Battery packdesign for the zero X 2009

sroddier

1 µW
Hello everyone, I discover the endless-spere forum few days ago, awesome!

I am currently looking to buy a zero X 2009, I just had the guy selling it at the phone and it seems that the battery has been flat for quite a long time. (He bought the bike 1 year ago and he did use the bike only once, he bought it from a company which went bankrupt, so the bike should be like new).

I spend quite a lot of time on ElectricMotorcycleForum.com and on https://endless-sphere.com looking for solutions. The bike is an offroad bike. So i'm not looking now to have a very great range, just to make it works with as little money as possible.

I would probably go with a lipo solution from hobbyking, using 2 zippy 7S 25C in series (2 parrallele). So 4 zippy at a cost of 230€ -> 0.5Wh, 3.5kg, 250A continuous.
So it would make a 14s2p battery-> 52V-58V
Do you think the charger of the zero X 2009 will be able to charge it, what about the bms and the controller?
I learn on this forum the golden rules for Lipo, i will be carrefull charging.
Thank you very much for any advice. :)

PS: I have an ebike from goldenmotor (smartpie with internal controller), do you know if it could support de 58V battery. It will make the built of the battery pack even more useful.

What chemistry is the Zero X using? If you match the chemistry and basic cell arrangement, the controller/BMS should be fine - they don't *usually* show much awareness of capacity, just voltage as a state-of-charge indicator.

If you're changing chemistries around, you should be careful. If the key voltages are the same, the BMS should be able to handle the different cells, but you'll need to be careful about charging rates and such - they're going to charge at the rate for the full pack, and won't reduce current to a partial pack.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-LQK71i_uKg is a teardown, and it looks like it's running something that's *probably* a 4.2v fully charged chemistry, from what I can find.

I would assess the condition of the original battery first - you may be able to recharge it or replace just a few damaged cells.

RC lipo is cheap and powerful, but it is also over-rated. You should cut the advertised C-rate in half (some people say by 3/4).

Thanks for your answer. I will take care of the rate of lipo if i need to use them. There is also a feature on the motorbike to get only half the torque. I guess i will also try to recover the old cells but what i found on the internet don't give me much hope about that. I found that the voltage of lipo will meet the voltage of the bms, so it is at least good news.
I think the best option for the bike is to use nissan leaf modules but it is almost impossible to find in France. I will, however, let you know if i succeed to make the bike work.
Stéphane

That's a very small battery if you have the voltage right more ah. The battery on a electric motorcycle is it's heart and key to making it work. So it is all about the battery.

I think i will finaly go for 14s3p for a start, to see if everything works, then i might double it to have almost the original capacity and double the admisible amperage.

Thanks

Yes, repairing the battery would be the best option. But everything i have seen on the zero X 2009 told me that i won't be easy at all (for example:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-LQK71i_uKg)

So before buying i was looking for solutions.

Back