Could Electric Bikes Be Killing Off America’s Car Addiction?

LockH said:
DRMousseau said:
LockH said:
So V.Sorry to read that such "cheap" transportation (?) is a "barrier" to some.
Some??? Seemed pretty significant to 70-80% of the large number of respondents.

:) Maybe look at it as loading the costs of years of purchasing gasoline/diseasal fossil fuels "up front" into the purchase price of that new vehicle. Any better? :wink:

Perhaps I can agree a little here. :wink:
My choice of electric over ICE wasn't so much fuel costs, but for servicing, maintenance expenses and downtime inconveniences. I wasn't thrilled with the thought of frequent spark plug replacements, occasional head gaskets, other "mechanical issues", drive train repairs, ect. I even chose DD over mid-drive to reduce the expense of the latter as well as reduced brake servicing (regen). And while expensive "up front", my choices have been well rewarded with no additional costs or inconvenience (well outside the pennies for charging and a warranty replaced charger that kept me down for a couple weeks,... backups are good!). Even the "up front" costs of quality tires has been a blessing of reduced repair and replacements. yup,... I chose to scrimp and save to "load the costs, up front". Not easy on my fixed income budget, nor was it immediate.

I'm thinkin' most respondents are wage earners who commute, run errands, and seek weekend recreation. And todays wage earners in every class are grossly underpaid relative to the industrial days of the 50's-70's, when few were concerned of "up front costs" and looked forward to increasing income AND savings. But the gross suppression and stagnation of current and future income for todays/tomorrows wage earners has brought some HUGE social changes. Few can afford to save ANYTHING for future OR current needs. Like business, more and more seek to reduce immediate "costs",.... choosing cheaper imports over domestics, cars with greater mileage potential, "one-stop" shopping, and cheaper mail-order over local purchases. The need for lower immediate costs has contributed greatly to a "disposable" society, that has "warped" todays values of quality, durability and dependability. Todays autos cost relatively twice as much or more than that 50-70s era,.... yes, we get twice the miles (or more) of use from them, somewhat more dependable, less maintenance, don't last as long,... disposable rather than repairable,... and much like other purchases we consider today.

DRMousseau said:
Todays autos cost relatively twice as much or more than that 50-70s era,....
Not really. Average cost of a car in 1968 was around $23,000 (in 2016 dollars) - 2016 average cost was around $25,000.
yes, we get twice the miles (or more) of use from them, somewhat more dependable, less maintenance, don't last as long,
You get more miles from them and they don't last as long?

Cars as a whole have gotten more reliable. From better paints and coatings to prevent rust, to use of plastics and fiberglass in high rust areas, to computer controls that adjust engine settings automatically - cars don't require as much maintenance as they used to. Historically, average miles driven per car is going up and maintenance costs are going down.

bill von, while i agree cars have gotten better maintenance wise paint on new cars is super thin and chips/ scratches easily and i have noticed being a owner of a 2001 ford f-150 with no rust a lot of much newer ford and chevy pick-ups with considerable rust. just my 2 cents.

car-accidents1.jpg

slacker said:
bill von, while i agree cars have gotten better maintenance wise paint on new cars is super thin and chips/ scratches easily
My first car (inherited from father) was a silver 1973 Datsun 610. By the time I got it it had 100K miles on it and was gray and brown; the paint was falling off and it was rusting out. I did a lot of work on that car to fix the rust - then it was a gray, white and yellow car. Finally got it painted.

The last car that I got rid of was a 2006 Prius, also silver. After 180,000 miles on it it looked dingy but without a speck of rust. (Even where I scratched it up with poorly mounted bike racks.)

Back