CRG Hindsight mirror on an e-bike experiment

Bigbikebob

10 W
I think that the best policy riding side by side with cars on an e-bike is a "No special treatment" policy. For a really long time I was looking for a mirror for my e-bike so I wouldn't have to turn my head around every time I need to see what is behind me and lose track what is a head.

I tried couple of cheap handlebar mirrors off ebay and found them to be a medicare experience. They had bad Viewing angle and didn't stay in one place. Next I tried the "on helmet" small mirror It just wasn't comfortable for me.

So after spending some time searching, I came across a motorcycle brand mirror manufacture named CRG. The mirror is made out of aluminum and all the parts can be replaced if needed. From the reviews I read that it is a very stable once installed and has a wide angle view. The mirror isn't cheap and will cost about 60$ new. I ordered mine and got it in the mail a few days ago.
1.jpg
View attachment 2
View attachment 1

Out of the box you can feel the motorcycle grade quality. It is very robust and very well made. Gonna install it tomorrow and share some of the experience later.

I use motorcycle mirrors on mine, too. Since I don't have a place to screw them into for their threaded post mounts, I clamp them in place with ex-seatpost/saddle clamping hardware. Only posts with good pics of the mounting, both on "normal" bikes rather than what I ride now:
http://www.endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=40064&p=585394&hilit=seatpost+mirror#p585394
http://www.endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=15570&p=268272&hilit=seatpost+mirror#p268272

Mine have all been cheapies but goodies. The most recent was a goodwill find for a few bucks, earlier ones were salvaged off scrap bikes, except for one sent to me as "new" bits for my projects, still in it's package with a $10 price tag on it. Only two of them, off a scrapped Honda motorcycle, are wide-view (and are on my main ride, CrazyBike2), the rest are flat.

amberwolf,
Nice looking mirrors and mount. I always go for used good looking parts if I have the option.

What I love about the CRG Hindsight LS is that its small and bends to the side like car mirrors (the regular Hindsight doesn't bend) which will prevent it from breaking if hit from the side.

Plus once you find good "accessories" ( saddle, mirrors etc) you can always move them to your new ride without impacting the sell value of your old one.

A good mirror is worth it's weight in gold for sure.

I'm currently using a pair of cheaper mirrors from amazon. Better than nada for sure, but they need to be bigger. So far at least, they stay put. But I constantly bump them while the bike is parked, so I tend to have to adjust them every ride.

I don't like riding side by side with vehicles. I prefer passing them quickly and leaving them far behind ASAP If one tries at following close, I am warned soon enough hearing it loudly feeding the gasser and wearing rubber in my trail. 8)

Heard and said

- Are you hassled by the police with that bike ?
- I don't know, I have no mirrors. :twisted:

Bigbikebob said:
What I love about the CRG Hindsight LS is that its small and bends to the side like car mirrors (the regular Hindsight doesn't bend) which will prevent it from breaking if hit from the side.
As long as you don't clamp them too tightly, the seatpost clamp will also let them pivot in that situation. Mine stick out far enough to the side that I occasionally hit them on the doorway getting the bike in and out of the house, so if they didn't pivot I'd've broken them a long time ago. :)

Plus once you find good "accessories" ( saddle, mirrors etc) you can always move them to your new ride without impacting the sell value of your old one.
True...but mine don't have resale value except as scrap metal. ;) (and often enough, the old one becomes a new one (like Delta Tripper becoming SB Cruiser).

dogman dan said:
...But I constantly bump them while the bike is parked, so I tend to have to adjust them every ride.
Not an issue for my velo, but the other trikes for sure always get bumped (and readjusted) :lol:
The mirrors that came with my trikes and trike frames do a great job. I also use a rearview camera in my velo for night use because I dislike mirrored headlights.

True...but mine don't have resale value except as scrap metal. ;) (and often enough, the old one becomes a new one (like Delta Tripper becoming SB Cruiser).
My "problem" is my appetite :) I started from a 36V 10Ah 500W system based on a Dahon 20" bicycle moved to my current setup and pretty sure that my next bike will be a "raptor /vector" frame based.

That product seems very interesting! By the way
http://www.reevu.com/
Looks good. An overkill for an e-bike imo but I like the fact it's a 100% mechanical solution.

I mounted the mirror on the bike.
View attachment 4
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg
Did a short ride. So far so good. Will give it a few more days until I can formulate an opinion.

Made enough rides to form an opinion .
The mirror does the job. No adjustments needed after or during the ride. it stays solid in one place.It also has a great field of view.

Back