• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

Bike Friendly City?

Boulder, Colorado, I'm told, is one of four cities that have reached the Platinum level for bike friendly cities. But that isn't good enough; they now want the new Diamond level. In order to achieve that level, they will have to increase bike ridership by 50%. One way to get more people out of their cars and on to bikes is to make biking easier by allowing ebikes on their great multi-use path system. They are currently looking at other bike friendly cities in CA, OR, and WA to see how those states are handling ebikes on multi-use paths. They would welcome suggestions from folks here that live in those states. Check out this article, and on the left hand side is a place to add your comments:

http://www.dailycamera.com/news/boulder/ci_23833184/boulder-considers-allowing-electric-bikes-paths

Of course in some places the multi-use paths are congested and the pedestrians are all up in arms complaining to the city council that ebikes are: too heavy to easily maneuver, to fast for safety, and these new ebikes will raise hell upon the poor pedestrians. But the feeling I got from the council is they want more bikers, not too concerned about tech differences between ebikes and bikes, more concerned about how to handle any increase in congestion on the paths.

The organized pedestrians have no empathy for bikers; they want them on the roads. In their eyes it's better to have a car kill a biker than a biker bruise or annoy a pedestrian. Amazing. The only biking accident I've had in my life was when a truck blew through a stop sign and ran me over. I've never even bruised a pedestrian.

When cyclists take the lane, they make things better for all cyclists. When they take the sidewalk, not only don't they improve things for cyclists, they make things worse for peds.

Cyclists are at more risk crossing driveways and surprising motorists at crosswalks than they are when they take the lane. My suggestion is to learn to be comfortable in the right tire track. Use whatever warning colors and lighting you need to be confident. That works out better for everyone overall.

P.S. -

I have mowed down a ped before, and it's a terrible feeling. I was in the lane, on a pedal bike, and I was paying close attention to avoid a problem, but I still crushed and injured a pretty young girl. Don't put yourself at undue risk by riding on the sidewalk.

Chalo said:
I have mowed down a ped before, and it's a terrible feeling. I was in the lane, on a pedal bike, and I was paying close attention to avoid a problem, but I still crushed and injured a pretty young girl. Don't put yourself at undue risk by riding on the sidewalk.
When I was in high school, never mind how long ago (riding my new Peugeot UO8!), I hit a school crosswalk guard. He was an older man that I exchanged waves with every day on my route to school. One afternoon he changed his mind just as he reached the curb and turned and walked back into the street just as I entered the intersection. I couldn't go left because of oncoming cars, so I braked hard and tried to go between him and the curb. Which might have worked except he heard the squeaky brakes and stepped back. I hit him going about ten mph and we both fell down. I was lucky, just loose teeth and cut lips, he fell backwards and hit his head and was knocked unconscious. It must have been a slow day as two ambulances and something like nine police cars responded. I was not cited, but still had to appear in juvenile court. He was hospitalized for several days and out of work for months. My parents homeowners insurance ended up paying about $40k. I still feel bad about it when I remember it.

- We on bikes are silent and quick and can give people unpleasant surprises, or worse. I suspect this is part of what people don't like about bikes, getting startled. I don't think I was technically at fault when I hit the guy, I wasn't doing anything that traffic would not normally do, But he probably would have heard or seen a car and not stepped out.

- However, I probably could have avoided it if I had been more cautious and mindful of how unpredictable pedestrians are. They are not to be trusted. Adults are almost worse than small children, any of them will just wander into the road at random, oblivious to all danger. These days I just slow the frock down anywhere near pedestrians and try to be obviously courteous and polite around them.

On a positive note:
Denver, CO adds downtown bike way:
http://m.denverpost.com/denverpost/db_307608/contentdetail.htm?contentguid=tc1BVp5i

Great thread.

I live in Davis, Ca and it is a very bike friendly city. There are bike paths all over the place and the University is designed to handle tens of thousands of bikes on the roads at any one time, with roundabouts instead of stop signs. There are two major safety problems in this town for bikes:

1) Other Bikers= The campus, and roads leading out of campus where all the undergrad students are rushing out at the same time can get downright exciting. Very few students have bikes worth more than $25 in Davis, some without brakes (the two foot down skateboard style braking method). Seen some crashes, and done alot of weaving.

2) The Downtown Area= The major arterial cutting through town is 5th street and it is a mess. Tight 4 lane road, with no bike lanes. But luckily they are beginning construction on a road diet. http://daviswiki.org/5th_Street_redesign I helped with a bike/ped survey here and a majority of cyclist road on the sidewalks, and even myself on my rightfully quick e-bike, it can be a stressful street to be on.

Boulder cycling icon Dale Stetina critical after crash

http://m.denverpost.com/denverpost/db_21611/contentdetail.htm?contentguid=JU6JzH3h

I was crossing Lake Shore Drive at the corner of LSD and Jackson in the Loop (Chicago) http://goo.gl/maps/Oo8NS. When I get halfway to through the intersection on my Phantom X2, a car whom was supposed to turn left decided to continue straight through the red light and into my crosswalk. The early 20's girl was on the phone too. I caught up to her and her excuse was..... "I am new to the city" I told her if I didn't have disc breaks then she would have killed me. I then told her she should be in Jail and then said that she is "C-C-C-razy!"

It is so simple to see traffic lights on a highway, I do not understand poor drivers.

mattrb said:
I do not understand poor drivers.

Mobile phones
Drugs, including alcohol and prescription meds
Simple stupidity
Callous disregard for the welfare of others

What's not to understand? Car driving selects for people who don't care about others or the city and world they live in.

The university should teach drivers ed since high schools don't anymore. College kids drive horribly around here, and there are also many unlicensed and uninsured motorists roaming the streets. :x

Chalo said:
mattrb said:
I do not understand poor drivers.

Mobile phones
Drugs, including alcohol and prescription meds
Simple stupidity
Callous disregard for the welfare of others

What's not to understand? Car driving selects for people who don't care about others or the city and world they live in.

And they give licenses to people that get 80% of the questions correct. So, apparently 1/5 of the rules just don't apply since they can't be expected to know all the rules. This is just ludicrous.

If the person can't exceed 90% of the test in a written format, what makes you think they will get it right while traveling down the road at XX mph?

Berlin, a bike friendly city or not?

http://www.spiegel.de/international/germany/the-battle-for-germany-s-roads-tempers-fray-as-bikes-and-cars-vie-for-supremacy-a-786254.html

Back