Can I use battery to charge swagcycle?

niwrad

1 W
My friend has an old swagcycle which comes with a built-in charger. Apparently the charger outputs 42V 1.5A to the built in battery.

My question is, is it possible to find some sort of IEC 320 C7 adapter to connect to a swagcycle's charger and charge it using say a 42V DC battery? What happens if I use a higher or lower voltage, would it blow up?

Unclear. You'll have to clarify. You want to power the charger with a battery, use the stock charger as intended, or...?

Charging a battery with another battery directly is a bad idea, there's nothing regulating the flow of current and batteries are rated for a certain amount of charge (and discharge) current.

An appropriate DC/DC converter can handle this task though. as well as doing the voltage conversion necessary to get the receiving battery fully charged (the sending battery will drop voltage as it drains, the receiving one will gain voltage as it charges).

Sometimes this kind of thing works, sometimes it doesn't. it depends on how the circuit was designed. Short of an in depth analysis of the schematics for the charger, the only way to know is to try it. However, the risk is destroying the charger.
Failure of that can happen in 2 ways. (1), it fails open, and when you go to plug it in, nothing happens. or (2) it fails closed, and when you plug it in later because it didn't work off the 42v supply, you get full AC voltage being dumped into the battery.

I've had 2 power supplies fail closed in the last month. One was on a test board and only generated some smoke and curse words. The other failed in an LED light while I was working on it, dumping 120v AC onto the 12v DC rail. I was rather shocked by that.

Back