Can I run mixed FETs of the same current spec on the same controller? Voltage spec different but both way above requirement

I have a Ninebot controller with burnt traces - e-braking spike fried them and the resulting angry electric pixies killed a couple of the FETs.

I have another identical controller that died for other reasons and still has the high-power section intact. I wanted to salvage its FETs and use them in the first controller, but being a hamfisted idiot I broke the legs of two of them while taking them off the board, so I can't do a full swap.

The two controllers are 1:1 identical except the FETs themselves: the one I'm repairing has STP110N7F6 transistors, while the donor has STP15810 ones.

Both have a 110A current rating. The 110N7F6 have a 68V voltage spec while the 15810 have a 100V spec, but this is a 36V powertrain so neither are likely to ever get anywhere close to their maximum capacity.

Is it acceptable to just swap 15810 in place of the dead 110N7F6, or am I going to make more pixies angry?

It's likely they'll work ok...just keep in mind that if the resistances / etc of all FETs in a phase's half bridge are not the same, they wont' equally share current so some will have more load and stress than others.

So, I'd change all the FETs in any particular half-bridge to be the same. (meaning, all the upper fets at once, or all the lower, etc., rather than just one in a upper half of a phase, or just one in a lower half, etc).

Back