BMSBattery/ECityPower Experience

http://www.bmsbattery.com/was this the company as i buy regulary off them , the cheapest & the best deal with quality BMS theyare the BMS people once iboughtoff headwaybattery BMS stuffed in the first week with these people they sell the headway bat butthe main thing is the quality BMS i recomend them , for this but motors there is cyclone & no-one else for sensible mid drive with gears , ---signed ---& i have had things freighted ( China to New Zealand for nothing like BMS connectors etc in vbatteruy pack)& they do the tracking for me if i'm waiting a bit. If its the same co. don't buy motors off battery people. i have 2 sites for good trade on e bikes CyClone taiwan & this site. signed --- Nz E bike trader & nut.----& now a nuvinci nut.

From my previous experience of two orders where they asked for extra shipping costs at the time of shipping, I told them to cancel the order and re-fund me. The result was that they shipped anyway without the extra money.
Greenbikekit.com has exactly the same stuff as BMSbattery. I got a feeling that someone has defected and set up on his/her own. Their shipping costs seem to be substantially lower.

On my last order,BMSBattery asked for an extra $80. I tried to get them to justify it and nothing they said made sense. I even told them that I'd order from Greenbikekit next time, but they told me to go ahead. Unfortunately most of the stuff was for a friend who wanted it it urgently, so this time I paid.

My guess is that neither suppliers have any stock. Instead, there's a network of sub-suppliers, from which they order after you've placed your order. That accounts for why they can never give exact info about what you want to order and why you sometimes get something different.

Dealing with these guys is not the same as dealing with a UK/US supplier, and if something goes wrong, there's usually no remedy. You need to be a bit more philosophical with these guys: In the long-term or if you're lucky, you can save a lot of money, but there's always a risk that you can lose.

TBH, I've bought a fair bit of stuff from China over the years, even risking buying a big stack of the original Headway cells direct, back when the only way of paying was bank transfer (with all fingers crossed!). I've certainly had communications problems with one or two, but the majority have been pretty good at sending stuff out quickly, and I've usually got what I was expecting. Quality has been variable, but then even well-used suppliers like HK are a bit iffy when it comes to quality (I reckon to get around a 5 to 10% battery DOA rate for example and am not often surprised by getting all good packs in a batch.........).

My main gripe with BMS is that the whole experience of dealing with them seems flaky, very slow and gives no confidence at all that you'll actually get what you've ordered. Greenbikekit didn't seem to have the fast wind BPM, AFAICS, which is pretty much why I ended up with BMS.

Interestingly, having told them to cancel the order, because of the delay and tghe price hike, they first came back and said the delay was my fault. I fired off copies of the emails sent to them over the 18 days and they then changed their mind, apologised, said it was all their fault and that they would ship without the extra charge. Make of that what you will................

They haven't shipped my order and I've been waiting since 1 month now.

I sent them an email 2 days ago and they apologized and said that it's going to be sent this week.

But still I'm not sure...

I've already cancelled my order last time with them but they are the only one to sell cheap high voltage charger so I still ordered from them. But really not satisfied with the service and I'm looking for alternatives.

I didn't have a problem with them. Only got my order last week. They told me they didn't have the thumb throttle and sent it anyway. Now I have four throttles.

Arrr good the perfect thread to vent my first RANT on this forum, i had a look at there throttle's/ 3 speed switch's..... and thought great-- then the shipping charge BOMB :shock: WHAT.
So emailed them several times and just there dodgy patronizing responces/excuses, Was a big giveaway, stupid thing is if they fixed this way of doing business they would benefit from it :roll:

my fren who bought from bmsbatty has so much trouble also. bmsbat is very good at up prices$$ when you want the things faster, they will have ask for extra $$ for something for a reasons, to see whether if it works on you. if they win, they will earns extra cash. my fren claim to tell me he has been talking hours?? with bmsbat. they will ask for money? is that the way to do business, spell out the hidden chargers out of no where?

so is important to keep all emails what they type to you. they can also play shipping method changes last very minutes.

Hmmm. This thread was about two weeks too late, maybe. Ordered a bulk charger. Has not shown up yet but has gone to the shipper. My thoughts follow:

For the charger I ordered, the shipping was very high. On the other hand, it is being sent international FedEx and that is expensive. I ship international FedEx occasionally so I know it is pricey. I don't know about BMS battery, but other items I've bought that were drop shipped from China that still have the shipping invoice on the package indicate that the shipping cost I paid was actually pretty close to what it cost to ship it. When you buy an item from a vendor local to your location, the shipping you pay is the local shipping. If the vendor bought it from China first, the shipping from China is hidden in the price and you don't see it. Just like with Ebay, you have to mentally add the shipping costs to the item cost to determine if it is a good deal. In my case, I (supposedly?) bought a 72V, 400 watt charger for $95.00 (shipping and all). If it actually works, that is a decent price. If it doesn't, then it will have been money down the toilet. I am a bit wary after reading the experiences of others. Will let you know.

I was ready for a long shipping date. This is not unusual for items bought from China. The item either does not exist until you buy it or the person selling it has to buy it from someone else. It is not what I prefer, but welcome to the New World Order, where everything is made in China, no matter where you buy it.

If you think it is only the small vendors, I got the second worst run-around of my online purchasing life from Lenovo, a pretty large company with US offices. The device was manufactured in China and the customer support was in India. I had a projected 5 day delivery moved out to three months. Then I called to cancel and was told it would take 5 days to cancel and until 5 days had passed, I would not know if the cancellation was in effect. And by the way, they may or may not email me to let me know if it was cancelled. I called and was on hold for over an hour. It was eventually cancelled. I did buy a Lenovo but from a local store. Was more expensive, but I walked out with it.

The worst runaround by far was for a pair of fake "Ugg" boots my wife thought she bought from Ugg for "a deal" but which were actually knockoffs being sold on a mock company website that were not actually leather and were not made by Ugg. The short version of the story is that when we got the boots, we eventually determined they were a knockoff, although I was somewhat impressed with the effort they went to in order to make them look legit; tags box, and all looked like the real thing. If you did not know what to look for, you'd have a hard time telling they were fakes. The shipping was express FedEx and was around $50 (invoice was on the boots). So we paid about $120 for a pair of synthetic boots that cost about $5 to make and $50 to ship from China. Visa would probably have reimbursed the charge but we had to be able to verify that we returned them and that their return was refused by the vendor. To return with signature verification would have cost about $60. We just chalked that up to experience.

Moral of the story is that if you do business in China with a small company, you had better be ready to eat the cost. If a large company, you had better be ready for a run-around. I don't blame the Chinese. I think in many cases, they are trying to run a legit business (Ugg boots vendors aside) and doing the best they can. There is just too much money to be made to let the opportunity pass.

I called the Ugg company to tell them about my experience and they had heard of literally 100s of fake internet companies springing up to sell fake Uggs. They exist for long enough to get some orders and then shut down before they get shut down officially. So while I was on the phone with Uggs, I mentioned that the actual Ugg boots are made in Australia but the representative said that while that was originally true, they are now made in China. Go figure! By the way, they are appropriately named boots and hideously over-priced in my opinion. However, it was the only thing my 15 year old wanted for Christmas last year and so we caved. As a final note to the story, we gave the boots to my daughter for Christmas even though I was becoming suspicious (this was before we found out for certain they were knockoffs; Ugg does not drop ship). My wife was in denial and thought that perhaps someone had gotten some from the factory and sold them black market. Actually, for a knockoff they weren't bad. A couple of days later, I snooped around the internet and determined that they were in fact knockoffs and were synthetic (microfiber looks a lot like suede by the way). We were in a quandary about what to do; in the end, we got the actual Uggs for my daughter after Christmas. We explained the fiasco and asked her if she had known they were knockoffs and she said that she had. I was impressed she didn't say anything to us about it. She is a good kid.

I've never bought from em, and rarely recomended em. Closest I came was pointing out thier bigger chargers, before they started puffing smoke one by one.

No way I ever advised buying their batteries or motors. Figured it was a permanently "do you feel lucky?" company to do buisness with.

They don't even come up to hobby kings minimal standards for service.

wow...

with all of this bad press i am sure happy that all my business is going through cellman and my battery from another chinese source.

I seriously conside doing most of my business through bmsbattery, but i am now more than happy that i avoided them

My experience.
I have had several orders with BMSbattery and have never had a problem. i just add stuff to the shopping cart and it works out postage and i decided whether i want to proceed or not. I may not like the charges!!
Never had a motor from them, usually KU controllers and accessories. Maybe things have changed there for worse but asking for things that can possibly delay the order or cause additional charges i think should be avoided.
What i have noticed with all suppliers is the cost of shipping as risen substantially enough to stop me ordering parts for a while, trouble is, i don't expect things to improve for a while either.
The same goes for EVassemble which is where i usually buy my hubs. I had several orders and only one, never got sent on time. Micheal dealt with it and appologised. It turned up, just a bit late thats all. No complaints from me...although i guess it's always a bit of a lottery and i always wonder if my stuff will arrive. But it usually does!

Cellman definitely makes the highest quality bike batteries in the business, for sure, and the cost is not unreasonable. If you are willing to do some work, agniusm's kits allow most of us to assemble very high quality batteries from A123 pouch cells. I guess EIG makes the best cells but they are expensive and hard to get, and you still have to assemble your own pack and there are no kits to help for them. Headways could be an option for folks who don't mind the extra size and weight, and HK and Ping fill in the rest. Possibly Grin for relatively low power geared motors that draw less than 2C. Justin does have extra cells for repair, but it would not be as easy as either Headway or agniusm to repair. They are the gold standard for easy cell replacement. Just off the top of my head so please chime in if I missed anyone.
otherDoc

I think it can be a matter of dumb luck with bms battery. They list lots of stuff, but only some things are actually avaliable to be shipped.

If the thing you ordered is in stock with the folks bms battery orders it from, winner winner chicken dinner. But chances are, you have vegas odds of that.

Recently, Micheal from EVassemble has been interacting here at the Sphere[charger threads]and promising faster order fulfillment and more reasonable shipping.
he seems to have come through on shipping options.
I'm not saying he has turned things around completely, but he does seem sincere.
And he[or his assistent] is answering Emails promptly, which is more that can be said for BMS Battery.
He has also added quite a few new products.
Perhaps he has earned a fresh start here?

One or another "michael" at EVAssemble has been posting and "helping" and promising for some time now, actually. Their actual actions and such don't seem to change much, based on what I've seen posted, and the fact that "michael" has to "help" with such situations what seems just as often nowadays as previously. No different than most of the other companies, just like BMSBattery, etc.

We actually get a fair number of Ugg knockoff spammers here on ES. Some of them never post, but have usernames like "uggboots4525546" or whatever, and links in their profile WWW field or signature to their knockoff sites. I think I finally eliminated all of the dozens of them that had been hiding in the memberlist (soem for years) a few months back, along with all the other common spammerscammers I could find, but new ones still come up. Probably more will now that their keyword is in these posts. :lol: :roll:

Well I recomend them the BMS Battery.com i deal off I've repaired other guys battery packs bought else where with their BMS & use only there batteries suply(headway)---is itthe same company?

amberwolf said:
THey have learned from watching ebay: many many people on ebay charge very little for an item, but exorbitantly for shipping, and they make a killing on their stuff because of it, since people do not seem to often consider shipping costs until after they have ordered an item.

No kidding. I am very well acquainted with what cell_man, ping, and hobbyking charge to ship out of China.. BMSBattery's figures are absolutely rigged. Always have been.

They don't seem to understand their products, from what i've seen on the site.
On top of that, there are tons of reports of non-existent / improper service here on these forums.

They're a slight step up from your typical super sheisty China dealer, but i can't recommend them.

If you can get ahold of cell_man, he really is the best choice if you're looking for the price/value ratio. He knows his products. he provides good service. And he doesn't sell any products that are absolute crap.

If you can't get ahold of cell_man, golden motor China is not the best company, but they will not ship you a non-working piece of junk, as far as i know. Ping is a great battery vendor as well. There is an ebay vendor that sells kits that have crappy spokes, but they work. I think they're called yescomusa.

But in terms of vendors.. cell_man = best price/value ratio, next steps up would be ebikes.ca, itselectric.ca ( aka power in motion ), ebikekit.com, methtek.com, ebikedeal.com, lyen.com and many others i can't think of at the moment..

Any bms that needs to be reset by opening the battery pack and shorting the board ~ ~ ~ ~ (frock at least wire up some sort of external to the pack reset button).

That said bmsbattery doesn't manufacture the goods they just resell them internationally. They really do need to try to supply instructions and documentation in a language that isn't their primary language.

They kind of remind me of a story I read of the time the US was building the golden gate bridge and the american wire suppliers would load 1 quality of wire on the truck for the inspectors and the truck would drive down the street unload and a dangerously lower quality wire would be delivered to the job site. It turns out the employees were making side deals with other wire suppliers to split the difference in value and trying to steal the contracts. Other companies were just being crooks supplying bad wire.

To be sure, China didn't invent such dealings. At one point every single highway bridge in New Mexico was made with understrength concrete. It went on for about 25 years, in the 40's, 50's, 60's. The concrete guys sold a lot of sand at cement prices, then sold the real cement again. They just put the quality inspectors on salary. To this day the state is still working on replacing those bridges one by one.

Some people think our votes in elections are our power.

I think our power is in how we spend our money.

Voting with our money.

Sending money or our votes to companies like BMS Battery sends the message that we are voting for this kind of service and that is what we will fall for.

Low priced goods and high priced shipping is a big clue that the company is not on the up and up.

Found this out on eBay. A common trick.

So far my best ebike deals have been from Craigslist and members of this forum in the USA.

Posts swooning over Hobby King batteries and cheap chargers and the such is like writing "Mark" on your forehead. :)

I guess I lucked out. I ordered a Bafang BPM and KU controller from BMSBattery a few weeks back, picked the cheapest shipping option (FedEx CN) and it arrived in just a little over a week with no drama whatsoever. Shipping was crazy high, but item prices were crazy low so it was pretty obvious that they choose to put their markup on the shipping. I don't really care because I only look at total shipped cost when comparing prices and theirs was still quite a bit better than I could find elsewhere on those items.

I wonder if the people getting shipping run-arounds are buying batteries or using one of the "expedited" shipping options? In those cases it may be tougher for the company to estimate shipping "incidentals" (i.e. bribe costs) at checkout time :)

superdave said:
I guess I lucked out. I ordered a Bafang BPM and KU controller from BMSBattery a few weeks back, picked the cheapest shipping option (FedEx CN) and it arrived in just a little over a week with no drama whatsoever. Shipping was crazy high, but item prices were crazy low so it was pretty obvious that they choose to put their markup on the shipping. I don't really care because I only look at total shipped cost when comparing prices and theirs was still quite a bit better than I could find elsewhere on those items.

I wonder if the people getting shipping run-arounds are buying batteries or using one of the "expedited" shipping options? In those cases it may be tougher for the company to estimate shipping "incidentals" (i.e. bribe costs) at checkout time :)

For me it's Fedex shipping and I only bought a motor ond some sundry stuff, no batteries or anything awkward.

Back