• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

Cheap high capacity battery

eligri

1 mW
What capacity do you guys think this pack actually is? Seems way too high to be accurate.
Will be using for an E-bike at 1000W 48v. I would do 2 in parallel to achieve a safe discharge rate. Will be running in a fireproof bag/box.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000777104206.html?spm=a2g0o.detail.1000013.3.6be86a2d8NQSnY&gps-id=pcDetailBottomMoreThisSeller&scm=1007.14977.161855.0&scm_id=1007.14977.161855.0&scm-url=1007.14977.161855.0&pvid=cc07f0d1-c5db-4475-9999-c70dcc188121&_t=gps-id:pcDetailBottomMoreThisSeller,scm-url:1007.14977.161855.0,pvid:cc07f0d1-c5db-4475-9999-c70dcc188121,tpp_buckets:668%230%23131923%233_668%23808%234094%23176_668%23888%233325%238

Thanks

Considering there are 3 cells in parallel anywhere from 3Ah to 9Ah, probably a lot closer to 3Ah

So 36Ah is 100% BS?
Can it really be 3Ah and advertised as 36Ah? Seems like an insane jump. Was expecting something like 15-20Ah atleast.

IMO this forum should have a rule against posting these kinda topics, how many people are going to create topics with chinese batteries asking if the capacity is real?

brone said:
IMO this forum should have a rule against posting these kinda topics, how many people are going to create topics with chinese batteries asking if the capacity is real?

I've done my googleing, came accross the answer "some are real". Nothing as to how BS they are. Hence why I was asking if this 36Ah is like 20Ah, or more like 3Ah like above said.

It's clearly a 13S3P Battery, the absolute highest it could be is about 10.5Ah.
Some math: 53€/39Cells = 1,35€ per Cell, even less if you include the other materials and profit.
There is no way you can get any decent cells for under ~1€/Cell

I'm willing to bet that the 36Ah figure is really just 3,6Ah.

Well sir, I am SO GLAD you have asked!

This is YOUR LUCKY DAY!

It just so happens that, JUST FOR YOU, because you seem like a nice fellow, I have a DEAL just for YOU!

I have, right here in river city, a fantastic deal on a bridge I would like to offer you.

eligri said:
I've done my googleing, came accross the answer "some are real". Nothing as to how BS they are. Hence why I was asking if this 36Ah is like 20Ah, or more like 3Ah like above said.

If you can't tell that a 1kwh battery being sold for $70 is fake you either didn't do any research or you didn't understand your research. Duh.

eligri said:
if the price appears too good to be true, it is.

if it even seems kinda cheap for what you think you're getting, it's too cheap, and should probably be avoided.

it's a good general rule of thumb that tends to keep most people that follow it happier, without wasting money on stuff that doesn't do what they need it to.

unfortunately it's also a rule of thumb that many people won't follow, and then get repeatedly burned by bad deals. :(

fwiw, here's some math you can use to figure out if a pack might be "real":

$70 divided by just the 14 cells in series would be $5.

then, if it was really 36ah, it would probaly have about 10 cells or more in parallel (you wont' get high-end cells for $70).

if it did, then that would be 50 cents for each cell in the pack, and that doesn't count a bms, or interconnects, or labor to build it, or whatever is used to package it or glue it together..

those would be some really shitty cells. ;)

if you look around at known reliable cell vendors, you'll find that good cells are a few dollars each, even in high quantities.

so you can assume that a good pack is going to cost *at least* the price of the number of cells in it. if you had a 14s 10p pack, that's 140 cells.

let's be generous and say they only cost $3 each. that's going to be $420 worth of cells in it. probably another $100 of parts and labor, minimum, but we'll round it to give around $500 for a pack like that, that would be known to be made of good cells.

you could use that kind of research (starting with cells) and math like the above to figure out if a deal is really a deal or not. ;)

Thanks!

Found this offer locally, used but tested cells.
NUy3j27
https://imgur.com/NUy3j27
What do you guys think?

If good, what would you buy to get the following:
48V, 21A minimum, 15Ah+
Thinking either 12 or 13s, then 5-7 p

Thanks!

used cells (or used batteries) aren't worth anything unless you can personally sit there with them and prove they are good by testing every cell, *and* you know their complete history.

without that, you can't know what they've been thru, so you can't know if they will work for you for one charge-discharge cycle, or ten, or a hundred. you can't know what their voltage sag will be under what load, and you can't know if they were damaged either by their previous usage or by the disassembly process of whatever they came from.

with any used cell, you should double the number of parallel cells that you think you need for a particular application, and halve your expectations of the pack's longevity. (if you think a new pack would last you a year, estimate the used one will last you six months or less). if you're lucky, it will make you very happy and do what you want, and do it for longer than you expect. but if you're not, it won't even do that.

cheap packs from "random sellers" ;) should be treated the same way. some are good, some are not, but until you actually test them yourself you won't know.

also keep in mind that batteries are very tough to ship back for warranty, even if there is one, because of hazmat shipping rules, which get stricter all the time. so you will likely be stuck with whatever battery you get, even if it doesn't work. the cheaper it is, the more likely that scenario is (though there's no perfect manufacturer or seller out there, the cheaper it is the less likely it is to have been thoroughly tested and built well, of thoroughly tested well-built parts).

eligri said:
what would you buy to get the following:
48V, 21A minimum, 15Ah+
Thinking either 12 or 13s, then 5-7 p
first, 48v is 13s. 52v is 14s. those are "standards", as much as anything is in the ebike world. ;)

if you're determined to use cheap or used or unknown cells, you should keep the current needed for each cell as low as possible. an amp or two at most.

if you need 21a, then divide that by two for 2a per cell max, and you need at least 11p. if they're not very good cells, or well-used, 21p would be safer to need only 1a per cell max. some cells aren't even capable of *that*, so you'd need even more in parallel.

if you need at least 15ah, then for the same cheap/used/unknown cells, expect no more than 2ah each, and possibly not even that. so you'd need at least 8p, if the cells could give 2ah each.

also keep in mind that as they age, which happens faster the harder they are used, and the more used they already were to start with, they'll give less capacity and they'll sag more in voltage under load. so you should also anticipate that aging loss, and add at least some percentage (20%+ could be a good minimum rule of thumb) to your needs, to make sure the pack you get will still do what you want when it gets a year or two older.

exactly how much of any of these things you need to worry about is determined by the specific cell you use, and it's manufacturer specifications. every cell has different properties, some by a little, some by a lot, so you have to know which cell you're getting and what it's specs are. then keep in mind those specs were determined under very specific laboratory conditions (stated in the spec sheet), so any usage outside those conditions will give you different results than the factory got. how different and in what way...depends on how different your conditions are. that's for brand new cells.

if you are using used cells, then the spec sheet can only be a loose guide to their original capabilites, and may have little to do with what they can do now (which will be less, possibly much less, capacity (ah or wh) and amps (a)). you'd have to test them *under your conditions* to know what they can actually do *now*. or reinterpret whatever testing someone else did on them under their set of conditions to see if they will do what you want.

last thing--if you want everyone to be able to see your images, you'll need to use the attachments tab on your post to upload them directly to the forum. externally hosted stuff can't be seen by everyone (for example, something between me and imgur has broken those for a while now; the same is true of quite a few other image hosting sites).

@amberwolf

Thanks a lot for the help!

Found a local guy offering his old 10.5ah 48v battery with charger for 70$. Thinking about grabbing that one, then putting some new cells in there. Seems to be the cheapest offer for a case + bms + charger.

Shouldn't be any troubles reusing it, given that I put in new li-ion cells?

Once again, thanks :)

12 ah 18650 cells. We all want em, but they don't exist.

In your other thread, you said you need to go a "few kms". You also said you have a budget of $400, or less. Now you say you want a 48V 15ah battery.

Let's start with just exactly HOW MANY kms is in a "few". ????????? Use actual numbers, take off your shoes if necessary.

Do you have an adult you can consult with? Can you stop taking your medication for a couple days with no serious negative effects?

You do not appear to be proceeding in anything remotely resembling a rational fashion. The battery alone will exceed your total budget, and is far beyond requirements for any distance most would describe as a "few kms".

You are going to be a target for rip-offs from those who seek out folks who just fell off the back of a turnip truck. Which you certainly appear to have done. The new battery you were about to buy is targeted to exactly that crowd. It is total crap, a waste of time and money, and you fell for it, hook, line, and sinker.

I have a friend who is clinically insane. His purchasing processes closely resemble yours. He is regularly homeless and hungry, or institutionalized. He is also large, violent, and dangerous, and I have on multiple occasions dealt with him in person far more harshly than I have with you, at significant risk.

Everyone else who knows him, including his mother, has simply given up, because being nice simply does not work, and they are afraid to confront him with the harsh reality.

What you are doing is stupid nearly beyond the ability of a rational mind to comprehend.

I'm absolutely disappointed with the replies here except for a few like dogman dan's and amberwolf's.
A man comes to this site seeking advice and instead he gets shat on.

You guys need to keep your garbage hot takes on Twitter.

What a joke.

Hi all.

I've noticed quite a few sellers starting to use the "add the mah of all cells" approach to advertising capacity. So a 10S1P battery made of 1000mah cells isn't advertised as a 36v 1Ah pack, it's advertised as a 36v 10Ah pack. A 10S2P battery of the same cells is advertised as a 20Ah pack.

I don't know if it's ignorance, intentionally misleading, or part of a dispute resolution argument, hoping to confuse arbitrators, when they ask you to show photos of the batteries with 10 x 1Ah cells, but it definitely has been a pattern. Some of the ads I've seen for this have shown the pack with the shrink wrap off, and the maths adds up that way, I just don't know the motivation behind that practice.

So OP - I think it's safe to assume the 36Ah pack with 36 cells in it is actually 36 x 1Ah 18650s, so real capacity will be about 3Ah. That fits with most generic "Ultrafire" and other cheap sub $1 18650s as all I've bought had real capacities of 900-1200mah.

eligri said:
Found a local guy offering his old 10.5ah 48v battery with charger for 70$. Thinking about grabbing that one, then putting some new cells in there. Seems to be the cheapest offer for a case + bms + charger.

Shouldn't be any troubles reusing it, given that I put in new li-ion cells?
more things to think about before you buy (to show you need to learn about the systems before you go looking to buy *anything*):

does it have a bms?

what chemistry is the bms for? lifepo4? or li-ion? or?

what is the current limit on the bms? does that work with your system? (meaning, is it greater than what your system will ever draw?--if not, you'll need a new bms that is).

does the bms have balancing function built in? if not, you'll either need a new bms that does, or you'll have to manually check the cells for balance, and then manually balance them periodically (more often as they age, and if you go with the low-quality / unknown cells that you have picked out so far, probably fairly often right from the start).

is the case for 18650 cells? if not, you may not be able to fit those in there. you may have to buy pouch cells instead (which are usually harder to interconnect).

do you have the machinery necessary to connect new cells together? spot welder / etc for 18650s, unknown for pouch cells (depends on the cells and how they are designed to connect together) and do you have the interconnect materials? (nickel strip or whatever else is needed). if not, you'll need to buy those. the items and shipping (and customs duties, if any) could add enough cost to have been worth buying a decent pack to start with, depending on which way you go, and what deals you find.

is the charger the right current for the pack you want to build? let's say it's a 5a charger (more likely is a 2a, but for this game...): let's say the pack you build can only take a 2a charging rate--the charger will then be more than twice the rate the pack you build can handle, and it will age the cells more quickly, and heat them up more, than if charged at the correct rate.

or, for the opposite: let's say you build a 10ah pack with cells made for fast charging specifically so you can charge it quickly, in an hour. let's say the charger is only a 2a...it's going to take more than 5 hours to charge. you'd have to buy a new charger for the faster rate.

so...it's important to consider what you actually need, what you want, etc., before you go looking for stuff to buy.

if you don't, you end up with a pile of parts you've invested money in that you can't spend on the stuff you actually wanted/needed, and now you don't have enough money to get that stuff. :(

much better to clearly define your needs and wants, and *only then* go looking for stuff to buy that specifically matches those needs and wants.

eee291 said:
I'm absolutely disappointed with the replies here except for a few like dogman dan's and amberwolf's.
A man comes to this site seeking advice and instead he gets shat on.

You guys need to keep your garbage hot takes on Twitter.

It’s not a natural right to be respected or pampered if you are acting or talking stupidly. This is an open forum; the customer is not always right. Not being treated like a dumb dick is one of the incentives we have to become less stupid.

Lithium ion batteries are much more ruthlessly critical of stupidity. Better that someone hears it from a blunt but knowledgeable person.

Blunt but kind would be better for the community.

A noob is ignorant, not stupid.

And even less quick on the uptake should not be chased away.

Unless willfully obnoxious

which IMO should mean a vacation no matter how expert or smart you are

There is a basic truth about human nature that many wish to ignore.

People will strive to gain a more positive situation, HOWEVER- they will strive HARDER to avoid a more negative situation. Pain is a teaching tool, that is why it exists.

Joe, if you increase your piece rate, you will get a raise.

Joe, unless you increase your piece rate, you will loose your job.

One of those is more likely to see an increased piece rate than the other. One is incentive, the other is motivation. One method is more effective at achieving the desired goal, another less so.

I am less concerned about the OP's individual problem than the 35 people who will follow him down the same road, because they are, and they will.

Two decades of providing free, online tech support have shown me that nicely and politely excusing people's bad decisions and poor judgement results in repeating the same explanations over, and over, and over again. Reaming some poor schmuck unmercifully results in a significant increase in new people stating "I have learned that I should NOT do 'X' ".

The OP "learned" at another site, about the magical 36 AH battery for $70. He could have lost a good chunk of his limited budget or even burned his house down, because that site had a bunch of folks like Mr. cat-crappin'-rainbows who will tell him "some of them are real" and nobody like me, who told him he is out of his friggin mind.

Happy feelings all around are far less important than achieving the desired goal.

Back