Cassette on mid mounted hub motor?

aixelsyd

1 mW
The rear wheel of my bike in at my local bike shop having a new hub installed(old hub and too many wheelies :twisted: ). With the down time I've been doing some tinkering with the rest of the bike and had an Idea :idea: . Has anyone put a cassette on their mid mounted hub motor? It would really increase the speed range of the bike. You would have to either reverse the freewheel mechanism or weld it so it no longer freewheels. I have yet to take one of these apart so I have no idea if you can reverse them. Making the cassette fixed would work, the rear wheel of the bike would still have a freewheel so you wouldn't be pulling the derailer when you cut back on the throttle. Under pedal power would be an issue though. Would the short chain length a problem? What do you think?
21IZZ0KVwwL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

I have seen a freewheel with two sprockets on it, and also 3 sprockets...just as an option. You might also consider using a Nexus 3-speed IGH as a jackshaft. there is a version for a trike with wo sprockets, one that freewheels and one that is fixed to the shell. With the IGH freewheel, you could simply use a fixed cog on the mid-mount hub, on either side.

images

hybrid_rear_hub.jpg

aixelsyd said:
You would have to either reverse the freewheel mechanism or weld it so it no longer freewheels.
Or do what Rassy did, and IIRC run the chain from the cranks *under* the freewheel, and wire the motor for reverse, so that the motor will drive the chain but still freewheel when cranks pull chain faster than motor or if motor is off.

Would still require a crank freewheel.

Actually shifting with a derailer might require creative chain paths.

Back