BMSBattery Puma Motors

Prices don't get much lower than that. Where do they ship from?

I registered to find out. Looks like shipping is $49 and change with dhl to US.

Those prices must be a mistake, heck they're lower than the Bafangs they sell.

The front motor looks like a geared motor but does this picture look like a rear Puma geared motor?

EP-Rear.jpg

A picture of a rear Puma from Holmeshobbies;

rear-1.jpg

-R

The weight is listed as 3 kg which is lower than the 3.9 kg 8fun on the same page. Holmes lists his as 3.9 kg as well.

Ive seen $100 shipping on motor kits from US retailers. :shock: $49 shipping from china oughta be here by spring or so. Good deal for those with no hurry though.

I'm no puma expert, but the cover shape looks like DD motors from the same factory as golden.

The last item I bought from ecitypower, the sister site of bmsbattery, was a controller I purchased through their eBay auction; it took 19 days to get to me in Wisconsin. The Bmsbattery site computes $50 shipping (DHL) for the $50 motor and shows arrival in 2-4 days,which I kinda doubt since the fastest I've gotten stuff from China to date is about 7.5 days.

-R

Russell said:
The last item I bought from ecitypower, the sister site of bmsbattery, was a controller I purchased through their eBay auction; it took 19 days to get to me in Wisconsin. The Bmsbattery site computes $50 shipping (DHL) for the $50 motor and shows arrival in 2-4 days,which I kinda doubt since the fastest I've gotten stuff from China to date is about 7.5 days.

-R

Their shipping estimates are transit times only. I purchased a Bafang rear motor from them - Jack Xie told me 3 weeks delivery (Down Under). That ending up being 2 weeks to source from factory, plus 1 week delivery via EMS (I selected UPS in the order, EMS is slower, but it got here nevertheless). I was quite pleased with the service.

Having been scarred from my Brett White :evil: experience, and with Brett still in possession of my money (12 months and counting), I was very pleased to discover bmsbattery. If it wasn't for their great prices, I'd still be sitting on the sidelines of ebiking. I did try Keywin btw, he couldn't supply the 200W version I was after.

Interestingly, here's some info from Mr White :twisted: on a rear puma variation with rounded case http://www.ebike.biz/bmchistory.htm ....although it doesn't quite look like that one anyway.

I'm guessing that the Puma name is just a "co-incidence". Still, someone needs to buy one and crack it open!

Hey all,

I had posted this to a thread of it's own but then I saw this thread on the same topic so...

It seems BMSBattery now has:

Front and Rear Puma 350w High Speed hubs
Bafang front and rear 250w hubs
and the Bafang BPM...

The question I pose is which is the best of the available geared hub motors from them?

I have 2 test platforms I would like to equip and evaluate:

26" specialized hard rock pro
20" downtube 9fs folding bike

Power, batteries, controllers - no problem, loaded to the gills... but there is just so much information on these motors but none of it simple to follow.

I want maximum speed and accelleration possible without pulling a pb gear trick... which hubs would be best considering I am used to a top end of 30-35 on the 26" and 27 on the 9fs, I wouldn't mind better accelleration, hill climbing and top end but I suppose that will be what the MS eDrive is for... the fastest build.

Any input is welcome... I do want to eval these motors but just not sure which would be the best performer.

Thanks in advance!

-Mike

So should I order a rear Puma just to crack it open and figure out what the heck it really is? Happy to do this if it will help = )

-Mike

mwkeefer said:
So should I order a rear Puma just to crack it open and figure out what the heck it really is? Happy to do this if it will help = )

-Mike

Yes please :)

Hey for $100 why not...if you need a motor that is. I won't buy a rear Bafang motor because the cable exits the drive side which complicates maintenance chores. The cable on the REAL Puma should exit the non-drive side and the picture above shows that clearly for the REAL Puma but for the bmsbattery "puma" I think that cable is coming from the drive side, unless they have threads on both sides(????)

-R

That's not a "Puma" - as in the Team Hybrid Puma that Knoxie used to have.

I'm 99% sure that is a direct drive motor, and they are just ripping off the name.

Russell,

I will place the order tonight for the Puma... I still wonder if someone could direct me for the best fit on the above posted bikes... I don't think this is a "true" puma either but hey... it's worth the shot (as long as it's not direct drive - I will check in with the guys at BMSBattery before I order)... I also need to order a pair of 900w chargers (one for me, one a build I'm doing for a client / friend).

The thing that throws me off is BMSBattery list these motors as for everything from 16" to 700c, so they must have the different motor codes in the bafang? In other words I could get the "FAST" 320rpm 20" and over volt it for 25-30mph?

I do want to test the bafang and honestly I don't do maintainence (beyond basic derailer alignment) on the rear and rarely if ever remove parts from a finished build (why fit it if it's not broke right?) so... any suggestions or clarifications on the other offerings they have?

Regards,
Mike

mwkeefer said:
Russell,

I will place the order tonight for the Puma... I still wonder if someone could direct me for the best fit on the above posted bikes... I don't think this is a "true" puma either but hey... it's worth the shot (as long as it's not direct drive - I will check in with the guys at BMSBattery before I order)... I also need to order a pair of 900w chargers (one for me, one a build I'm doing for a client / friend).

The thing that throws me off is BMSBattery list these motors as for everything from 16" to 700c, so they must have the different motor codes in the bafang? In other words I could get the "FAST" 320rpm 20" and over volt it for 25-30mph?

I do want to test the bafang and honestly I don't do maintainence (beyond basic derailer alignment) on the rear and rarely if ever remove parts from a finished build (why fit it if it's not broke right?) so... any suggestions or clarifications on the other offerings they have?

Regards,
Mike

When it comes to ordering from ecitypower/bmsbattery you need to be careful because I'm not sure they know all that much about what they are selling. It took me FOUR emails to get a proper answer to a simple question I had about the "brake" wire on the controller I ordered from them. All I can say is ask as many questions up front then tell them exactly what you want. If you want higher speeds and they don't offer different RPM motors per se then order a lower voltage motor and over-volt it.

-R

R,

I figured this overvolting but apparently its quite easy to peanut butter the nylon gears when over volting these... Ive done the reading just have too much information = )_

I see what you mean about BMSBattery/eCity, they really don't get it... almost every question Ive asked them gets bounced to some tech resource at the actual manufacturer... well, someone has to try it right?

Thanks!

-Mike

PS: Given the amount of time it takes to get things right with the communications ... it may be a day or two before the order goes in, Im not big on ordering and waiting for the wrong things = )_

mwkeefer said:
R,

I figured this overvolting but apparently its quite easy to peanut butter the nylon gears when over volting these... Ive done the reading just have too much information = )_

The people who turned the gears on their Bafangs into peanut butter simply ran them too hard and got them too hot. The small 250W Bafangs can handle high peak loads but you do have to watch it so the average power is kept somewhat close to the motor's rating. I have something like 2,800 miles on my 36V Bafang with two-thirds of that at 48V with no problems. I do use a 15A controller to keep peak power under 760W and I don't run it full bore all of the time, in fact my average power consumption from the battery is probably around 200W. I have even run a 24V GM Mini Motor, which is probably a Bafang, at up to 29 mph and over 1,000W but I didn't do it for long out of fear for the little guy. If you want to sustain high speeds you should not be looking at Bafangs, they do however make great little assist motors for people who want to ride their bike like a bike rather than a moped.

-R

Absolutely concur with what Russell states re Bafangs. I will say that at 36 volts unless you are really abusing the motor (jackrabbit starts etc) they hold up well. 48 volts and hot days combine to make P-nut butter and need steel gear replacement with its attendent problems. Any more voltage, well..............good luck. They are great assist motors if you still want to pedal alot! I do!
otherDoc

cripe look at the hall leads, snatched right out of the molex connectors (not that I use them anyway) but damn... those look like sh*t!

-Mike

The picture they show for the front AND the rear motor is the same one which is one example of what I dislike about bmsbattery and ecitypower, they never have enough info on their products for a buyer to make an informed decision. What's interesting is they claim "6/7/8 speed freewheel and disc brake for option" but I wonder if that's really true without spacers??? They also state "Wheel size:16",18",20",22",24",26" or 28" but what does that mean; do they sell motors in a whole range of RPM’s???? What I want to see is full dimensioned engineering drawings and graphs showing motor performance. I sent an email asking for more info but I'm not overly hopeful about getting a detailed response. I also wonder what happened to the “Pumas” they just listed last week; will the same fate befall the “Cutes”????

-R

Russell...

The info they posted back to me was lack luster to say the best.

It seems they are calling it a motor for X wheel size based on input voltage and therefore RPM.. bigger wheel, lower voltage.

I think they are dumping the Puma alibaba style or ebay only... (unless they sold out of the 9K units they claimed yesterday)... they might have caught on that we figured out they werent puma and decided to just source another brand... or the cute are the puma with just a misleading picture (I don't think any of the other information changed, did it?)

-Mike

that is not the BMC imitation called the PUMA. it looks like the direct drive motor that jim bot from rayben. neither of them run right now. one never ran, and the other seems to have overheated the BMS and the controller, jim thinks it has a short inside.

this second small motor has the hall leads loose like that because they took the nut and washers off so they had to take the plug off. or maybe they sell it with the nut and washer missing and the plug separate.

Back