Chinese 50 CC Scooter/Moped Conversion

Mastedon

1 µW
New to this forum and hoping I'm in the right place. I could not find a similar thread, so...

We've got several 50CC-125CC scooters/mopeds from China & South Korea which we love. As with our 4 wheel vehicles, it's time to upgrade to EV technology. I searched Google and came across this site and a similar conversion thread, with many great comments, tips, and guidance on the electronics. However for my first build/rebuild I'm not inclined to collect the multiple necessary parts and equipment knowing that I made the right decisions, they will all match up, and I will have a working piece of machinery at the end.

So I'm hoping someone here has seen a similar experience and can offer guidance on some trusted conversion kits which come with all the major parts which work together. Then all I need to do (LoL) is swap the motors, rewire, connect, configure, and all the other things which will be necessary.

At this point I'm thinking of keeping the variator initially, although I will probably make some mods to it for the performance issues discussed in other threads here.

Thanks in advance.

The first thing to do to make sure a project turns out usefully is to define the job they have to do for you, and the conditions they have to do it under. Then you can figure out how much power it will take to do those, and start working out what electrical system to get to do it with, and how big a battery it will take to do that job for the time/distance you need.

If you're always riding on flat ground and good roads with no wind, and you don't have to accelerate quickly, then a minimum-power system will work, whatever amount of power it takes to reach the max speed you require.

If you have hills or winds or unpaved roads or need quick acceleration, you can use that information (how steep the hills, how fast the winds, how much weight and how quick the acceleration needed, etc) with simulators or calculators like the ones at ebikes.ca to find out how much power is needed.

Which kits might work will depend on what job you need the whole system to do for you, and the specifics of the actual vehicle they must fit on, as designs can vary quite a bit, and might fit some stuff but not others, or require extra hardware to beef up a mounting point or help something attach correctly, etc.

Hub motor for the win. You really don't wanna be messing with the variator as well as the electric motor if you don't have to. Also their efficency is horrible

Back