I don't want to burden the hardtail with an additional 35 pounds.

I understand the benefits of running a 26" bike with 2.35" to 2.50" tires, but I have been happy running 38mm Armadillo Crossroads tires fully inflated to their 100psi maximum spec without the 15 pound hub or the 35 pound battery pack.

The 2004 Gary Fisher Genesis 6061 frame is rated for 300 pounds for light off-road use.

Unsprung front wheel weight would increase by the weight of the battery but would still seem to be minor compared to a non-suspension fork. I would expect to need to replace the wimpy 20 spoke stock Bontrager rim that somehow has outlasted 2 rear rims, a crankset, 2 cassettes and 4 chains.

Back