Batteryspace 36v , 3amp, lifepo4 charger

dogman dan

1 PW
This review is about a 3 amp 36v lifepo4 charger from batteryspace. I needed a new charger that was a bit faster than the 1.5 to 2 amp sla chargers common on ebay, and saw this one, made for lifepo4 at batteryspace. Total cost including shipping was $69 US.

As usual, the process of ordering online was pretty painless and did not require paypal, just a credit card. Shipping was fast and it arrived on the day it was expected. Packaging was good, with an inner box inside the shipping box. Recieved with no damage, or even scuffs on the outer box. UPS shipping.

The charger performs exactly to specification, which was a bit dissapointing. Voltage is supposed to be 44v, but I was hoping it might be actually 46, which my ping bms requires to begin balancing. Oh well, this charger will be used at work anyway, so it wouldn't be plugged in long enough anyway. 44v will be fine.

I don't have a way to measure the amps, but later on I'll be able to report how long a charge takes. My old charger at work, a 4 amp would do it in about 4.5 hours, so this one may take a bit longer. If it takes too long, I'll know it is not putting out 3 amps. I'm guessing at least 5.5 to 6 hours to fully recharge from my ride to work. It should be quick enough.

The charger comes with a molex connector to a pigtail with a fuse and a set of alligator clips. On the website, they warn about not using the charger without the pigtail. I wondered what that meant, but now I get it. Don't use the charger without the fuse. Yeah, good idea, such a fuse would have prevented what killed my previous charger, stupidly mixing up the polarity installling andersons.

Speaking of andersons, I immediatels cut the clips off, and installed andersons to match the ones on my ping. This time I got the polarity right. :roll:
Plugging it in, the lights work and the fan, and everything seems ok. It's charging now.

The next step was to open er up. A few items inside looked vulnerable to vibration to me, so not the best charger to carry around on the bike all day. In particuar the coiled wire things, whatever they are, move around easy. Some silicone could secure all that of course. The vents at the fan opening are pretty small, but so far the charger is not getting very hot. I may just drill some larger holes anyway, but summers over, so maybe later in the spring. Otherwise everything looked good, with no weak looking soldering or such as I've seen in other chargers.

Another dissapointment, no pot to adjust voltage, so no tweaking it up to 46.5v like I did with a soneil.

But even though it won't go high enough voltage to balance the ping, it's a good solid charger from an american vendor, no ebay, and it seems to work fine as a secondary charger.

Here's a few pix of it.top.jpgtop inside.jpgbottom.jpgbottom inside.jpg

44.3V is good, your ping should balance.

maybe leslie and i can convert you over to the dark side and you will hack up the power resistor to see if it will push 4A. hehehe.

nice wire looking things, i didn't get any with my chargers. they call them chokes.

like in arti chokes. similar to stage fright, when someone chokes.

44v is fully charged, but the word on the v1, signalab bms was that it needed about 46v to activate the balancing functions of the bms. Of course, I'd have to get the pack unbalanced to need balancing. It only gets slightly out of balance when I do a deep discharge. Mild c rates make balancing this pack something it seldom needs.

But others might need the higher voltage. Does the new ping bms not need more than 44v now on a 12 cell pack?

i don't think the older one needed that much voltage to balance. but if you can get to the sense wires you can see how close they are. you can measure on the end of the shunt resistor too so you don't have to disconnect the plug. the resistors have wider spacing too so it is easier to get the voltmeter probes on the end of the resistor without shorting them out.

Well. that was what was being said on the ol duct tape battery thread at the time. I could never tell, I haven't seen the turning on, turning off behaviour on my battery since the break in period. I'd have to be out of balance to see it, so I don't. Once in a while, after a 100% discharge, I'd have about a mile less range the next day.

Back