Best Self-Defense for a Lady on an eBike?

I live on the other coast, so I can't speak to the danger level of the trail you mention, but we have our share of sketchy characters on and around local MUP's. Being a war veteran, I like to think that I can take care of myself in just about any situation, but I have the advantage of knowing I will use deadly force if necessary. Not everyone has that knowledge or ability. I think that were I a woman riding through areas where I didn't feel safe, I would probably avoid them. Barring that, I would enroll in a serious self-defense training course, one that teaches you to do serious damage as deterrence. Most muggers, would-be rapists, are not counting on resistance, and when they encounter it, probably would have second thoughts very quickly. Even if you have pepper spray or a firearm, it is quite possible that a confrontation could come down to a hand-to-hand encounter in a surprise situation. Better to know that you can defend yourself without them than to depend on them entirely. I like the idea of the very load horn. Anything that draws attention to your plight in a public/semi-public situation is a positive. Stay safe.

I think something loud is a great answer. Police whistle or Airzound Horn.

Best wishes to your wife

jeff

Well, concealed carry may not do much to help. But in my particular state, open carry is legal.

I used to have the rifle on the rack in the truck just for the respect it got me. It ended once and for all, drunks f---ing with me on the way home from my job at a restaurant. Before, you'd get a holes that wanted to tailgate just for the fun of pissing you off. That visible rifle or shotgun stopped that cold.

I also used to ride a motorcycle to go bird hunting. You'd be amazed how much more space cars gave a motorcycle, with that shotgun slung over my shoulder.

I used to go to a hot spring that was notorious for the brawls among motorcycle gangs that hung out there. A pistol visible on the edge of the pool did the trick very nicely. Oh,, sorry sir, didn't know this pool was in use sir,,,.

Speak softly but carry a big stick. It does work. But is that kind of open carry legal in CA? Will it get you shot nowdays? I just don't get this concealed carry thing. That does nothing till you actually get it out. Open carry gets you respect at 50 yards.

I agree with JimB. Ask a veteran that is TRAINED in hand to hand combat, to guide you. Only takes a few lessons to be confident, but, as jimB stated, you MUST be willing to cause injury to the perp. That's what the perps intentions could be. The other guy is trying to kill you, so, that is the best form of training to defend yourself. Yeah, been there done that. Wear "fighting" clothes, no dresses, heels, etc. Backpack them if you MUST have them at work. Your helmet can make a suitable weapon, just to gain time to "shag ass" out of there.

Also agree with a loud noise. A boat type compressed air horn will, at least, deafen the assailant, temporarily, besides attracting attention. Changing routes is also an excellent option.

These days, don't rely on anyone helping you. Cellphone videos is what's important to most people. :roll:

None of this is practical, but is an exercise in extreme ala Mad Max:

Train horn (or a Buick 4-note), they make people jump involuntarily and they attract attention. MotoX ebike that can rooster tail and wheelie, along with full-face off-road helmet and riding skilz. Pull a dog, or two, on a trailer. Have the dogs visible enough to be acknowledged, but hidden enough that when you play amplified-recorded angry dog sounds from a button on your handlebars, they think its your dogs. Dogs also double as theft determent when parked at store.

Crime has been on the decrease and I think its due to cameras being everywhere. We have live streaming cameras now, so that's like camera exponential. Heck, we're even catching crooked cops with cameras.

I ride MUT's every day among the homeless, and granted, I'm a 6' tall guy, not a small woman, so I've never had an issue. Tbh, it's rare I interact with them at all and visa versa, the usually don't see or hear me coming until I'm right on and then past them. Unless she's poking along at walking pace, I don't see much of a concern.

If you are worried though, I'd recommend:

She wear a helmet, full face is a great idea, with her hair up and neutral clothing to minimize the fact that she's a woman from a distance. No sundresses, lol.

Don't ride slow.

The reality is that even if a nefarious individual is on the MUT, they are going to need time to ID a victim, decide they have valuables and consider a plan of action. If you're doing 15 mph, they'd only have seconds before you're gone. Who do you think is a better target, someone walking along or a biker whizzing past?

I never had a situation like that, even in areas with well known, suspicious, drug dealing immigrants that we have these days in germany.
(dont get me wrong, the majority just wants to live good and dont want to cause trouble)

10kw helps a lot.......im simply too fast for any kind of these bums.

But im a male, so i dont have this problems anyway.
And here in germany its much harder to get a gun, so the obvious threats here are short range weapons or hand to hand attacks.

Your girl should change the route a bit, even if its a bit longer.

Anything else will cause more trouble than it helps.

No matter what one chooses to defend oneself from an attacker training and a bad ass attitude will carry you through. But, it can also get you killed. :?

eSurfer said:
markz said:
Typical American talk of guns.

Not being an American yourself, how do you know what the "typical American" thinks or talks about? What you see in the media? What you see on TV?

Oh, we're teaching him here. He's already learned that 25 round is only suitable for self defense.

Just today I was watching one of those instant justice videos on YouTube and this guy is stopped at a light and this other guy steps up to his door wearing a mask and holding a gun. The bad guy starts to open the car door, then the driver turns and holds up a gun. The bad guy is off camera when the guy in the car starts shooting. Then he reloads and gets out. This was a collection of European bad guy gets theirs caught on video. Didn't say what country, but at least SOME Europeans are learning about things like reloading before you get out of the car.

Sorry if I helped this thread reach a new low. Bunch of men have no idea how a woman should do it. I never seriously meant she should open carry. Concealed carry no deterrent, until it's out and shooting. Really no solution to pack, I'm quite certain she does not want to kill another human to keep her bike, or her purse.

But a few things do make sense to me. Some personal defense training can't hurt. It may never be enough, but it may be plenty enough to stop her looking, acting, like prey anymore. If she ever did. Fact is all predators will look for the weakest looking. So the first, and best defense is simply confidence in yourself. Back that up with stuff like the loud horn that won't stop if she hits a panic button. Obvious camera on the bike could also help. Or is that something they'll want to steal? I dunno.

Better route if it's really that bad. But again, is it really all that bad? If the threat really was she'd be murdered or gang raped, then for sure it's time to stop riding that trail. I doubt it's really to that point of dangerous.

Or at least, not any more dangerous than anywhere, when the wrong predator is around. Chances are, that predator is not some homeless dude. He's got a van with no windows, and operates by gaining her trust, for at least a few seconds.

I am a man, but i have lived in a few very rough areas over the years. What i have learned from my countless wandering is:
Attitude is the best weapon/deterrent
If you walk around acting like your going to get mugged, you probably are. The mindset is key. You can NOT think like prey, YOU MUST BE THE PREDATOR. When i find myself in the woods, the country roads, or walking around any city at night, i act and behave as tho I AM THE ONE WHO SHOULD BE FEARED. Even if i am alone i never assume the prey role. Would-be Muggers should be afraid of me, and i do whatever i must to ensure that is the case. Drug users/dealers should be afraid to look me in the eyes, people committing crimes around me should see me and stop what they are doing and wait for me to pass the area.

there is a lot of ways to do this like body posture (shows confidence and can intimidate), eye contact (can be used to assess other peoples intent), confidence, dialogue (talking to people and putting them on the defensive right away), combat training (which adds confidence), having and being willing to use a weapon (i always have a boot knife on me) and many more.

When you get into a situation and you are not afraid, it shows. People can pick up on it. For example: If you get followed into a slightly secluded area by 2 people, you can
A) start walking faster away from them, try not to turn around and look at them, maybe start trying to get your phone out. (by the time cops got there you'd be dead or worse)
B) Just start sprinting (maybe you are fast and can get to another area)
C) When you notice them you can STOP DEAD, Stand tall, Turn around and look them in the eyes, DEMAND their attention with your burning gaze. You can shout at them "I Know your following me! You wanna go! Let's F*cking do IT!" Challenge them, grab something to use as a weapon, take out your belt if it has a heavy buckle and use it as a whip. Scream obscenities at them like you have nothing to loose. (you don't, this could be life or death). Call them names, act like you would rip out one of their eyes if you had the chance. F*cking start charging them like a bear would.
- Chances are with C they would not even want the headache, they probably wouldn't bother. I bet they would turn around and walk away asap. In fact this thing has happened to me many times. People want an easy meal, they don't want to fight.

Don't act like a zebra or the hyenas will chase you. Act like a Lion and don't be afraid to fight.

Mündawg said:
I am a man, but i have lived in a few very rough areas over the years. What i have learned from my countless wandering is:
Attitude is the best weapon/deterrent
If you walk around acting like your going to get mugged, you probably are. The mindset is key. You can NOT think like prey, YOU MUST BE THE PREDATOR. When i find myself in the woods, the country roads, or walking around any city at night, i act and behave as tho I AM THE ONE WHO SHOULD BE FEARED. Even if i am alone i never assume the prey role. Would-be Muggers should be afraid of me, and i do whatever i must to ensure that is the case. Drug users/dealers should be afraid to look me in the eyes, people committing crimes around me should see me and stop what they are doing and wait for me to pass the area.

there is a lot of ways to do this like body posture (shows confidence and can intimidate), eye contact (can be used to assess other peoples intent), confidence, dialogue (talking to people and putting them on the defensive right away), combat training (which adds confidence), having and being willing to use a weapon (i always have a boot knife on me) and many more.

When you get into a situation and you are not afraid, it shows. People can pick up on it. For example: If you get followed into a slightly secluded area by 2 people, you can
A) start walking faster away from them, try not to turn around and look at them, maybe start trying to get your phone out. (by the time cops got there you'd be dead or worse)
B) Just start sprinting (maybe you are fast and can get to another area)
C) When you notice them you can STOP DEAD, Stand tall, Turn around and look them in the eyes, DEMAND their attention with your burning gaze. You can shout at them "I Know your following me! You wanna go! Let's F*cking do IT!" Challenge them, grab something to use as a weapon, take out your belt if it has a heavy buckle and use it as a whip. Scream obscenities at them like you have nothing to loose. (you don't, this could be life or death). Call them names, act like you would rip out one of their eyes if you had the chance. F*cking start charging them like a bear would.
- Chances are with C they would not even want the headache, they probably wouldn't bother. I bet they would turn around and walk away asap. In fact this thing has happened to me many times. People want an easy meal, they don't want to fight.

Don't act like a zebra or the hyenas will chase you. Act like a Lion and don't be afraid to fight.

All good stuff, but it wouldn't work for my small, unintimidating wife.

Years of Open Borders Policy have changed the night-scape here in Tucson.
The guy who buys most of my used Ebike stuff was riding in his neighborhood(Center part of town, not considered the "bad" part)at night when he spied an attractive girl motioning to him. As he approached her and was slowing down, two dudes jumped out of the bushes and tried to grab/knock him off his bike. He escaped by "gassing it".
He said they were Latins, but as to their legality, hard to say, but.....

My approach to night riding is the one I used for years riding both motorcycles and bicycles in Latin Amer. I try and stay off the back streets, but if I am on a residential, I stay in the middle, keep my speed up and continually scan the "shadows". Just the same as if it is a dog, if something comes at me and I figure I can't outrun them, I steer directly at them. At least with dogs, I have never had to do this w/ a person.

Yeah, I get it that she's not intimidating. My wife would likely just kick their ass, she's 5-10, and strong. They'd let her go by, looking for a small gal.

But back to attitude, some personal defense training should still be able to give her a bit more confidence, so she doesn't just automatically look like prey everywhere she goes.

The Tucson incident. Something like that could be how a really dangerous predator gets her. He/she will look harmless, gain her trust, then overpower her. If they just want her purse, more likely they just do something more aggressive looking from a distance. She could then possibly outrun, if her bike has the speed and power. The one to worry about, is the weak looking dude looking for his dog.

or the weak looking dude with the cane that he throws into her wheel as she rides by; probably no training will help her as she flies over the bars; if she's not hurt and looks menacing, the person will just run away and wait for another "victim".

The best self defense option would be martial arts classes and awareness. If you're aware of you're surroundings and can avoid potential situations that'll go a long way. After that the ability to actually defend yourself comes next. Thirdly, knives are underrated.

Have you seen the way the motorcycle cops have a shotgun or AR15 mounted? You could do that with a bike. I mean the shotgun rack in the rear window of the pickup truck is romantic, but a bike doesn't have the rear window. A mounted rocket launcher is probably more practical.

How about a Spiderman web shooter-like device, secured to one's forearm, that shoots a pepper stream.

mark5 said:
How about a Spiderman web shooter-like device, secured to one's forearm, that shoots a pepper stream.

Dauntless said:
Have you seen the way the motorcycle cops have a shotgun or AR15 mounted? You could do that with a bike. I mean the shotgun rack in the rear window of the pickup truck is romantic, but a bike doesn't have the rear window. A mounted rocket launcher is probably more practical.

I'm liking the way you guys think.

Back