Combine volt amp and Ah meter for USD $15

Gotcha! Unfortunately Cyano glues are not waterproof and really can do damage to some electronics. Guess how I know this? Well I'll tell ya. I superglued a 16S HXT connector once and I had to rebuild a Ping battery with a new BMS. I learned "Don't do that!" the hard way.
otherDoc

haynz said:
k - i'll ask seller. he recommended me this meter cause of it's readability in sunlight - my test been at evening, but i guess i need sunshield for sunlight :roll:

It would be nice if they made one with a LCD display.

I need the equivalent of a real-time fuel guage, my budget is limited, which one would folks recommend? My lowest voltage would be 59 volts,upper limit would be 70 volts, would like accuracy within 0.1 or even better within 0.01volts.Lately been riding just by estimating where my battery voltage is at.

pff7 said:
I need the equivalent of a real-time fuel guage, my budget is limited, which one would folks recommend? My lowest voltage would be 59 volts,upper limit would be 63 volts, would like accuracy within 0.1 or even better within 0.01volts.Lately been riding just by estimating where my battery voltage is at.

It depends on your maximum current. Here's one that's good for up to 30A:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Digital-Dua...990?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a2166b6a6

You can search around eBay and find a wide variety. The one above has a %capacity funciton, which would act like a fuel gauge. One drawback is I think they will reset if you turn the power off.

Hi - i have such a display cause seller told me, that this one is readable in sunlight .... - .... it's not even readable at cloudy outside ... just indoor & at night :(
I ordered CA now - main reason is illuminated speedometer too :D
Too it's measuring at using at a ebike seems not really accurate ... much changing values ... just a funny indicator :D
K- batteryvoltage seems to be correct - but for this u can use simplier things ....

fechter said:
pff7 said:
I need the equivalent of a real-time fuel guage, my budget is limited, which one would folks recommend? My lowest voltage would be 59 volts,upper limit would be 63 volts, would like accuracy within 0.1 or even better within 0.01volts.Lately been riding just by estimating where my battery voltage is at.

It depends on your maximum current. Here's one that's good for up to 30A:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Digital-Dua...990?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a2166b6a6

You can search around eBay and find a wide variety. The one above has a %capacity funciton, which would act like a fuel gauge. One drawback is I think they will reset if you turn the power off.

Nice,fechter thanks. Free shipping to boot!

haynz said:
Hi - i have such a display cause seller told me, that this one is readable in sunlight .... - .... it's not even readable at cloudy outside ... just indoor & at night :(
Too it's measuring at using at a ebike seems not really accurate ... much changing values ... just a funny indicator :D
K- batteryvoltage seems to be correct - but for this u can use simplier things ....

Are you talking about the one above you? What is CA? Cycle Aanalyst?

haynz said:

I think there is a setting in the programming for display brightness. The default setting is about half way. If you increase the display brightness it will help, but still hard to read in daylight.

Can u give me advice to set brightness pls ... i didnt see in manual nor in setting mode ...:(
#

haynz said:
Can u give me advice to set brightness pls ... i didnt see in manual nor in setting mode ...:(
#

I know I saw that somewhere, but now I can't seem to find it. I'll keep looking. Wish I could read chinese.

Nice find, mounted it on my charger 8)
5a.jpg

For this use its good i guess - but not for cheap-CA :D ... it has problems with quickly changing values i guess ...

Doctorbass said:
What i liked is that they also have some model that are programmable with a programmable output to trigger a relay. so you can program some limits and activate the relay :wink:
I had ordered one of these programmable units already and it arrived yesterday. Pretty slick - even has English instructions! These units come with a separate interface board, an external shunt (more stable than internal shunt), and display two decimal digits of precision (nice for single cell capacity testing).

ProgrammableDualDisplayComboMeter.jpg
View attachment ProgrammableDualDisplayComboMeter.pdf
  • Pressing the V/W button selects V(olts) or W(atts) for the top display.
  • Pressing the A/H button selects A(mps), Ah, or H(ours) for the bottom display.
  • Pressing the Out button toggles the outboard control relay ON/OFF, holding it in enters Setup, pressing it also clears the Alarm condition.
  • When in Setup mode V/W and A/H buttons are the UP/DOWN value selection buttons.
  • The Out indicator reflects the ON/OFF state of the control relay
  • The AL indicator reflects the state of the Alarm (there is also an annoying beeping)
The running hours and total AH are cleared on power off. If any of the alarms are configured but not saved, they will be in effect until power-off. All alarm settings can optionally be saved (together) and they will be preserved if the unit is power cycled. The alarm condition clears Out to deactivate the control relay - it's latching and must be cleared by pressing the Out button; the alarm will immediately re-assert if any limiting condition is in effect.

The measured voltage (Vin, Gnd) shares a common ground with the meter power (+Vext, -Vext).

The control relay output drives a small C9013 NPN transistor driver on the interface board which has an on-board snubber diode across (+Rly) and (-Rly). (+Rly) is tied to (+Vext) and (-Rly) is tied to the transistor collector. This means that the control relay coil voltage should match (+Vext) - e.g. use a 12v relay if (+Vext) is 12v.

The transistor driver configuration without an attached relay presents (-Rly) as a simple open collector driver to Gnd. It should be possible to directly tie (-Rly) to the HVC+ input of a Fechter Mini-MW Limiter v.3 so that any meter alarm can terminate charge without the need for a relay. This would allow the meter to be configured for maximum Ah and charge time to back up Mini-MW operation should something go awry in the pack such that normal charge termination cannot occur.

I tried a series setup of two 36v MWs, driving the meter Vext from the lower MW and all worked nicely as expected.

Hello all,

I purchased the original meter in this thread, and am now trying to get it to work with an external 200A shunt purchased from the same seller...

Currently eyeing out JMP1 and trying to work out where to insert the voltage reading across the shunt into the circuit.

The four unused points in the PCB are obviously my first thought. Has anyone had success in this regard?

Thanks!

cheap don't mean a thing when you just had the bike stop a long way from home and these meters won't tell you squat because they are now memoryless.

the CA retains the data so you can analyze the "what just happened?". priceless.

Alan B said:
The Cycle Analyst does a lot more than these meters.
These meters are good for charging setups but they don't really replace a CA on the ebike.
Spot on. The CA is far more than an expensive Ah meter with fins - it's evolved from a monitoring device into a control device that can dramatically change the drivability of the bike with power limiting, switchable power levels, throttle scaling and ramping, pedal assist, etc.

As AlanB points out - It all depends on what you want - or can afford. This is not to say that the CA does not provide excellent monitoring, but comparing it solely on that basis to a meter or even a PIM is to ignore its most powerful features.

Here is one of the original meters in this thread being used for charge monitoring. It works well but seems to read a bit high in current as the shunt heats up (indicating the shunt material is not optimal). The power supplies regulate at 12 amps but after a short time will display 12.5 amps. This also going to affect the integrated amp-hours, making them read a bit high.

Here it is displaying 25.0 volts and 12.7 amp hours at the end of the charge cycle:

IMG_20121017_113547.jpg

I purchased the original meter in the thread because of its expandability, planning to use an external shunt.

After some communication with the seller who kept asking me to wait two days and then offered to pay to have it looked at by an electrician or something here, they gave me a full refund of the price of the meter AND the shunt, as they were unable to tell me how to make it work with the external shunt.

Both items worked, I just couldn't make them work together as was advertised...

So for anyone wanting to expand the power of this meter, rather get the other ones posted in this thread that are explicitly for use with a shunt.

Can't complain about the service I received, I now have this meter for free as well as a 200A shunt.

wow, that seller has some good items and great prices!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Digital-LCD-Thermometer-Meter-Gauge-PC-Computer-MOD-Temperature-Waterproof-probe-/181004140339?pt=US_Weather_Meters&hash=item2a24afff33

http://www.ebay.com/itm/AC-220V-LCD-0-200A-DC-Digital-display-LED-Panel-Ammeter-amp-Ampere-Meter-/181004140330?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a24afff2a

Awesome!

Cheeseboy said:
wow, that seller has some good items and great prices!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Digital-LCD-Thermometer-Meter-Gauge-PC-Computer-MOD-Temperature-Waterproof-probe-/181004140339?pt=US_Weather_Meters&hash=item2a24afff33

http://www.ebay.com/itm/AC-220V-LCD-0-200A-DC-Digital-display-LED-Panel-Ammeter-amp-Ampere-Meter-/181004140330?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a24afff2a

Awesome!

That temp gauge only goes up to 70C or 158F. Is that even worth using ?

It looks sweet , but im thinking I want something that goes a bit higher ?

it says 20-70C, but looking at the analogue display it goes a bit higher... I purchased a cheap temp meter before that had 70 as the upper limit before, (not the same one) but I took it up to 90 without anything happening... maybe past that point it would damage a component and make the readings lose accuracy, but I don't know.

The analogue display is what I found interesting

Back