BMW E "i5" conversion by Matija

jonescg said:
I understand it is quite difficult to get converted EVs through licensing inspections in Europe? I wonder why the conversion scene is so much smaller than in the USA or Australia and New Zealand.

Yes, it is quite difficoult to make licensing inspections in EU . Every country has its own regulations. In some of them you can't do inspection at all , for instance in Italy. In Slovenia you can't use DC motor at all , only AC. Buy us in Croatia, only the motors with metal plate with informations about Amps , kw and voltage, like DC motors from forklift. Warp has only label with serial number but I manage to do it. I don't know how if I put nissan leaf or gs450 elactric gearbox, I think I couldn't do technical at all ..
Nobody has done this at all.
I think nobody with average Croatian income (Rimac in not included) didn't do conversion of this scale like mine. Actualy one did couple years ago, on Opel Omega. He had Warp 9 , NetGain controller and 30 kwh LiFePo. This was also conversion of 20K eu . He has lot more money then me and didn't do allone. But it didnt last long. It burned because of cabin SSD relay heating.

Really great looking conversion. I especially like what i'm guessing is the charge indicator red/green led ring on the charge port, That is something that should and could be adopted my main EV manufacturers.

I think we are not so far from alot of AC motors controllers being hacked either via the evcan or 3rd party brains like the lebowski brain or vesc or Hubner. Good to see a build like this getting completed. Congrats.

Another video :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EUIBLTiZOVQ&t

This comprehensive video is a reminder of the good old days when I was working on this conversion and really enjoyed doing it. I was very passionate from start to finish. Even until today. Still one of the best cars that BMW EVER MADE !

Back