Custom Build... 2 Speed H.O.B.O Powered e-Cruiser

LOL, It must have, because I am sure that is what they put in those bottles. I struggle to drink it when it's free. But, hey free beer is free beer and after a hot day in the shop anything cold and wet.

Clay

Hey KiM

Nice job on figuring out how to mount both the disk brake and chainring. How much clearance do your brakes require on the back side? Mine all look like they need about 3/4" (2cm). Also, is that a 160mm brake disk or a 180 mm? I'd like to get a disk brake on the back of my rig too.

Thanks, Warren.

www.recumbents.com said:
How much clearance do your brakes require on the back side?

Enough so it doesn't hit the chain ring and chain :mrgreen: seriously, the Hope Mono caliper when mounted is ~16mm
on the back side, i have ~21mm clearance now...give or take .25mm, your 2cm estimate is on the money ;)

www.recumbents.com said:
Mine all look like they need about 3/4" (2cm). Also, is that a 160mm brake disk or a 180 mm? I'd like to get a disk brake on the back of my rig too.

Its a 180mm rotor on the back 203mm on the front ;) The only trouble you will likely have is getting the clearance
between rotor and chain/seat stays, i have less than 5mm clearance, it fits, but its tight. I initially thought i would have
to notch and plate the inner side of the seat and chain stays to get rotor clearance, thankfully a lil 'love' with a threaded
rod and a couple of nuts stretched the chain/seat stays apart just that lil bit to get the necessary room...all fits nicely.

KiM

AussieJester said:
the Hope Mono caliper when mounted is ~16mm on the back side,
We need to make a database with the width of different calipers so people know what will and won't fit their builds.
I know with my new 9C frock motors there's only ~18mm clearance to the motor side plates so a 16mm caliper is about the widest you could run.

Good to see progress mate - roll on the maiden voyage!

Went to order lipo from HK of course out of stock of the Zippys i was going to order, bit of a
win them being out of stock as HobbyKings Australian warehouse had stock of Turnigy 6s 5000mah 20-30c
Same as i have in the cruiser, $483 delivered for 8 packs Have also ordered one of the
new Hyperion 14s chargers from our Mr GGoodrum So as not to leave
my bank account totally depleted i shall order the remaining 4 packs next pay day along with the
rest of the bits and pieces needed i.e wire, connectors servo, carbon fiber sheet etc etc the Aussie
warehouse doesn't stock any of the latter items so it will be an order from the international HK store...
Anywayz... we have the first packs of lipo on the way, be interesting to see the time it takes to get
from one side of OZ to the other as opposed to the fast delivery i get from the overseas store.

Frame related news, drilled the holes for the actuator mount and welded the
reinforcement plates on, need to drill 3 holes for routing wiring through the frame and then frame
is complete and ready for prep and paint!! The actual stabilizer support system is yet to be fabricated
a job for this afternoon along with the wheelchair tow hitch assembly, when done, this will complete
all the steel fabrication side of this build! Getting closer gents....

more soon...

KiM

hay kim i have a sip gas-less mig hear with a busted hand piece i'll drop off to you next week i don't use it prefer my arc

Was working on the stabilizer bars this morning, got the bending
done went to weld some cut-n-shut type angles when the wire
feed gearing finally lost enough teeth to stop it working altogether

MiG_Wire_feed_reduction_Gears.jpg

I envisage a large delay in proceedings as a result... the MiG has
done well was hoping it would hold on long enough to finish this build
its a no name brand from ebay so replacement parts aren't going to
happen :cry: ....time for a TiG.

KiM

Wow what can I say that hasn't been said already. Looks terrific, it has taken me weeks to catch up on everything using the library computers I can't wait to get my connection setup so I can get a regular fix of admiring your work. Once or twice a week doesn't cut it for me.

AussieJester said:
the MiG has done well was hoping it would hold on long enough to finish this build
its a no name brand from ebay so replacement parts aren't going to happen :cry:
Bah, I've seen you fabricate more intricate things - out with the scrap aluminium and make up some replacements :mrgreen:

Got any office-desktop copiers, laser printers, all-in-one inkjet printers, or similar things laying around to scrap out? If so, most of them use small plastic gears for paper feed mechanisms and roller drive inside the paper path. Lots of times they have qutie a few, and there may be the right ones to replace those gears.

Worth a shot, at least. Even if they are not the right teeth to fit the existing ones, perhaps there are enough meshing ones to fit in there and do the feed job needed.

Alternately, they might have ones large enough in diameter to cut down to the right diameter, then file teeth in (using existing gears as a guide, rotating a partial turn to use other teeth to make up for the missing ones).

You could just make them from scratch with steel or aluminum, but I'd look for printer gears first, just to see if it could be done. :)

Hyena said:
AussieJester said:
the MiG has done well was hoping it would hold on long enough to finish this build
Bah, I've seen you fabricate more intricate things - out with the scrap aluminium and make up some replacements :mrgreen:

haha not this time im afraid high side, i did think of making some from epoxy resin to see me through this build, but
the teeth size is just way small and making any mold with success with tools i have available wouldn't work.

@AW yup same thoughts buddy, i happened to have 2 trashed printers one with built in scanner, went through
them last night all to no avail.

Until i can aford another welder the builds on hold im afraid, i can't finish the stabilizers arms without one.
I been thinking about the next welder and decided against TIG, its just too expensive for me to consider
as i want the ability to weld alloy and steel and thus an AC/DC TiG is needed, even a cheapy is over a grand
i can do aluminium with a MiG setup using argon gas so a slightly higher end MiG setup than i have been using will
be what i'll get...in a few months when i have the $$'s Meantime i'll polish some alloy and twiddle my thumbs alot LoL..

KiM

AussieJester said:
Hyena said:
AussieJester said:

haha not this time im afraid high side, i did think of making some from epoxy resin to see me through this build, but
the teeth size is just way small and making any mold with success with tools i have available wouldn't work.

@AW yup same thoughts buddy, i happened to have 2 trashed printers one with built in scanner, went through

Until i can aford another welder the builds on hold im afraid, i can't finish the stabilizers arms without one.
I been thinking about the next welder and decided against TIG, its just too expensive for me to consider
as i want the ability to weld alloy and steel and thus an AC/DC TiG is needed, even a cheapy is over a grand
i can do aluminium with a MiG setup using argon gas so a slightly higher end MiG setup than i have been using will
be what i'll get...in a few months when i have the $$'s Meantime i'll polish some alloy and twiddle my thumbs alot LoL..

KiM
KiM, is the whole welder rooted or can you get spares? I'm willing to contribute towards a fix either way - call it a "tuition" fee for improving the quality of e-bikes made world-wide :wink:
An alternative is to get a local welder to do it for you, but of course that depends on how much is required. Timma perhaps?

Let us know mate!

Cheers,
GT

Hey Kim,
I'll bring my mig up to your place and you can use it for a week or two to finish this frame.
I think for the mental health of the ES community we need you to continue working on this build.
Cheers,
Matt.P.

AussieJester said:
Well, I have boxes of parts from various such printers, so if you can get me a pic of the inside of that gearbox with a ruler or something next to the gears (or measurements of them), then I can see if any of them would work. Might take a few days to be able to start looking, as I keep getting asked to work on what would ahve been my days off (and there is never enough time in a day anyway).

gtadmin said:
KiM, is the whole welder rooted or can you get spares? I'm willing to contribute towards a fix either way - call it a "tuition" fee for improving the quality of e-bikes made world-wide :wink:
An alternative is to get a local welder to do it for you, but of course that depends on how much is required. Timma perhaps?

Well...the hand piece is on its last legs i have fixed the switch a few times now it really needs a new liner at
least the tensioner on the wire feed is completely broken and as the pics show there are two gears with
broken teeth, electrcily it seems okay, it has done me well for a 170 dollar (delivered) welder building me 4
(nearly) ebikes plus a handful of other odd jobs, unfortunately being a cheap 'no-name' brand the parts aren't available
to fix it, i knew it was a gamble going in, i think i got more than my moneys worth from it. I thankyou for
your generous offer also to help fund the fixing of welder but yes, shes pretty well done im afraid. Paul
I know would happily do it, but he is also in the early stages setting up his new frame building business, i don't want
to distract or take time away from this, its also a job that needs to be done here as there is fabrication
still required not just a couple of welds also, Paul's welder is 3 phase, i don't have 3 phase power here. I have some good news however-->

1000w said:
Hey Kim,
I'll bring my mig up to your place and you can use it for a week or two to finish this frame.
I think for the mental health of the ES community we need you to continue working on this build.
Cheers,
Matt.P.

I appreciate the offer Matt very much, members don't know how big of an offer that is, i have seen Matts welder its not a cheap
job like mine it has all the bells and whistles.... I have however, just got off the phone to my step brother
whom i haven't spoken fto for 8 months, yes we are a close family, last we spoke it was him asking me to
order him a new 66cc motor for his bicycle and help fit it up, figured, his time to come to my rescue haha
he has agreed to lend me his CIG MiG welder and is dropping it up first light tomorrow. Thanks again though
Matt for the generous offer...

@ Kepler... Agreed, the generosity of members here is overwhelming at times, i have met some fantastic
people i will be friends with for life, thanks to this forum..

Thanks again fellas for the advice and support, i should be back with finished stabilizers tomorrow
if all goes well...

KiM

GT said:
KiM, is the whole welder rooted or can you get spares? I'm willing to contribute towards a fix either way - call it a "tuition" fee for improving the quality of e-bikes made world-wide
Offer still stands mate.

My welder is a CIGweld TransMIG 135, is your close brother's similar? Glad you got it sorted short term anyway

Cheers,
GT

gtadmin said:
GT said:
KiM, is the whole welder rooted or can you get spares? I'm willing to contribute towards a fix either way - call it a "tuition" fee for improving the quality of e-bikes made world-wide
Offer still stands mate.

My welder is a CIGweld TransMIG 135, is your close brother's similar? Glad you got it sorted short term anyway

Cheers,
GT

The parts would be a few bucks buddy, simply can't buy them anywhere thats the problem...
I wont need a welder for awhile after this is done, i will have time to save for a new job
then no probs at all, appreciate the offer however, but will be good to go ;)

My estranged bro haha has the CIG 165 welder i have used it before its like Ferrari compared
to mine, extremely easy to weld with compared to my thing, consistent wire feed and
steady supply of power make for sweet sweet welds without trying too hard.

cheers

KiM

Yesterday for us Aussies was Australia day
its a public holiday and a pretty big day here for us Aussies, officially it's the anniversary of the
arrival of the first fleet of 11 convict ships from "The Motherland" in 1788...Today
it's a celebration of Australia and being Australian... and of course another excuse to get pissed :mrgreen:

A Few of the mates made an early trek south to Mandurah, waded around in waist deep
water for an hour with scoop nets and picked up 34 blue manna crabs
on the way back they also grabbed some prawns, after all what would Australia Day be
without prawns on the bar-b-q right! :mrgreen: too keep the prawns company we threw on some scallops to....
then coated them with a nice chilli marinade :: mouths starting to water ...again...:: :lol:

Australia_day_2011_crabs.jpg

I almost feel sorry for you member's under 3 foot of snow....almost but not quite :mrgreen: :p

A little belated but to all Australians Happy Australia day i hope you had a terrific day
and the hangovers ain't too serious :p Personally I think it should be a two day public holiday
one to celebrate one to recover, but thats just me ;-P anywayz moving on.....

My dear brother was up at 5.20am yesterday morning dropping his welder off for me
I have it till Saturday so need all welding done on the frame by then.

SO...Before i got the invite to the barby i managed to get a good start on the stabilizer
setup for the bike. I want a lighter system than on the cruiser, bere in mind this is a stabilizer
to aid in keeping the bike upright for transferring from wheelchair to bike & assist my
wobbly legs to hold the bike up when stationary. I have more than adequate leg
strength to hold up a bike, i don't have very good control, this is what the stabilizers will help with
this they don't need to be incredibly strong, as such i have opted for a single length
of 16mm solid steel bar for the stabilizer arms.

Stablilizer_series_pics_1.jpg

4mm steel plate is being used at the ends of these stabilizers to hold wheels that i am fabricating
from polyethylene, don't worry they wont stay white either, rit dye on the stove simmering
for 30-40minutes dyes the poly reasonably well, they will be black.

Having been "interrupted" by the whole Australia Day bar-b-q this is as far as i got, thankfully i
was able to limit myself to a six pack of beer i was ever wary of going to hard and be laid up with a hangover for 2 days
remembering the welder is mine only to Saturday....shall be back with completed
bars or close too it by days end...

hrmz..have 8 crabs i bought home, going to be a lovely crab and salad roll for Lunch
while soaking up the 33c forecast temps...hoes that snow doing for you fellas in the
"The Motherland" the USofA and Cunook land .. :mrgreen:

Back soon folkz...

KiM

!!!THHWWAACKKK!!!!!

you have just been struck with a snow-ball.......squarly in the throught......

looks like a lovely get-together & freash seafood. very nice! (FLIPS KIM THE BIRD IN TOTAL JELLOUSY)
Oh & i like the prawn tail wheel mounts on the stabilizer.
we also enjoyed a balmy 30deg today :mrgreen:

EDIT:(edit to flip Goodrum the BIRD also LOL)

Oh, man, I've had those crabs before. They are very similar to Maryland blue crabs, which are about as good as it gets. The body meat is tender, and very sweet. I'll bet that was quite a meal! 8) I'm jealous. :)

Your mad skills continue to impress. :wink: I hope it doesn't get too hot that you can't keep at it. I know it is still winter in most of the US, but here it is actually quite pleasant. It's about 79F, or about 26C, and clear/sunny. :roll:

-- Gary

The trick of going to parties my friend, is to leave with equal-to or less-than the number of crabs you arrived with. ;)

But in this case, those little guys look so damn good I would make an exception. :)

I think good crab is perhaps my absolute favorite meat. A nice thick fatty rib-eye cooked rare comes pretty close though. :) Now that I'm drooling, I think I will have that for dinner tonight. :)

-Luke

Thud said:
i like the prawn tail wheel mounts on the stabilizer

I thought they looked like little coffins, which is nicely appropriate. haha

liveforphysics said:
The trick of going to parties my friend, is to leave with equal-to or less-than the number of crabs you arrived with. ;)

I see what you did there :lol:

I had a good Aussie day, BBQ and a few beers with mates before coming home for a swim in the pool while the missus mowed the lawn. Have I got her well trained or what! :lol:

Back