Seeking Insights: BBS02 Motor & 48v 15 amh Battery Issue on E-Bike

phunkeeseatx

1 µW
Hello everyone,

I’m new to this forum, but not new to e-bikes. I previously owned a 1200W hub motor bike, which unfortunately was stolen. This is my second build, and this time I’ve opted for a mid-frame motor. I’m excited to be part of this community and eager to get to know all of you. I know there’s a wealth of wisdom here, and I’m happy to join in.

I recently acquired a BBS02 motor kit in near-new condition. It included all parts like the throttle and power pad, with no wear visible. However, the original battery was missing. I found a suitable replacement battery on Facebook Marketplace for $50, offered by a seller who regularly receives batteries from a workshop, including various 48V and 52V batteries.

After installing the motor and new battery, everything powered up well, and my initial tests were promising. The bike functioned smoothly, even when I increased the Pedal Assist System (PAS) to level two. However, when I used the throttle, the bike suddenly shut down, and the display screen went blank. Despite multiple attempts, I couldn’t get it to restart.

I took extra care to check all connections, ensuring that everything was securely plugged in and that no wires were pinched or damaged – a precaution I learned from reading about others’ experiences with wires getting smashed between the motor and the bike frame.

After about five minutes, and some unplugging and replugging of the wires and battery, the bike finally turned back on. But it displayed an error code: “22H” or “H22.” My initial research hints at a sensor issue, but I’m not certain.

Here’s my main concern: the battery charges to 100%, but the bike shuts down whenever I demand power from it. Could this be a battery issue, even though it charges fully?

I look forward to any insights or suggestions from the community. Thanks in advance for your help and guidance!

See my reply over here to another similar problem:
for the likely explanation of what's wrong with the battery. (there's hundreds of similar threads from over the years if you want to dig deeper, but the simplest thing to fix your issue is replace the battery with a new good quality one that is more capable than you need it to be. ;) )

The other "new" error is probably caused by a wiring or connector fault from the plugging/unplugging (either caused by the actions or revealed by them). Somewhere around here, or elsewhere on the web, is a list of error codes for that system and what they specifically refer to, to get you pointed at the right cable.

You’re probably right AmberWolf, my gut instinct is telling me that you are. And, from what you’re saying, it’s mostly likely a dead cell or two or a whole row or something, I don’t know, and I don’t have the energy to try and troubleshoot it any further, just keeping it real. I had the same suspicion honestly. So you really just confirmed it! I’ll be buying a new battery soon, and based on what you said, I’m not gonna go cheap this time, I’m gonna get the top-of-the-line battery, either Panasonic or Sony one of those top battery producers. Thank you for your help man, appreciate it. So, what do you think I should get? I mean I know what good cells are, but should I get a 48 V 20 amp hour battery? Or go 52 V 20 amp hour? I’ve heard that 48 V 20 amp hours for that 750 watt motor is a good choice but I wanna make sure.

You’re probably right AmberWolf, my gut instinct is telling me that you are. And, from what you’re saying, it’s mostly likely a dead cell or two or a whole row or something, I don’t know, and I don’t have the energy to try and troubleshoot it any further, just keeping it real. I had the same suspicion honestly. So you really just confirmed it! I’ll be buying a new battery soon, and based on what you said, I’m not gonna go cheap this time, I’m gonna get the top-of-the-line battery, either Panasonic or Sony one of those top battery producers. Thank you for your help man, appreciate it. So, what do you think I should get? I mean I know what good cells are, but should I get a 48 V 20 amp hour battery? Or go 52 V 20 amp hour? I’ve heard that 48 V 20 amp hours for that 750 watt motor is a good choice but I wanna make sure.
Also, if you could point me in the direction of company like Luna cycle or another that has the best batteries, would you kindly do so thank you again

Battery capabilities depend on what you intend to use the system for, and under what conditions.

If you will be using up to the max power level, then get a battery that is *more* than capable of the current needed to do that. At 48v, 750w takes about 16A, so a battery that has a continuous (not max) rating of at least 20A would be good, so that as it ages it will still be capable of the necessary output.

Same for capacity. At a guess it would take about 20Wh/mile for 20mph on flat ground, no wind (might be less or more for your riding style and conditions, by quite a bit), so a 20Ah battery at 48v would get you around 40+ miles of range. If you have wind or hills or go faster it will cut that by quite a bit; in that event the motor/trip simulators at ebikes.ca can help you guesstimate a realistic wh/mile for your conditions.

Battery voltage depends on the version of BBS02 you got. If it's a 48v, use a 48v (13s), if it's a 52v, use that (14s). If you use something else the system's LVC and HVC may prevent you from using the full capacity of the pack, and you might have other complications trying to work around that.

Higher voltage can also mean higher speed for otherwise same setup, but you can just change your gearing on the bike to get that if you need it, for probalby much less complication.

I don't know who makes good batteries these days; my standards are higher than most and I dont' know of any of the ebike/scooter battery makers that even try to meet them (using identical matched cells to build their packs as the first requirement eliminates all of the ones I am aware of). There are threads for "good battery vendors / sellers" you can look thru for discussion of recommendations (and use to ask your own questions if needed).

Before looking for one, think about your usage, conditions, etc., and that will narrow down the possibilties quite a bit for you in some cases.

I use used large-EV cells for my stuff; they're almost a decade and a half old and are *still* balanced, without any BMS or action by me, seeing daily usage on my SB Cruiser heavy-cargo trike for almost a decade, and whatever their original use was before that (which almost certrainly would have been heavier than mine). LIke large EVs, I am not using them anywhere near their limits, either--I don't charge them completely full, or empty them completely, or run them near their current capabilities, etc.

If you are willing to do the DIY for it (which could be significant) to rework the connections for a module out of a large EV, you can get pretty cheap (for the Wh) ones at places like Batteryhookup and the like, but you might have to be keeping a lookout for the best deal for a while before buying, then plus the time to do the DIY bits, and the cost of any tools needed to do the work. Depending on the type of cells there are some specifics about usages they can be applied to or how the cells have to be mounted, enclosed, connected, etc.

But unless you have an unusual usage need, etc., it's going to be easier to get a good prebuilt ebike pack that mounts easily to the bike, like a Hailong or Shark or whatever type of casing that has a cradle that secures to your frame for the battery casing to slide onto and lock down.

Back