• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

Comparing two crystalytes

bikezen

1 mW
Hi all,

I've got two Crystalyte motors I'm riding and one of them is way less powerful than the other. I'm wanting to understand what's causing the difference in top speed.

On system 1, I've got a 408/4011 motor, 72V controller, and a Ping 36V battery. The motor is only used on the speed leg of the windings, not the torque leg as I live in a flat area. I'd say on a good day I might be going 15 mph or so. This is a recumbent, so no speed demon but with the throttle floored I'm able to easily keep up pedaling. The motor is on a 20" rear wheel. I replaced the controller maybe a year and a half ago.

On system 2, I'm testing an unknown Crystalyte motor (409?) that I've been told pulls 250 watts. It's also got a 36v lithium-polymer battery pushing it. This sucker is fast. I'd say I was pushing 25 mph without pedaling cuz my bike isn't geared fast enough to keep up. This motor is on a 16" front wheel.

I'd say that the second motor pulls more watts. It's on a smaller diameter wheel, so it's really smoking fast compared to the other motor. Really I'm trying to understand why motor #1 isn't faster than it is. I've got a Watt-meter and such. What are the limiting factors? How can I test or figure out why the two motors have such different top ends?

Back