Community Project - All.In.One CARBON FIBER DECK

Awesome job! Looks great. That's actually very promising.

What about ESC, wires, receiver, on and off switch, charging port and BMS?

I like the 10S8P. The 8P is awesome.

38.77" long and 9.64" width with .90" thickness.

Beast! What about the drop proofing? Would it be fine to drop the deck from waist high and/or 38" to the ground.

Looks awesome! But personally, I would use less cells and have the electronics in deck. Thats why diy is so nice!

For the battery: could you create a system to just snap in single cells, like we do with normal batteries? With a click in option for changing the battery config as well, so anyone could use cells and config of their liking without the trouble of soldering or having them spot welded.

The electronics (bms/esc/reciever) would be in the deck as well. They would fit easily in the kick/ tail area. But waiting to get the VESC in hand before I spent time modelling that section. There will be a panel somewhere with charge port, battery meter, on off switch.

Also note If it was 10S7P there would be Heaps of space... I literally just tried to put as much WH as possible.

Yes you could make this just with battery holders so the end user can pull dead cells or just have less cells in total but it would be horribly unreliable...

My battery factory says the only way to make reliable pack is spot welding and ABS battery holders.

So trying to design this so that the individual cell configuration can be modified would be difficult and much more expensive and this would also possibly not be as robust.

However this design should definitely offer the ability to fully remove the entire battery assembly for repair/replacement.

To fully maximise WH a custom made 18650 battery pack is required.

In terms of this being shock proof and drop proof... I hope it would be.

furp said:
Looks awesome! But personally, I would use less cells and have the electronics in deck. Thats why diy is so nice!

For the battery: could you create a system to just snap in single cells, like we do with normal batteries? With a click in option for changing the battery config as well, so anyone could use cells and config of their liking without the trouble of soldering or having them spot welded.

Funny we got the same reaction when we saw the idea :lol:

Are you sure there can't be another way to make the cells reliable? This would certainly be more expensive than spot welding but there must be a way.

Nice to know the electronics will be in board, for some reason I thought the ESC would be outside. I guess wie must rely on the battery company then, I just tought it could be possible with a tight clamping mechanism and no wiggle room. ( seeing that some people link their cells via magnets)

Looking forward to this!

If there is not a solid, large area of contact on each cell there can be issues with over heating in the connections between each cell.

Say for instance you get a build up of dust and it wriggles it's way in between the cell and the copper contact that is only in place due to spring forces...

This may narrow the path of electricity flow and during high amp draw the heat will build up at the narrow points & start melting stuff or even catch fire.

In saying this, I am sure with a well designed clamp system and good packaging you could make something work reliably. But then you must ask whether it's worth it.... Because it's just going to increase price and make the system more complex.

As great as a carbon deck would be for lightness my main issue would be the lack of flex. Rigid is great for some people but not all.
I wonder if the following would be possible:

Make the deck out of CF but the middle part would be almost completely flat (delete the sides of the battery depression) - so that it could flex.
Replace the sides of the battery depression with flexible aluminum angle iron or the like.
Use thin flexible ABS or wood for the lid.
There are matching holes along the sides of the deck - through the ABS, the edge strips, and the carbon - bolts are put through to make a tight but flexible sandwich.
The aluminum could be replaced with wood or titanium or whatever's right for the rider to tune the flex.

Hm, I was really fond of my own idea there but you are right :)

agraham said:
As great as a carbon deck would be for lightness my main issue would be the lack of flex. Rigid is great for some people but not all.
I wonder if the following would be possible:

Make the deck out of CF but the middle part would be almost completely flat (delete the sides of the battery depression) - so that it could flex.
Replace the sides of the battery depression with flexible aluminum angle iron or the like.
Use thin flexible ABS or wood for the lid.
There are matching holes along the sides of the deck - through the ABS, the edge strips, and the carbon - bolts are put through to make a tight but flexible sandwich.
The aluminum could be replaced with wood or titanium or whatever's right for the rider to tune the flex.

If I understand it correctly, you want to create a kind of hinge between two stiff sections of the board and controll the flex with the material that blocks the hinge? I like the flexibility that would offer, but it might be too complicated to implement to be worthwhile.

This deck cannot flex. The primary purpose of this deck is to carry a sh*t load of Wh.

Composite materials can be engineered to flex.

But that cost money. The best cheap material for flexibility is natural fibres, such as bamboo and maple.

A composite of bamboo / maple carbon can be strong, light and offer some flex. However Batteries don't really like to flex.

This 740 Wh deck would need to be rock solid.

furp said:
If I understand it correctly, you want to create a kind of hinge between two stiff sections of the board and controll the flex with the material that blocks the hinge? I like the flexibility that would offer, but it might be too complicated to implement to be worthwhile.

I was thinking the entire length of the battery cavity would flex by virtue of that section of the board being completely flat (two CF surfaces sandwiched with uniform thickness of foamcore across the width of the board). The sides of the battery cavity would be made of aluminum or wood instead.

As onloop says, this would require the batteries to flex too which means they would have to be packaged in a way that allows that (for example packs of a dozen cells that are laid out side by side with flexible connectors between them).

This idea doesn't mesh with onloop's I guess. Maybe I'll create my own thread for the CF deck of my dreams some time. :)

torqueboards said:
I've been talking to a few smaller longboard shops and a few have expressed interest in building an all in one deck as well.

Any ideas on compartment size?

I was thinking of a 36" or 38" length deck that has a kicktail and a long wheelbase for added compartment room.

I suggest about a 9.75" width and perhaps about 7.5" to 8" width compartment and being 18" long.

Ability to use both geared/belt drive setups and hub motors.

The question is... do we want to add the option to use All Terrain Pneumatic Wheels with our setups?

If that is the case. We would need something similar to Evolve's setup.

carbon_2_in_1_with_kegels_4a09469c-0f2a-4bcc-b5bd-aaff993bd88f.jpg

What do you guys think?

lucys company here makes the evolve CF longboard deck

every one contact here they have made hundreds of them know and have made a few for other companies.
send them your design and the price is around $1000 for the mould $500 for tooling and $150-200 per deck!

Lucy Li
CHN Carbon Fiber Technology Co., Ltd. (CCF)
Certified to ISO 9001:2008
MP: +86 133 1297 9866
MSN:lucyliii@hotmail.com
Trade Manager: cnchncf or cn220198300
QQ:757821680
Email: lucylii@126.com or lucy197803@gmail.com

they can do whatever we want... just need to give them a design, then spend several hours, days discussing with them..

in the end it comes down to "biting the bullet" get one sample made then see if it is strong enough, if not go back to the drawing board and make the internal structure stronger.

My approach would be to over engineer the design so that you don't waste time & money doing several sample runs.

what we must do is.

1. decide on shape
2. decide on how many batteries we want to fit inside
3. once we have a model maybe get an expert to look at the structural design

then we need to get the mold made and make it....

simple really... raise your hand if your keen? (or maybe write it)

they can do whatever we want... just need to give them a design, then spend several hours, days discussing with them..

in the end it comes down to "biting the bullet" get one sample made then see if it is strong enough, if not go back to the drawing board and make the internal structure stronger.

My approach would be to over engineer the design so that you don't waste time & money doing several sample runs.

what we must do is.

1. decide on shape
2. decide on how many batteries we want to fit inside
3. once we have a model maybe get an expert to look at the structural design

then we need to get the mold made and make it....

simple really... raise your hand if your keen? (or maybe write it)

Composites Engineer here. I'm not sure how the Chinese company you listed builds their parts but those prices are REALLY low. That doesn't necessarily mean they can't make good parts, but it does mean that you may have to work with them to get what you want, and the prices may go up. For instance, what kind of foam will they use? What kind of resin? How thick are the laminates? Is it all carbon or are fiberglass or aramids used too? What type of carbon and what orientation do they configure it? What is the manufacturing process? What is the quality like? These are all things that need to be addressed. Your best bet is to over engineer the part to make up for manufacturing deficiencies.

There are some things to note about composites. First off the stiffness is a function of the total part thickness cubed. Strength is tricky as it has to do with failure mode. In general with a sandwich panel part you can make the part thick and use thin laminates(this would be very stiff), or you can make the part thin and run thick laminates to make a strong but flexible part. Either direction has trade offs as far as weight, cost, quality, etc. You also need to look at mounting points and how the trucks and other parts will attach without causing laminate cracking or crushing the foam. Again your best bet is to over engineer. Using plastic blocks embedded in the foam where any screws will pass through the part is one inexpensive way to make a strong mounting point.

Sometimes people get carried away with trying to make composite parts as light as possible and they end up with something that doesn't hold up in the real world. In the case of something like a longboard a little extra weight/money in thicker laminates, strong mounting points, and a well designed part will go a long way for durability!

cord said:
Composites Engineer here. I'm not sure how the Chinese company you listed builds their parts but those prices are REALLY low. That doesn't necessarily mean they can't make good parts, but it does mean that you may have to work with them to get what you want, and the prices may go up. For instance, what kind of foam will they use? What kind of resin? How thick are the laminates? Is it all carbon or are fiberglass or aramids used too? What type of carbon and what orientation do they configure it? What is the manufacturing process? What is the quality like? These are all things that need to be addressed. Your best bet is to over engineer the part to make up for manufacturing deficiencies.

There are some things to note about composites. First off the stiffness is a function of the total part thickness cubed. Strength is tricky as it has to do with failure mode. In general with a sandwich panel part you can make the part thick and use thin laminates(this would be very stiff), or you can make the part thin and run thick laminates to make a strong but flexible part. Either direction has trade offs as far as weight, cost, quality, etc. You also need to look at mounting points and how the trucks and other parts will attach without causing laminate cracking or crushing the foam. Again your best bet is to over engineer. Using plastic blocks embedded in the foam where any screws will pass through the part is one inexpensive way to make a strong mounting point.

Sometimes people get carried away with trying to make composite parts as light as possible and they end up with something that doesn't hold up in the real world. In the case of something like a longboard a little extra weight/money in thicker laminates, strong mounting points, and a well designed part will go a long way for durability!

i don't know about type of foam but they use 3k carbon fibre, with the total thickness of carbon being about 1-1.5mm thick surrounding the whole foam core deck, they use a crossing pattern for laying the fibre to gain strength, they also use solid carbon fibre in the nose of the decks to induce stretch and to support the part where the trucks attach.
contact lucy she will tell you!

hi cord, thanks for your input.

so if we develop a model and we tell you the method that will be used for layout, like the thickness of the carbon etc. Can you provide specific feedback about how it might hold up in the real world? if so it could really help us...

I think it is also worth noting & probably one of the biggest advantages with this particular factory is they have experience in the precise area that we need them to be experienced in, as they currently manufacture commercial grade carbon fiber decks used in electric skateboards.

p.s. i don't see many people showing interest though... so in the end i might not happen.. i think 10 people would get the ball rolling.

onloop said:
hi cord, thanks for your input.

so if we develop a model and we tell you the method that will be used for layout, like the thickness of the carbon etc. Can you provide specific feedback about how it might hold up in the real world? if so it could really help us...

I think it is also worth noting & probably one of the biggest advantages with this particular factory is they have experience in the precise area that we need them to be experienced in, as they currently manufacture commercial grade carbon fiber decks used in electric skateboards.

p.s. i don't see many people showing interest though... so in the end i might not happen.. i think 10 people would get the ball rolling.

Yes I'm happy to help! If they are already building something similar then that will help a lot. Does the board they are currently building have internal electronics like this board? It's hard to tell from the CAD file you posted but I'm wondering if you will make the base board carry all the load, and have a cover over the electronics that is non load bearing, or if the cover is part of the board structure? This will make a big difference in how the board should be designed.

For shape, I'm biased. I love the superglider. Love the mockup too.

I think fewer batteries/less weight is ideal. Perhaps have a configuration that accommodates multiple battery packs? Also, perhaps it could accommodate Lipos too? Some options are good... But not too many.

Could this be prototyped with fiberglass first? Would it be worth it?

Maybe Hi5ber would be interested in working with ES? Eboards are big now, so it might be an interesting proposition for them to expand into the field. They're a small father-son business and seem to put out good products at reasonable prices. And supporting small businesses is always a good thing.

http://www.hi5ber.com

Back