Blix Sol - no power to hub motor

blix831

1 µW
Hi everyone. Thanks in advance for your assistance. Have a Blix Sol cruiser bike which has stopped powering the hub motor. The original issue = the display unit went dead blank and no longer controlled the bike's functions. Here is what I've done to troubleshoot so far:

1) Battery: AOK
2) Replaced display with new display from Blix : no signal, no life, still blank.
3) Replaced display with new after-market display from Amazon: display showed power, showed battery, did not control the PAS, did not control any power to the hub motor, (yes, config'd to 48V), showed error code as no response from controller.
4) Ordered new controller from Blix. New Blix controller ($160) + new Blix display with toggles buttons and throttle thumb button ($160) >> showed signs of life, displayed battery level, allowed changes to PAS modes 1-5, but no reaction from the hub motor either via pedal stroke or throttle input.
5) Ordered new Blix wiring harness ($20). New wiring harness added to new controller and new display did not solve lack of PAS / throttle control to hub motor.
6) Triple checked all connections and condition of all wires. Even added dielectric grease to connections. Still no response from hub motor.
7) Checked the pedal sensor. Seems AOK..
8) ...Blix now recommends buying new rear wheel assembly including new hub motor ($350). !!!

This is getting ridiculous. Wondering is someone can recommend other potential areas of failure? Or things to test and remedy? Suggestion much appreciated. The bike is in great mechanical condition and we would hate to just scrap it. Thanks.

The Blix display seems to have a threaded connector that I've not seen on third party displays so I wonder how you got the amazon unit to power up, when a new Blix display would not do so. By the way, the amazon display powered up because you gave it the proper power/ground, but it cannot communicate with a blix controller.

Now you have new everything... controller, blix display that powers up, and a new handlebar harness.

-When you activate brake levers did the Blix display flash a brake icon? Many controllers do.
-Is there 4.5 volts between power/ground on the throittle pins?
-Is there 5 volts on the PAS sensor power/ground?
-Does the motor spin backwards freely?

Ideally, you find a second ebike with the same motor connector, and you connect this motor to its controller and vice versa. If you can't do that, buy a motor tester and you may need an extension cable adapter to connect the motor to it. You can easily check the hall sensors. I forgot if it can check the coils, but if hooked to the controller with a suitable adpter, it can indicate whether the controller is powering the phase wires..

Thanks for your reply @docw009 -- much appreciated. Here's a link is the 3rd party display I got on Amazon as an alternative to test out: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BTS2K3G8 . The connector *seemed* to be the same as Blix OEM, albeit without the threaded ring to hold the connection together. I returned it and bought a new Blix Display. Responses to your suggestions:

- the Blix display does not have a brake icon. I have checked the manual operation of the brakes and cables to see if there is anything that might cause the motor cutoff when brakes applied .... nothing looks damaged.
- Motor (rear wheel) does spin backwards freely.
- 4.5v btwn power/ground on the throttle pins --- need to get volt meter and brush up on my electrical engineering skills. ;)
- 5v on PAS sensor power/ground -- per above. Any details on exactly how to test would be appreciated ^ <

I should be able to get a second Blix to cross test as you suggested. Great idea! Really appreciate your help.

Back