Brushless dual 6kw ALIEN Power system - electric longboard

beetbocks said:
Yes . There are sensors fitted but it was found due to the small wheel diameter that it ran better without the sensors..

Is there an ON/OFF switch with the kit as a standard or does it require additional hardware. If so, should we set it up?

There is no on/off switch and i've being through several solutions ,the problem is the very high Current draw up to 150A.
I'm currently using a 250a trip switch -designed for the Auto audio industry- it works perfectly and is relatively cheap. the down side is that its quite bulky (but lightweight) and you have cut a fairl large hole in the battery box..
I'm trying to source an all in one (on/off and antispark) device form a few members on the forum...watch this space.
IMG_0722_zpsf867be38.jpg

IMG_0721_zps9e83032b.jpg

IMG_0725_zps40d8eaf2.jpg

I might be out of my depth here but can't you just use a relay and and then use a smaller and more practical switch instead? I know that it's mostly switching space between items but it will help you to get a smaller switch...

Yes, the damaging spark-causing inrush of current is the problem. The speed controller's capacitors draw enough current to damage switches and wires, etc. Various things fix the problem, but it seems they're all complex or large or messy.

BTW: is that wavy silvery thing a carrying handle? Or part of a musical instrument?

I think some speed controllers are complete enough to include switching circuitry to deal with the inrush. Not in the R/C realm, of course.

Yes it's bulky but very lightweight .. And works perfectly ..
Ha ha yes that's what i play when I'm chilling.. It's a grab handle ,which incidentally I will putting on the website very soon, :D I find it extremely useful when coming to large kerbs etc...

Just off topic here. If you go with a single back truck motor set up (using Alien Drive), do you have to use the same Holey trucks in the front or can you use other more readily available ones? Anything you recommend?

beetbocks said:
Yes of course you can but surely if you use a holey in the rear , you've already bought a pair of trucks?
I do sell trucks with the kits by the way ..

Thanks. Just wanted to experiment. I am building a 2WD with 2x2000w motors, but wanted to test the feel 1wd of the board on 2 different decks.

Boo hoo !! I'm off the road at the minute!! A bloody bullet connector popped out of the rear motor whilst I was cruising, it's fried one side of the ESC!!! Word of warning make sure all your connections are super secure!!
Bruno on a well deserved holiday for 3 weeks now so I cannot get a replacement ..
Well I needed to concentrate on the new build .. On a good note the universal hub works perfectly !!! Photos to follow .

beetbocks said:
Boo hoo !! I'm off the road at the minute!! A bloody bullet connector popped out of the rear motor whilst I was cruising, it's fried one side of the ESC!!! ...
Did you coast to a smooth stop? Or did things get more interesting?

Richard

Really excited to see the update on your site Beetbocks! With 15t motor pulley what gear ratios have you planned to offer for the universal hub? Can't wait for the pics. I want to place an order now, but I'm holding out for the specifics (and another site update I suppose) to know what all to include in my order. Finally, what will the price be for the new hub rings and the hub?

To anyone with Brono's motors, what materials are used in the motors? I live in Hawaii which has humid and salty air. I recently bought six Tiger Motors all of which rusted where they now engrave their company name and specs. They rusted in four days after taking delivery. Every where else on the motors is impeccable.

Hi,

I have a question regarding anti-spark devices

I'm currently building a board with Hobby King 150A High performance Brushless Car ESC and does this ESC require anti-spark device?
How does anti-spark work and why do we need them?

Thanks~!

I'm currently building a board with Hobby King 150A High performance Brushless Car ESC and does this ESC require anti-spark device?

My Hobby King 150A High performance Brushless Car ESC says you do unless the spark doesn't bother you - it certainly does not have an antispark built in. The spark isn't really a big issue except for the contacts (or switches) that are actually sparking as it will eat away the connectors over time. You can arrest the spark by connecting initially through a resistor than hooking up the direct line. It's a pretty simple circuit. Here's an example: http://www.rc-warbirds.com/blog.php/tag/anti-spark/

Be careful as the antispark is not just to stop the spark but also stops the ESC being shocked loaded with high current

Well there are two ways of looking at it - the spark can blow the caps in your ESC if they are underspecced but with the high current ESCs we need for skateboards you should expect they will survive fine and are designed to handle the high inflow of charge. On the flip side if you connect and don't get a spark you have to wonder if your caps are failing and if they are your FETs wont last long - it's a little bit of a safety check before you trash your whole ESC. So the spark may be your enemy or your friend .. many high current ESC makers recommend checking for the spark each connection to ensure the ESC is ok before use!

I've bee trying to get two 50mm motors mounted to one truck, and the holey trucks are great for the kit but not so great for free riding. I will be using a truck called a death rey truck http://www.reytrucks.com/products.php I've been working closely with Richard, the benifit of using the death rey truck you can purchase just one hanger that is compatibal with your Paris, caliber, bear,Randell base plates, so we can try to cut coasts and also make the kit adaptable to people's existing setups. You can change the axel on the truck, the truck hanger is 170mm and you can get a 10mm, 20mm, or 30mm, that gives hanger size or 180mm, 190mm, 200mm, these trucks are excellent for free riding and down hill speed racing, if you use the baseplate provided you can pick you truck degree out of 50, 45, 40, and 35,
This gives you the freedom to ride how you love. 50 degrees will give you a very carvy ride sharp turns with a good stable feel, where a 35 degree will give u a stiff ride giving you the freedom to go fast, you them can choose in between feels.

The truck is CNC milled so they give you a perfect quality ride and feel, I've been riding on these trucks for about a yr know and fell in love with the controller these trucks give you.

All of this is great and some thing that you can look forward to, but I am still working on the kits and don't have the skill that Richard has, as soon as I can get a set of trucks to Richard we can then start working hard.

But I do have to say that Richard puts a lot of time into these kits and Bruno into the system's and developing new things suck as the universal drive hub, revers mount kits and any thing new like the rey trucks coast money.
I just wanted to suggest to Richard to put up a donation button on his site so we can donate for the future, because I'm happy to help, I think we have some thing great going, some thing adaptable some thing that can be repaired customised upgraded and can progress, the feeling of riding these evokes is great but when you have put the effort and hard work in your self it feels heaps better. This is some thing that boosted boards and ect do not offer, they have $500,000 in donations and still haven't provided us a product where Richard and Bruno have, and it's amazing.
I do understand that boosted boards want to give us the best product that can and its light and small, but we can achieve that to, and if you are all like me your wanting to get your hands on some thing right know. And Richard and Bruno have given us this and we need to support them.

simonjook said:
... So the spark may be your enemy or your friend .. many high current ESC makers recommend checking for the spark each connection to ensure the ESC is ok before use!

The spark is your enemy. No question. It's the result of incomplete engineering passing the buck to downstream systems. It damages switches and connectors. Unnecessarily. It makes things less reliable.

The ESC should pre-charge it's capacitors before energizing the core ESC. Many don't. They end up burying the appropriate place for the switch within their black box and passing the buck down the road. We try to mitigate by installing a pre-charge resistor outboard and after the fact. Then some ESC makers claim that will void their warranties! Why? Because they're cheap, lazy slobs. Energizing the whole ESC at a slower pace risks the processor crashing because of other design deficiencies. Why is that a problem?

Because their designs are so deficient that a processor crash could leave the ESC in a state of self destruction, where the wrong switches are turned on simultaneously or for too long. Processors crash. Just like PCs crash. For that reason PCs are designed so the processor is unable to destroy the surrounding hardware. Many ESC designers are not that careful.

You can join the slobs and decide to replace your connectors or switches on a regular basis. Or you can find a way to fix the problem. The best place to fix the problem is within the ESC -- which in many cases is not possible.

Anyone that claims the spark is your friend should be selling used cars.

Richard

It's the result of incomplete engineering passing the buck to downstream systems.

Oh yes that's very true ... my point being the need/desire/purpose for antispark depends ... on my budget board (total cost with a quality board less the $500) and my budget ESC it is desirable for me to eat bullet connectors and know the caps are still intact ... if I could afford an Alien or similarly priced ESC I would be hunting for a nice switch and adding a spark arrestor. But it's a different strokes and levels of quality for different folks kinda thing.

I noticed on the diagram on aliendrivesystems. It mentions that a BEC should be used for a battery 8S+. What BEC can I use? Could someone point me to the right direction?

jacobbloy said:
I've bee trying to get two 50mm motors mounted to one truck, and the holey trucks are great for the kit but not so great for free riding.

How are Holey trucks "not so great" for freeriding?
many pros ride cast trucks with no issues.
too bad Holey's are not popular trucks. The more popular cast trucks offer more width options and baseplate options.

I do like the idea of using CNC trucks for eboards.
More precision for the motor mount.
Also, one of the big plus CNC trucks offer (that many might not realize) is that the axles fits better than most cast truck axles.
Skateboard bearings have 8mm inner diameter, while cast axles use 5/16" axles, thus creating some slop.
Almost all CNC trucks come with machined axles with tighter tolerance.

This is some thing that boosted boards and ect do not offer, they have $500,000 in donations and still haven't provided us a product where Richard and Bruno have, and it's amazing.
I do understand that boosted boards want to give us the best product that can and its light and small, but we can achieve that to, and if you are all like me your wanting to get your hands on some thing right know. And Richard and Bruno have given us this and we need to support them.

I think what you mentioned about Boosted is completely inaccurate.
the 500k raised through kickstarter is NOT a donation.
They are preorders.
It takes a lot more commitment to set up production for 400+ boards.
And by having Boosted taking the risk of being the first to offer RC longboard to the market, they helped and inspired others to produce rc eboards.
And they attracted customers wanting a rc longboard.
Without all the press from gadget blogs covering Boosted, Richard would not have as many people interested in his kits.
And I believe Richard got into make his eboard because he read about the Boosted.

Also Richard/Bruno are not offering a turnkey product, which is what Boosted is aiming at.
That's a big difference there.
You can see how many issues people are running into trying to set up their own stuff and constantly asking Richard to answer basic questions.

Anyways, what Richard and Bruno have offered is great, LaGrange and eFlow also, the more competition the better.
I say support anyone trying to bring something new to the table. Kits or Completes.

Back