Brushless dual 6kw ALIEN Power system - electric longboard

sk8norcal said:
you can do that,

or
parallel the 2 ESC
to run off one battery pack.

your remote can controll both ESC

I'm also wondering how you connect two ESCs from one receiver..

All my electronics have arrived and now i'm waiting on Richard for my drive systems.

Here is my setup...

Landyachtz Tomahawk 2012 40' board
Alien drive dual kit + set of holleys
90mm ABEC 11 Flywheels
2 x NTM Prop Drive 50-60 270KV / 2400W
2 x Hobby King 150A High performance Brushless Car ESC
2 x Turnigy 5000mAh 6S 25C Long Lipo Pack
HK-210 2 Channel 2.4ghz FHSS Ground Radio

Hey would like to know your opinion.

BOARD BUILD
BOARD - Bamboo 9ply Longboard 35in to 40in max - MURCIE 39″ x 9.5″ x 28.5″ WHEELBASE DROP DOWN DOUBLE KICK LONGBOARD TOP MOUNT - 9ply Hardrock - http://churchillmfg.com/store/boards/ - $49.00 & Free S/H + $7.00 Grip Tape = $56 TOTAL
TRUCKS - Holey Trucks - 2 trucks - http://longboardskater.com/longboardp/H ... Black.html - $62.95/both & Free S/H
WHEELS - ABEC 11 83mm Wheels - Abec 11 FLYWHEELS Longboard WHEELS 83mm 75a + FREE ABEC 9 BEARINGS - $67.45 & Free S/H *can use any size of ABEC11 wheels try 102mm and/or 90mm
BEARINGS - ABEC 9 Bearings - FREE
RISER - 1/2" RISER - $5.57
TOTAL = $179.40 & Free S/H

For sure, I will be buying Alien Drive Kit for 2 wheel = Dual wheel drive kit- BLACK anodised - $271.81
Should I also buy 2 3kw motors and 2 wheel drive ESC from alienpower?
TOTAL (2) DRIVE SYSTEM = $271.81

or should I go with my own build from HK?

MY OWN BUILD
ESC = 2x Turnigy TrackStar 150A 1/8th Scale Brushless Car ESC - $67.73 - $135.46 both
MOTOR = 2x Turnigy Aerodrive SK3 - 6374-192kv Brushless Outrunner Motor - 2750w - $80.08 = $160.16 both
BATTERY = ZIPPY Compact 5800mAh 10S 25C Lipo Pack - $128.05
or BATTERY = Turnigy nano-tech 5000mah 5S 25~50C Lipo Pack - $55.98 = $111.96 for two.
CONTROLLER/RECEIVER = Hobby King GT-2 2.4Ghz 2Ch Tx & Rx - $15.99
CHARGER = What's best charger for a 10S battery? - http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/stor ... arger.html
+ BOARD
TOTAL w/o charger = $439.66

and what motor would be best?
Turnigy Aerodrive SK3 - 6374-192kv Brushless Outrunner Motor - 2750w - $80.08 *I like this one. I would get two.
Turnigy Aerodrive SK3 - 6354-215kv - 2100w - $60.22
NTM Prop Drive 50-60 Series 380KV / 2665W - $35.44
NTM Prop Drive 50-60 270KV / 2400W - $41.89

ALIEN BUILD
MOTOR = 2x 63mm motor $150.20/both
ESC = 1x big kit twin drive system, twin esc 2 brain (can be separately programmed) 1 signal output - 179GBP = $274.34
BATTERY = ZIPPY Compact 5800mAh 10S 25C Lipo Pack - $128.05
CONTROLLER/RECEIVER = Hobby King GT-2 2.4Ghz 2Ch Tx & Rx - $15.99
TOTAL w/o charger = $568.58

It's about $128.92 dollar difference between the two.

TOTAL MY BUILD w/o BOARD = $711.47
TOTAL ALIEN BUILD w/o BOARD = $840.39
$128.92 diff.

TOTAL MY BUILD w/ BOARD = $890.87
TOTAL ALIEN BUILD w/ BOARD = $1,019.79
$128.92 diff.

What miscellaneous items will I need? I will need charger.

Hi,
I am new to this forum and have a question on the alien motor as well as some of the HK motors listed - do these motors cog like most other motors and will I have to remove the belt to ride manual?

Thanks for all replies! :)

Hi Jacob,

I think you are using a similar setup as i am, 2x ESC, 2x NTM motors..

I am wondering how you setup the electronics?

1 Receiver to 2x ESCs.. and how you connected the batteries and how you intend on charging the batteries?

Can you please explain a little bit about your schematics to me? it will be best if you could take a picture of your wiring, etc..

I just received all my electronics and i'm trying to figure out how i'm going to assemble them..

thank!!

I have the two battery's hooked up to the esc and the motor seporit, this means I can charge each battery at different times but I am looking at different options ATM, I have the purchased a jr connector y splitor, 2x male to 1x female, an jr connector is the cable that plugs into the reciver, so you can connect both esc's to the one Chentel on the reciver thus controlling both esc's at the same time. But my wife has been on me to do work around the house, so haven't had the much time to play, still need to make cases, and I want to do split battery's so the packs are thinner under the board, or find custome made packs, if any one has found some thing please let me know, I was thinking 2 cells thick, in 3 rows. Or 6 rows for two motors:)

jacobbloy said:
I have the two battery's hooked up to the esc and the motor seporit, this means I can charge each battery at different times but I am looking at different options ATM, I have the purchased a jr connector y splitor, 2x male to 1x female, an jr connector is the cable that plugs into the reciver, so you can connect both esc's to the one Chentel on the reciver thus controlling both esc's at the same time. But my wife has been on me to do work around the house, so haven't had the much time to play, still need to make cases, and I want to do split battery's so the packs are thinner under the board, or find custome made packs, if any one has found some thing please let me know, I was thinking 2 cells thick, in 3 rows. Or 6 rows for two motors:)

Check out these batteries. I am using two of these in parallel and I think they have a nice thin profile.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=10480

So to the use the 4kw Alien power system (dual), you would need twin 8S batteries I understand to power the 50mm 275kv motors. anyone recommend some good low profile 8s batteries?

Kal

Guys, got the Mamba Monster waterproof version and I am so happy with it. I have @ 50 miles on it and no problems. Smooth acceleration and super nice braking. Forgot to mention that it comes with one year warranty if something goes wrong.
I followed the instructions the La Grange has and it is awesome, plus the RedRockBoardShop tested this ESC for a long period of time and so far no issues.

I got it from one of the NY stores for $150....plus i rode it in the rain through puddles of water and no problems.

Which mamba do you have and what type of batteries are running? I assume, you cannot run 10S on Mamba.

Mamba Monster 2 and Turnigy 4.5mAh 6S. I get @ 5 miles. I am assembling as a second pack the 12000 mAh 6S Headways lifepo4.

With my Hobby King 150A Car ESC (looks like a Mamba Monster knockoff) I get 15km+ (10miles +) on 6S 5000mAh. With 50% steep hill climbing I get only 10km but I am going up hill at 15km/hr so I guess that's to be expected. Turnigy SK3 190kv motor and 50% gearing.

I ride my board in Manhattan and I used braking every 50 yards. On the flats without braking I got @ 8 miles. There is diff. Voltage between life type and lipo.

Silenthunter said:
I used hk 150A and it died after one month of use. My battery is a lifepo4 type...

It doesn't seem to be working too hard but I am certainly suspicious of the quality. What timing were you using - I know the default timing was way too low?

Simonjook,

Are you referring to the settings of the ESC? I changed few setting around but I don't remember what it was exactly....

Are you referring to the settings of the ESC? I changed few setting around but I don't remember what it was exactly....

Yeah I was. I found the default setting was not keeping up and as a result was going to probably burn something out in a short space of time. I suspect I'll burn out mine with all the hard hill climbs I do but so far, so good.

I think the default timing is medium or normal but I set it straight to high when I got it. Later I went back to normal and under hard acceleration it stalled and dumped me on the pavement and I could hear in general riding the motor sounded unusual probably as the sync was a little out. So I switched back to high and it runs perfectly and only stalls out of very steep grades when I run out of puff. I might try "very high" timing at some point and just see if it can climb a little future before losing sync but I think my steep climbing issues are a lack of volts to generate the power required. The manual for the ESC states the very high timing is for experimental/expert use only so perhaps it's not so good for the ESC either.

Anyway, as I understand it, running with the timing slipping out of sync is bad for your ESC and likely to pop it as is my riding up hills until the stall point.

Thanks to Richard I've just received the Holley trucks and motor bracket set for my 'NTM Prop Drive 50-60 270KV' motor...

However, I'm facing one problem. as shown on the pictures below, there is a clip at the base of the shaft and the bore on small bracket is too small to fit this clip...n

I would have to enlarge the bore to fit the clip or add washers between the motor and the bracket but another problem is that the motor pulley I've made is too thick for the small bracket.. another mistake..should have checked the bore before I got the pulley made...

Now here's couple of options that I've figured out in order to fix this problem.. let me know what you guys think is the best solution.

1. Add washer between the motor and bracket, and machine the motor pulley for smaller shaft to fit into the small bracket.. (worried about sturdiness if I do this)
RIchard : does your 8mm motor pulley fit into the small bracket?

2. Machine a new bracket for larger bore to fit the pulley and reduce the motor mount hole range.
Richard : In this case can I ask you for CAD file of the motor bracket?

3. Return the motor brackets to Richard to exchange for larger bracket and purchase drive pulleys too. (I'm in South Korea and worried that shipping charges will cost more than it's worth)

motor.jpg

Motor+Bracket.jpg

pulley+and+bracket.jpg

Back