• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

bmsbattery charger ECM-400 RTH

renaud

10 mW
Well I read endless-sphere for many years, and it's a great pleasure for me. Anyway I do not write here because my poor english... But today I (try) because I need help.

I have 3 BMSBattery chargers, 1 240W and 2 400W. I have the same problem with the two 400W ECM400 chargers. I did not use them more than one month. Each time I connected to the wall plug, there was a nice sparkle in the box, and since yesterday they are out of service, with the same symptom.

I have opened the two boxes and seen the same things (sorry no picture for the moment). Near the input a component has disappear (burnt) and on the plate the mention is RTH. I suppose it's a kind of thermal resistance variating with the heat in the box (my knowledge of electronic is limited) ?

Does someone here konw how to repear, with wich component ? Is there any schematic for the charger somewhere ?

Thanks in advance, Renaud

post a picture but it sounds like you had the ICL (inrush current limiter) blow up on you. they are NTC (negative temperature coefficient) thermistors which have high resistance when the current first flows through them and then as they warm up from the current, the resistance drops to almost nothing.

usually they have a 5 printed on them for 5 ohms, and sometimes a 13 or 15 for the diameter of the thermistor as well as a label like NTC.

but post up a picture, i still have bunch i bot from mouser. 6.3A, 15mm, and 5 ohm which will work.

lemme know if you want a few for cheap.

Well thanks for your answer.

I will post a picture when back home. I think I've seen the mention "NTC" on one part of the component burnt and exploded, but I think we can be sure if someone has a ECM-400 and can show us what is written on it. Inside my two chargers right ow I have only two metallic parts with nothing in between (pictures later).

Digging deep in the forum I've seen another thread http://www.endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=41591.

In this thread there is a link to a page were you can find the schematic :
EBike-LiFePO4-Lithium-Ion-36V-8A-battery-charger-with-TL494-circuit.png

Now I can read it's NTC 5D-11 5ohm@25°.

Back