Central battery mounting

RevBecca

10 mW
Howdy all..
Wondering if anyone can provide ideas on mounting brick-shaped batteries centrally in the triangle of the frame..
Would be grateful for any pics or advice on mounting with U-brackets or something similar.

Thanks,
RevBecca

Falcon ev bag... or make your own enclosure.. which i spent hundreds of dollars trying to do as a newb and failed :p

falconevbag6.jpg

http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=29211

Hey that looks cool, thanks for that!
Where can we get one of those bags?? Are they waterproof? Does it velcro down at the bottom too? How much movement do you get?
We have the big battery which normally mounts on a rear rack.. Hoping we can get it SOLIDLY mounted in the middle.
Thanks again :)

The review has a link to the seller's site. You have to call them and provide a CC, unfortunately!

If you pad things adequately, they won't move from side to side.
There is velcro on the bottom.
Waterproof - well, for the most part. The zippers have sort of a lining that goes over the top over them.

Thanks Neptronix :)
I'd missed the link, silly me!
Yeah, does look awesome, will definitely suit another project we are working on - making our own batteries from recycled cells, retired from hospital equipment. We are making these in triangular shapes, and this bag may be just what we were looking for for that at least.
Not sure this will work well for a solid brick battery, but can't hurt to try.
Appreciate your help.. Happy riding! :D

Ahh, you guys are great! That looks awesome.. But its not proving so easy with a pre-purchased GM battery as below..
Surely there is someone who has found a bracket for this type of battery..
EBB.1.jpg

Golden motor canada might sell a bracket as an accessory. I'm sure i've seen it on their site.
But that battery pack is rather heavy and would indeed go well in the triangle. You'd get better weight balance, for sure.

RevBecca said:
Wondering if anyone can provide ideas on mounting brick-shaped batteries centrally in the triangle of the frame..
Would be grateful for any pics or advice on mounting with U-brackets or something similar.
There are hundreds of ideas and pics in the various build threads here on ES, as well as at least two compendium threads. One is the "pics of your your creation" thread and the other is "your homemade battery mount/box" thread, both of which are easy to find. ;)

RevBecca said:
Ahh, you guys are great! That looks awesome.. But its not proving so easy with a pre-purchased GM battery as below..
Surely there is someone who has found a bracket for this type of battery..

haven't seen any easy way to mount those in the front triangle...

http://www.goldenmotor.ca/products/Sliding-Battery-Plate.html

http://www.rmartinltd.com/Electric-Bikes/MiPower-Orange-Electric-Bicycle-From-R-Martin-p180.html

http://www.conv-e.co.uk/index.php?page=gallery

Do you want to be able to remove the battery for charging, our have it fixed to the bike? Most of the mounting plates for that battery would make it slide out, which would be tight in the triangle. A cheap rear rack that clamps to the seat post has the correct angle to face the other way, into the triangle, and run parallel with the down tube. That could run along the top of you battery? Kind of like this (shameless plug for my other old ebike):

2tMSC.jpg

If that battery fits in the triangle, you are 90% there. All you'd really need is to attach a flat piece of metal to the bike frame, which would have a L shaped bend at the bottom end to keep the battery pack from sliding down the frame.

Then it's just a matter of your choice of how to strap the box to the plate. velcro straps, bungees, oversize hose clamps for heat ducts, etc.

I'm not going to dig for the photos of similar rigs myself. Often the metal plate simply bolts on to the water bottle mounts.

This is one of those obvious things that can bite you, but be sure there's enough room for your pedals and knees to clear the battery. That key sticking out could be a particular problem if it is not far enough forward to be out of the way. Anything more than about four inches wide could be a problem.

I've been experimenting with military surplus containers and bags to house my batteries to give my bike a bit more of a retro kind of feel, I've tried Ammo tins and Alice packs so far, which have worked OK.

I'm thinking (next time I get some cash in my hobby budget) of buying a bunch of these...

http://www.militaryandcamping.com.au/australian-basic-pouch-p-113.html

Then putting 2 x Zippy 6S1P's (or similar) in each one, which should fit including a little padding, then somehow fasten the belt clips to the top part of the bike frame (probably with cable ties).

So my theory is to have one of these pouches each side of the frame and then bring as many of the units as I need depending on how far I'm planning to go (each unit having 10ahs'), wire them all together with Anderson's and try and hide the cables as well as possible.

It's nowhere near as well engineered as the above projects, but I'm hoping it will have a kind of rustic charm. I'm a also fan of the heavy duty canvas because it's strong, fairly light and fairly water resistant.

That sounds pretty good too..
Thanks for all the ideas guys, brilliant!
We are also now building our own 'reconditioned' Li-Ion / NiMh batteries (recycling cells retired from medical equipment) into triangular shapes, and will probably house them in the falcon bags. 6kg of battery is giving us 36v26ah or 48v20ah, which is awesome, and these should be pretty affordable too (and more reliable than ping batteries, etc)..
Let us know if anyone's interested.

ALWAYS! interested in more batteries, and different types too... I'm actually in the process of building a new bike and drawing near the battery decision stage but the frame doesn't have a standard triangle configuration, it's more elongated... Are you just thinking about selling them in triangle configuration?

That's awesome that you're recycling the cells (big fan of that kind of thinking) and it sounds pretty light all things considered... My only concern would be longevity, any idea how many cycles they'd have left in them? Also what kind of price were you thinking about?

Our batteries can be made to any shape really :) Just gotta make up a template.
Yes, they are really light for their capacity, and we can build
The introductory price is $650 (including a $200 Cycle Analyst), add $100 for a custom-built shape.
On longevity, not exactly sure yet, but they weren't used much in their first job, and then retired after just 6 months, as defibrillators must be reliably working.. They are quality Panasonic cells, and this set-up has been working perfectly for over 2 years on a Vetrix..
Soon as I get a new camera, I'll post some pics here for you.
Thanks for your interest hey, its good to know folks are likely to want this sort of thing.. And really glad the idea of recycling batteries is attractive, we think so too :)

Back