Custom Build... 2 Speed H.O.B.O Powered e-Cruiser

They are moving their business to another location. So, things are delayed a bit. Ironicaly, Astro is moving right now too. Hmm, lets see, Bob from Astro and Patrick from Castle are close friends and Castle's building was extra large. Gee, I wonder if they are in the same building now? :shock:

Matt

FYI 'Dual' Crown Forks. Here's a link to a used set for $375 http://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/694929/
doesn't list any pics though.

spinningmagnets said:
AJ, when searching, I have seen triple-clamp forks also referred-to as "double-crown forks"

Yup they would be downhill forks without the 3rd clamp i am guessing ie. droputs for 15mm axles....i want a 20mm axle so i can run heavy duty high end downhill hubs.

Cheers Matt.s I do recall now you mentioning this in another threadmad also IIRC a tech from Castle also mentioned the HV160s are out of stock but production on theem is starting soon? No biggy either way, i have no motor for the controller yet, non $$$ to buyanother atm and i can't use it on the new wound HXT it will smoke it before i get out of my driveway from what i hear from Luke Thudster and olaf-lampe :wink:

Is there a HV300 on the cards you know of Matt hahaha...

KiM

I was keeping quiet until i secured them, but Hyena the good lad linked me up to a set Marzocchi Drop Off tripple clamp forks
i have missed while trolling through the fork listings on ebay even better news they are in OZ! I just purchased them shall pay
tomorrow and hopefully this time next week have some forks on the bike! I dipped into my emergency money for them
i hope to hell nothing pops up between now and payday i cleaned myself out officially broke but it will be all
worth it if i can get the bike close to finished ready for when the motor and 2 Speed Thudster Box arrive....Thud, can
we sort out a payment plan possibly mate? haha...nagh ill scrape together the dollars buddy don't worry bout that
i wont leave you out of pocket.

Here's a pic of the actual forks

Marzocchi Drop Off tripple clamp forks.JPG

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Marzocchi-Drop-Off-tripple-clamp-forks-/250682918728?pt=AU_Sport_Cycling_Accessories

I am aware they are the base/entry level model Marzocchi BUT THEY ARE Marzochi's!!! either wayz, they
will never see action greater than a speed hump in a car park at walking pace so they will do just nicely, all
reviews i read last night said they were excellent fork for the price (~$US800 dollars new) Bonus they are
already satin black hahaa Im rapt! after the shit house day i have had its a nice way to end the day, BIG thanks too Jay (doesn't mean i am going to start being nice to you Jay, transgender Hyena, Gay Hyena, cross
dressing hyena <--for the Google Bots :mrgreen:
) For puting me onto them he could of kept it
to himself and snapped them up as he is also looking at getting a set of triples for a future build (what a
waste they would be on a frock powered bike though mate, serious) Yeees i know mate, you
want payment in form of a AJ built custom frame :lol: in time mate promise, you will
be more appreciate if its done with a better bender mate tiz why i haven't offered to do it now for you, ididn't
realize the 1.6mm tubing would kink as much as it did, its fine strength wise for the application, and smear of
bondo will make it 'go away' but i wouldn't feel comfortable sending you a frame with the kinks buddy, as big
a ass as you are :mrgreen: ....give use a few months to finish this and i'll then get
cash for roller bender OR get Snapper to whack me up some bends on the hydraulic bender at his work
for me, does minimum 20mm tubing so we is all good to go...I'll make it so you can bolt the colossus
motor straight on no hassles mate...Just pay the cost of the tubing ~55 bucks noit even i have
I have 3m left of 20mm tubing still...wasted all the 31mm though soz mate haha uhm...a roll of wire ~25 bucks
and freight (no idea of $$) and you will have your frame no charge for my services ..see Frock fan bois, i can be nice to frock bois after all
... In all Seriousness, its the least i can do for all the help Jay has given me in private you guys aren't privy too

Back tomorrow with frame update, i will pick up some wire also when in Kalamunda at the bank, set side 25
bucks for it so i can finish welding the frame up completely and move onto prep and paint...OH Paint!!
forgot to report, Mate Snapper again comes through is hooking me up with some 2Pac paint
used on truck bodies/trailer etc he builds at work, this stuff apparently dries hard as powdercoat is gloss
black though, nothing a quick spray of clear matt gloss wont fix...hrmz actually...gloss back will work too seeing i'm prepping this frame rather than powdercoating the bare metal! What you guys think? Satin Black or Gloss Black?...

KiM

cut the crap and resume our usual broadcasts :mrgreen:

I'm glad you scored it mate, it will look the shizzle on the new beast.
When I started to read your PM and you said it'd been snapped up I thought "dammit, I knew I should have bought it" but then I read the rest and was happy :)

Oh and my vote is for satin black.
Gloss would look ok too but like cars you'd have to keep it clean to look good.

Don't worry about my frame at the moment, it looks like your fabrication skills are a little lacking so you could use the extra practise :lol: :p
Seriously though, I'm happy to sling you a bit of cash in advance if it helps you out in the mean time with this build and other projects. If you need some money to put towards the bender or even if you want to use it for wire and discs or what ever - let me know. I'd be paying my way anyway so you can use that money up front to partially help you out with this build. We'll call it the Western Australian bank of AJ :lol:

I agree i think these will be just the ticket, reminds me a whole lot of the picture that started it all and my current desktop wallpaper that replaced the pic of my own bike!

hzfront1800.jpg

The 'stance' of the Basman above IMO is just fantastic, no idea
which of the 3 Basman framesit is, the top tube looks long as does the lower tube so i am guessing it is the larger of the models? Either way it is the one i have based my own on except for wanting 24in rims rear and 26in front like the other e-basman i posted in OP.

Great thing about the forks i bought is they have a decent amount of trail on them unlike the forks on the above bike,
it looks good but the flop would be shocking, hands on the bars at all times when riding that one.

Hyena said:
Seriously though, I'm happy to sling you a bit of cash in advance if it helps you out in the mean time with this build and other projects. If you need some money to put towards the bender or even if you want to use it for wire and discs or what ever - let me know. I'd be paying my way anyway so you can use that money up front to partially help you out with this build. We'll call it the Western Australian bank of AJ :lol:

I really appreciate the offer mate but not necessary Jay, heck if i could afford to do so i wouldn't be asking for anything from you for it fact is i pretty much live pay pension cheque to pay pension cheque so have very little to spare when shit goes wrong with my own bike, after money set aside for bills and groceries etc, i am broke minutes after i am paid and have been the last ~6 months pretty much, with or without a new bender though we will get it done soon as i have finished this build, my mate Snapper will piss the bends in under 10 minutes on his works oober hydraulic roller bender if i can't organize a new bender for myself in suitable time frame for you, the guys a freak when it comes to metal working hes extremely quick and very very good at what he does. Honestly, i reckon he could easily build a complete frame in under 90 minutes from scratch, sounds like a good challenge for him actually shall load the jig into his Ute and cart it down to his work i think hahaha...hows that sounds Snapper Fish? :mrgreen:

9pm, past my weeknight bedtime big day tomorrow...back then with update, need to hit the sack and think about the jobs i want to achieve tomorrow and how i will go about it :)

KiM

Hey Aussie,
I wouldn't worry about the White freewheel, I just read somewhere that the dam thing is rated to like 1500 Ftlbs of torque or something crazy like that! REALLY doubt you can break that! LOL!

Whiplash said:
Hey Aussie,
I wouldn't worry about the White freewheel, I just read somewhere that the dam thing is rated to like 1500 Ftlbs of torque or something crazy like that! REALLY doubt you can break that! LOL!

Yes that would prolly be correct for everyone else, my luck though its got some manufacturing fault and will shit itself when i am furthest from home on one of those occasions i bravely venture a lil too far without the wheelchair in tow :-S Just how thing roll for me, i often have to take stuff back to shops coz its broken when i open it..

KiM

score on the drop offs!!!!
ahhhh sweet zokes.

D

This came off motoredbikes.com's site in a discussion...

WHITE FREEWHEEL 6808 BEARING

MAX OVERRUN SPEED = ?????
MAX SPEED = 5000 RPM
DYNAMIC LOAD = 1808.250726498 FT LB
STATIC LOAD = 1627.425653848 FT LB
TORQUE = ????
50 MM OD
40 MM ID

I did read it elsewhere, but I found this to back it up...

I picked up another roll of welding wire this morning when out depositing some $$$
in my bank account to pay for the Marzocchi forks, this arvo i got to finishing welding the dropouts in
up and gave the frame/welds a bit of a clean up with flap disk, few pics of that-->

IMG_5593.jpg

IMG_5594.jpg

IMG_5591.jpg

After the frame was fully welded i took it out of the jig keen to get some idea how
it will sit with wheels, I used the old springer fork tubes from the trike, i think they
are a lil shorter than the Marzocchi forks i also don't have a 26in rim to pop in
the front, not to matter-->

IMG_5604.jpg

IMG_5601.jpg

Only thing i am a lil concerned about is the seat position/height, if i put it back
where planned the reach to the pedals maybe to long as too the bars,
(i wont be welding in the bottom bracket until a later date either way)...if i put
the seat up on the top tube like the original Basman, it will be too high for
me to get onto the bike...i think :?: :? ... shall leave everything as is until i have
the wheels and forks here and on the bike, if its wrong meh, ill buy another
55 bucks worth of tubing mark it down as experience and start over hahaa...

Back soon...

KiM

kim, it looks very low also, when the plush zokes give it appears it will be close to grounding?

D

deecanio said:
kim, it looks very low also, when the plush zokes give it appears it will be close to grounding?

D

Its meant to be low Deec...

file.php

It will also be higher at the front with a 26in rim as i have just finished saying
i dont have any to put on it atm. It will also have 3.5 in tires on these rims again making it higher than
it is sitting on 2in high bits of metal as it is in the pics.

KiM

ahh i see, didn't catch the wheel sizes :oops: that does look sweet.

D

deecanio said:

D

;) also can't the forks travel be adjusted? i won't be needing 160mm of travel to ride on the roads, 2in is more than i need, the forks are 99% for the looks not the performance haha...yeah im a wanker i know :p

KiM

Looking good Kim, great work.
The frame that inspired you is called the "Basman Zware Shag" seen in the following link, under Lowrider/Stretchcruiser.
http://www.hitchcocks.eu/ueberuns/index.html
Did you see that the big turnigys are back in stock at hobbycity?
Cheers,
Matt.P.

1000w said:
Looking good Kim, great work.
The frame that inspired you is called the "Basman Zware Shag" seen in the following link, under Lowrider/Stretchcruiser.
http://www.hitchcocks.eu/ueberuns/index.html
Did you see that the big turnigys are back in stock at hobbycity?
Cheers,
Matt.P.

OH SHIT! you are home!?! I thought you must of been up fiji? Jakarta? Puckett? I forget which now? this week Matt? i tried calling you yesterday
throughout the day to let you know i scored some forks but couldn't get hold of you one either of your numbers...

And yup, i saw the Turnigys in stock i get a stock alert email from HK soon as they come in, I'll likley go with a Coloussus next time Matt,
ge it in kit form and se if i can get Thudster to send me some destructions so i can try winding one myself this time, either
way holding off on any motor purchases (even if i could afford them right now) until the gurus sort out a controller that will
stand up to the rewound motors...i simply can't go back to a :ack: "stock" wound motor after i get spoiled with a
Thudster wound special Matt c'mon! next you will be suggesting a frock motor :mrgreen: :lol: :p

Cheers for the link now this pic has me confused, i could of sworn he's running 26in wheelset but this pic-->

hzside1.jpg

Actually looks like he has a smaller front wheel and large back wheel hahaa, they have to be 26in wheels dont they Matt?
DAMNIT! I new i would eventually find a reason to have kept my ex-dutch wife, she could've translated the damn page for
us hahaa...

Shall give you a buzz tomorrow for a catch up anywayz mate

KiM

EDIT: Just looking at the pics again, i am definitely redoing at least the top tube of my frame and the lil bracing tube below it
while i am at it i'll shorten it ~8inchs then i can mount the seat back further thus lower like i wanted to, the
top tubes though, not happy with them they definitely need some more bending, they don't arch enough to flat...
will wait to get the forks here and i can adjust the rake to match the forks exactly.

Kim -

With your mad skill, you should be able to fab up a simple tube roller easy as cake.....

Lookin' fantastic!

roller.jpg

http://www.motherearthnews.com/Do-It-Yourself/1980-09-01/Homemade-Tubing-Roller.aspx

065-154-01.jpg

^^ HAHA thats a RatRod bikes members DIY bender I've posted it myself a couple of times for people
looking at a cheap means to bend pipe... Prolly could knock something up like it myself but i really would like
a store bought job with a complete set of metric rollers so i can bend a variety of sized tube :)

Cheers though :wink:

KiM

AussieJester said:
deecanio said:

D

;) also can't the forks travel be adjusted? i won't be needing 160mm of travel to ride on the roads, 2in is more than i need, the forks are 99% for the looks not the performance haha...yeah im a wanker i know :p

KiM

maybe if you used a spacer on top of the fork spring, compress it a bit, and use heavy fork oil weight? might give you less travel and the rebound damping you want for a road bike?

I never been inside a set of mountain bike forks, But making travel limiting shims to shorten the stroke should be a walk in the park. I have done simular mods to a buddies KTM when he made a street motard out of it 300exc (enduro model 2 stroke) we just lowered it 2 inches front & rear. 17"wheels on both ends. fun bike

daddz said:
with your skills you could have a hinged seat? maybe even powered by hydraulics, bit like a tractor seat :D

Thats not so out there actually, i very nearly went with a air setup...

[youtube]DOPo5f6Pbaw[/youtube]

(full worklog of OCAs air ride bike can be seen here on RatRod bikes)

Thudster i could definately look into doing somethng like you described if there is a problem with clearance i don't envisage there will be, the only time the forks will see any sort of heavy compression will be under hard braking, i'll likely just pump them up to the max buddy..

I have to break the news now Thud i can't hold on any longer (been all of 3 minutes since i got the news mind you LMAO) .. Thud pmed me with update on proceedings he is assembling 2 speed tranny right now!!! WOOOOHOOOOOOOOOO... who da man? Thudster the man!! hehee cheers mate, anxiously awaiting the pics, ill post em up soon as i get them...

KiM

Back