Cadence Sensor Bikes

automan25

100 mW
I'm considering purchasing the BBSHD kit from Luna Cycles. I have a concern however that lies with the fact that the kit relies on a cadence sensor and not a torque sensor. I know a torque sensor feels much more natural and that is what I'd prefer. I'm wondering if someone can explain to me how the cadence sensor works with the assist levels so I can determine if that will work fine for me. What does it feel like when you're riding the bike and the motor engages? Given flat ground, do the assist levels essentially equate to a given speed? Say assist level 1 will get the bike up to 12 mph, assist 2 to 15mph, etc. regardless of your pedaling cadence, so long as you're pedaling. Does the motor react to the cadence speed and try to match the speed that you're pedaling at or does it just turn on to the given assist level and run independent of your cadence? Your thoughts would be very helpful. Also, if anyone knows where I could test ride a bike with a cadence based system in the Seattle area I would be most grateful.

Thanks.

Everyone I let ride my BBS02 bike is fine with the Cadence system.

I explain it to them like this:

Every PAS level has a "target" pedal cadence (setting the system to 9 PAS levels is way better than 5).
Each increasing level of PAS has a higher "target" cadence and contributes more assist for you.
Let's say that PAS level 1 has a "target" cadence (pedal crank) rpm of 60.
If the brakes are not engaged, and after you pedal about half a revolution of the pedal crank, the bike will start to assist you to reach that "target" pedal rpm.
As you approach that "target" rpm (60 rpm at the crank), the system starts helping you less and less. When you reach 60 rpm, the system quits helping at all. If your cadence slows down, as in when you start up a hill, or you just start pedaling slower, then it starts to help you again.
This lets you easily cruise at a steady speed, even if there hills or you get tired.
If you want to go faster, just shift up. This lowers your cadence, and the system starts helping you again.
If you don't want to contribute much help yourself, then just pedal slower.

Every person who has ridden my bike says that the system is completely intuitive after riding it only a few blocks.
I actually only explain only about half of the above because they will "get it" very quickly anyway.
While I would like to have the option of a torque sensor too, I have ridden a Bosch system all day and didn't really even like it as much as my Cadence based system because it makes you put quite a bit of effort into pedaling, even if you don't feel like it, or are tired. The one thing I did like about the Torque sensor system was that you can "shoot" across an intersection from a stop easier because you get assist right away when you push hard on the pedals.

Of course, you may feel differently, but everyone has been happy with the system when they ride my bike.

Back