Custom Build... 2 Speed H.O.B.O Powered e-Cruiser

hey c'mon aj slow down a bit. i was hoping to read about this build for a few months at least. the way your going it will be finished and over before i am awake :wink: here i am 3 weeks into my trike trailer and its still just a pile of junk in the back yard :( but i will find some wheels soon then i can do some more :roll:

You know, harbor freight has one for like 150 bucks that will do anything you want! Great little tool really, I would like to get one myself. It will do up to 2" tube!

Whiplash said:
You know, harbor freight has one for like 150 bucks that will do anything you want! Great little tool really, I would like to get one myself. It will do up to 2" tube!

Yes i am aware of the harbor freight (HF) bender, have been told its utter crap too by several memebers who have them on RatRod Bikes,
HF is also in USA so freight would be ridiculous i think.

daddz said:
hey c'mon aj slow down a bit. i was hoping to read about this build for a few months at least.

HAHA...well unfortunately it will slow down..actually has already...i ran out
of welding wire went and bought a new roll, different brand and its absolute rubbish as in
i can't use it at all its like its not for gasless welding, whether its a bad batch or just outright shit
wire i dunno, but it is crap... so pissed as i have the frame 95% welded now, the front half is
fully welded and half of the chain stays.

My oldest and best friend dropped in this morning while i was bending the final chainstay,
"Snapper" is a motor body builder and has been for 20 years...he welded my tacked frame up in
under 10 minutes, he would of finished the entire job if not for the wire running out, he was a machine haha...
I should have a new frame to show... as is...still need to weld a few spots on the ass end...

Snapper also bought me up the 3mm steel plate top for my new bench! check this out-->

IMG_5563.jpg

Nice coat of primer stops spatter sticking, i simply brushed it off when all the welding was done.

IMG_5562.jpg

OK...few pics of the mornings proceedings-->

IMG_5574.jpg

IMG_5575.jpg

Dropouts will be slightly trimmed along visible pen line (seen in first pic more clearly) ...

IMG_5572.jpg

IMG_5576.jpg

Have allowed lots of room for chains and BiG wide mofo tires :lol:

Have a few random pics of the welding, required very little grinding, Snapper
insisted hitting them all with flap disk when he had finished though, using the anti
spatter spray it was very little clean up time.

IMG_5579.jpg

IMG_5567.jpg

Couple of side on pics...

IMG_5570.jpg

Mocked up with a couple of old rims to have a looksee at how shes comin' alongz

IMG_5582.jpg

I had my eyez on a set of Boxer 2004 triple clamp forks on EBay but someone snapped them up for buy now
price last night.. :: sigh :: also...I was curious what are the longest downhill fork available
would i be right in assuming 35cm stanchions are up there amongst the longest aside from some of the newer
$2k forks... I will be needing the longest i can find anywayz...

Think that's it for now...need to wait till i can afford some more wire to replace the garbage i bought
and no, i can't take it back. That will be Thursday unless circumstances unexpectedly change..
First and last time i buy cheap wire over CIG wire i been using for years trouble free.

Back when i have more..

KiM

...about bending tubes:
In my early days I learned, you have to fill the tube with sand to bend them? But that was, when they heated up the pipe until it was red hot.

Try it out, before you spend money for a new bender. :)
-Olaf
PS: I'd like to flood you with compliments for your professional work, but for now I'm a bit disappointed that you copy another guys frame...you can do better!

olaf-lampe said:
...about bending tubes:
In my early days I learned, you have to fill the tube with sand to bend them? But that was, when they heated up the pipe until it was red hot.

Try it out, before you spend money for a new bender. :)
-Olaf
PS: I'd like to flood you with compliments for your professional work, but for now I'm a bit disappointed that you copy another guys frame...you can do better!

I was just about to inform Kim of the sand bending technique but been beaten to it :wink:
If you do use the sand bending technique use fine sand and pack it in tight.

By the looks of things Olaf I think were a bit late in telling Kim how to bend pipe - he's almost got the bike finished :mrgreen:

Regards
Tom

Kim,

I have a spare brand new wide rear hub from US Choppers. They sent a second one to me for free after a botched order. It isn't a disc hub, but I don't have much use for it. If you can use it, let me know you can have it for shipping, which should be less than from the States.

Clay

Hey kim,
since you can't return the flux core wire, try stripping the 1st 8 meters of wire off the spool. see if you get to some good stuff, the next attemp at salvidge would be bakeing the spool in the oven (400f) for an hour to drive out any mosture in the flux. theres a 50/50 chance it may work.(unless you already did all this)

looks like i better get my BUTT in gear & get a power package turned around. I have no doubt this Bike will be your new favorite once you start blasting around town on it.
Catch you latter T

Getting tired of hearing the sand suggestion i have to say, someones suggested it once or twice every worklog i have made on this site.... i tried it on my first frame....2 years ago. The bender IS NOT SUITABLE for thin walled tubing.

flyinmonkie thanks but i don't need a ChoppersUS hub not using them going with some quality items this time not cheap heavy rubbish.

Yeah i shall give it a shot Thud, i doubt it will make a difference unfortunately, its welding like its not flux core wire spits and sputters and ends in a big glob you can just about flick off with your finger, i am thinking the spool has been incorrectly labeled. I am certain it will be a new favorite, 15-20kilo lighter, shorter, haha more power and two speeds...yup...i think its safe to say its going to flog
:: waaaaaaaaaaaa:: CLUNK ::WAAAAAAAAAAA:: hehehe...

KiM

Does it leave little porosity tracks in the weld along with splattering? Or just splatter like a mofo but leave ugly globs of steel with no tiny tracks of holes in the bead?

If it leaves little tracks of tiny holes, it's (likely) flux core with wet flux. Before you put it in the oven, make sure the tip is snipped off rather than left in a little sealed ball from just welding, or it doesn't dry well.

If you've got good eyes, snip a clean cut on the end and look, it should have a tiny barely visible hole down the center looking like this:

flux_core_30x.jpg

If it's solid core, about the only thing it's good for is doing exhaust on zinc'd up thin tubing (which it actually works really well for, though it splatters like a mofo).

I run flux core with the CO2 volume cranked up, and set my cup about 1cm past the stinger when I'm trying to do pretty welds with MIG on thin-ish tubing, and it works pretty well.

jester, I can't believe that you are using gasless wire for frame building! here I have been stressing over that I don't have a co2 tank for my mig yet and all I have is flux core. I must say that when reworking my controller enclosure I noticed that the gasless was not as bad as everyone had made it out to be. now I have to decide if I want to go ahead with the tank buy or just go ahead and buy a tube bender first.

rockin ass build by the way, but I expected nothing less.

No dude, gas-less wire works great for any steel-based frame. It's cheap and simple, and I believe it will weld on chromo, basic steel, and most HSLA (high strength low alloy) steels. I don't know if it's available for stainless, but a Lincoln source I ran across says you can use some of the innershield products to weld stainless together...but I wouldn't expect the same corrosion resistance in the weld zones afterward.

Although AJ doesn't have to worry about it, he's got powder coating! :D Thinking of going with this color scheme this time mate?

pink-chopper-largethumb7636894.jpg

:lol:

Aussie that is truly artwork, you have an eye for curves.
If you're still looking for forks, you might think about this...CR80 Forks 001.jpg
These are from a 2002 Honda CR80 Expert. Honda actually used these on a DH bike
they built, I think it was called RN01. They adapt easily to bikes and
come out being only a few pounds heavier.CR80 Forks 002.jpg
Custom machined steerer tube. I have two sets of these forks.

was indeed the NR01, which i sadly found are not for sale, shame sweet intergrate gearbox too.

D

liveforphysics said:
Does it leave little porosity tracks in the weld along with splattering?
Or just splatter like a mofo but leave ugly globs of steel with no tiny tracks of holes in the bead?

Luke..ma main man :wink: i took a pic of a weld i did on a scrap piece of 1.6mm walled
tubing for you to checkout the first blobs is with the welder set at what it was when Snapper
welded the frame up, the second setting is what i would use to weld 5mm thick plate, hence
the big hole tried the high setting just to see what it did, it just pops and spits on correct setting
for this size wire, like when trying to weld with too fast a wire setting and too low heat (hence we
tried the high setting) as you can see almost zero penetration just a big glob of a weld, without
doubt the worst weld i have ever done... I am not as 'pro' as a couple of my mates when it comes
to welding but i can lay down a decent looking weld, i believe i have shown enough here with my
builds to support that claim, it's this wire, it's just complete rubbish! My other metal fabricator buddy
Flavio was here in the arvo, he's a boilermaker welder with also ~20 years on the job experience couldn't
do any better with this wire when i asked him to try it...

I shall try the oven today however, but unless it is at least on a par with the CIG wire welds it will be binned.

gestalt said:
jester, I can't believe that you are using gasless wire for frame building!

Yup, have used it for all my frames, if you know how to weld gassless works fine IMHO, however
i would recommend (if you can afford to) a gas setup, gives you the option to weld
non ferrous metals, IMO too, you can get a 'prettier' flowing weld with gas setup easier
than with the gassless, just my opinion here. . If you stick with gassless though i strongly
urge you to get some anti spatter spray and/ or, heres a tip i found out only yesterday!...instead
of paying mega bucks (or geting a mate to thieve it from their work :lol: ) you can use normal
cooking oil as anti spatter agent, the stuff in an aerosol can you spray on your fry pan before cooking
cost 1/4 the price too and doesn't stink when you weld over it haha... Cheers for the support. :wink:

dequinox said:
Although AJ doesn't have to worry about it, he's got powder coating! :D Thinking of going with
this color scheme this time mate?

pink-chopper-largethumb7636894.jpg

HAHAA you been talkin with "J.J" my Costa Riccian pal haven't you :mrgreen: he seems
to think I like girlie colours for some reason :?: i'm starting to think its him who actually
likes these colours seeing he always has a dig at me suggesting i use them :eek:
...painting the last bike blue was a bold enough move for me, i'm more than happy with any
shade of black :mrgreen:

Seriousknot said:
Aussie that is truly artwork, you have an eye for curves.
If you're still looking for forks, you might think about this...View attachment 2
come out being only a few pounds heavier.View attachment 1
Custom machined steerer tube. I have two sets of these forks.

My big brother has been desperately trying to find some triple clamp forks, was just
last Sunday i said to him some have used Honda CR80 forks on their bikes! I
have also considered it myself and haven't totally discounted it, whats stopping
me going their payday and snapping up a pair is the head tube, i am not about
to alter this 1 1/8 head tube that i have cut from a frame Matt.P gave to me, can't
do that ..period. Only option would be to chop the headset out, set it aside for next bike
and butcher one of the dozen older style headsets i have here. It would be a very very
last option if i can't get a set of older model Boxer (or similar) for 300-400 bucks though...
I have to watch the $$ I still need to pay for the parts Thudsters using to build the box and
bearings and wire for the motor rewind too... Thankyou for the suggestion though Seriousknot,
it is a very good one IMHO and good to bring to light so others unaware of the cr80 fork situation
might take advantage of this option .... Curiously, would you be interested in selling one of your sets of CR80
forks? IF so what sort of money we talking?

I received some GREAT news from Todd this morning
he has the wire and wind calculations done and the stator rewound with 14AWG
i think thats correct ?-->

P8140004.JPG

and in comparison to the stock job wound HXT stator

P8140007.JPG

This is seriously larger wire than stock, it has 6 & a 1/2 turns will give a higher kv than the stock motor
with ~double the torque! Looking in the vicinity of 180kv up from 130kv i have been told...I have the words of
my electronics genius and number 1'got-to-guy' on anything electrical or how to handle the wiminez :mrgreen:
Luke, ringing in my ears still, go with the highest kv you can get away with...I had planned on buying a 180kv Turnigy
now i have one!! hand wound with mofo size wire with quality bearings and a hardened steel
shaft!! Thudster da man!! It will be run on a DY NO MOM METER<--i get that right Thud haha
Yes lads, we is getting very serious about building a 100% reliable frock eating rc motored bike
this time round. As i said to Thudster, the sound of this baby running WOT @ 11000rpm on 66v setup
will be music to my ears! .....waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa :: clunk:: WAAAAAAAAAAAAAA :mrgreen:

Anyone wishing to follow the rewind and dynoing of my HXT Turnigy can do so on this thread Thudster started ;)

Too put Thuds work into perspective and what has been achieved i think Luke summed it uo best with this post

"For the folks that don't fully appreciate the significance of what Sir Thudly has done here, he has just turned the power capability of that motor into the power capability of two motors.

That single big HXT motor is equal to, or more powerful than the pair of big HXT motors I run on my bike.

(Which is precisely why I MUST rewind both of mine now. :twisted: :twisted: Maybe shoot for 260kv with double copper on each motor. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: )
"

Wonder how confident J.J is feeling now about that 400meter run? '

Thanks for the kind words of support fellas much appreciated, shall be back with more
soon, i am tryng to think of something i can do that doesn't involve welding, i think i will checkout
Thudst CAD drawings for the 2 Speed Thudster Box and then design up a nice mounting bracket
for the seat tube.

KiM

I would like to get $250 US for one set of CR80 forks with triple tree and axle.

Seriousknot said:
come out being only a few pounds heavier.
Interesting... those look smaller (and lighter) than the ones I have:
http://electricle.blogspot.com/2009/06/forks-sporks-springs-dorks.html
which I don't know if I could adapt to a bike? (theyr'e around 25lbs, I think):
1Honda750ForkTop1.JPG
5Honda750ForkSteeringEnd2.JPG

(sorry for the OT in your thread, AJ)

I just got off the phone to my brother haha he was at the wreckers i mentioned above
on Saturday and bought some forks haha he is coming up to pick up more parts for his
49 and 66cc motors i have on the way from ZBox for him so i shall picture these on my frame
when they get here, they cost him 150 bucks...again though, just to be clear i will be buying
MTB forks for this build for above aforementioned reasons.

KiM

No worries about the hub Kim, I know what you are saying. With the power of your motor now you'll need as strong as you can get everywhere on the bike.

Looking forward to seeing come together and smoke some tires.

Clay

flyinmonkie said:
No worries about the hub Kim, I know what you are saying. With the power of your motor now you'll need as strong as you can get everywhere on the bike.

Clay

True that :!: ...i wonder if i can be the first to snap a White Industries ENO hahaa aaaagh...shit i hope not... :lol:

KiM

in this day and age just about everything, except brand new technology is a copy of something else in some way, shape or form. how else would we improve things if we didnt?

aj, have you spotted these 165mm of travel, i dont know much about these bike shocks but if they are like motor bike forks you could play with the springs and oils to get it set up right? $300 starting bid. i was also wondering if a set of forks of an old mini bike like the xr80 with longer staunchons( right word?) would be any good
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/2008-Rock-Sh...10&pmod=200506741259%2B200506741259&po=&ps=63

Can read previous page for my comments about sand matey, been there done that doesn't work with these sort of benders they simply aren't designed for thin walled tubing.

Thankyou for the link to the forks also but they aren't exactly what i am chasing, i am after a set of
what are called tripple clamp forks-->

18548.jpg

So called because of the 3 "clamps" ie. the upper and lower crowns that clamp to the stanchions
and the third clamp on the bottom of the fork that clamps to the 20mm axle.

Cheers though for the thought appreciate the input...

KiM

yeh cool, sorry bout the edit on my previous post, for those who missed it was agreeing with the first post i seen about sand bending, maybe i should read the whole thread before commenting next time. :oops:
as for the forks, i was chasing some wheels yestie and seen a set similar to those in a gold anodized colour i think, bit ratty looking but i might be able to make an offer on your behalf next time i see him? i also know of 2 junk bike collections, maybe 40 or more bikes that i could have a look at, i need to be in that area wednesday so i will check them out, and let ya know with pics if i find something

AussieJester said:
flyinmonkie said:

Clay

True that :!: ...i wonder if i can be the first to snap a White Industries ENO hahaa aaaagh...shit i hope not... :lol:

KiM

Not a chance. I pulled 35kw through one without failure (not sure what the Nm torque was, though).

Matt

recumpence said:
AussieJester said:
flyinmonkie said:

Clay

KiM

Not a chance. I pulled 35kw through one without failure (not sure what the Nm torque was, though).

Matt

But your rear wheels ignite into plumes of smoke Matt :lol: , mine don't has to put more strain on it, an you seen what Thudster has done to my motor Matt, turned it into a hv160 smoking monster hahaha...

Speaking of HV160's i haven't heard back from Castle Creations yet Matt, emailed tech support 2 days ago to see if the esc made it there ok but haven't gotten a reply and the "$US135" i have been keeping in my account for payment is also untouched...

KiM

Back