Cycle Analyst 2.3 Speedometer Glitching

DotScott

1 W
Hey everyone,

I have a Cycle Analyst 2.3 connected to my ebike build but I noticed today that when I start to get up to higher speeds (might also be at lower speeds but I haven't noticed it at lower speeds yet - try to keep my eyes on the road), the speedometer reading fluctuates wildly. It'll jump from 45 to 70 and then down to 52 then 64 all within a split second. Anyone have any idea what the problem might be? I'm sure I just have a setting off somewhere or something but... I can't tell where.

Here's my setup, controller settings and and Cycle Analyst settings:

SETUP:
- Controller: Sabvoton SVMC 96120
- Battery: 86v (~72v min and 97v max). I currently have it limited to 50 amps but can output a max of 80 amps continuous.
- Display: Cycle Analyst 2.3 with 150A 0.5 mOhm shunt (this isn't working correctly for some reason though).
- Throttle: potentiometer type - Magura Twist Grip Throttle 0-5K Ohm.
- Variable Regen throttle: Hall type thumb throttle.
- 3-way speed switch (I honestly can't tell which is high, medium or low. They all seem the same because the acceleration is so slow.
- Brakes: Tektro Dorado e-brakes (disk).
- Headlight: Fisher Fab House Ultra 3200 LED E-Bike Light connected directly to main bike battery.
- ignition: key switch.
- Shunt: 0.5 mOhm external shunt for CA-HC, up to 150A continuous, 400A peak https://www.ebikes.ca/shop/electric-bic ... nt0-5.html

CYCLE ANALYST SETTINGS:
- Set Wheel: 2155 mm
- Speed limit: 95mph (throttle is not attached though as I don't need to control throttle through Cycle Analyst).
- Amps limit: 97A (throttle is not connected to CA so it doesn't matter).
- Low Volts Limit: 74v (again, shouldn't be relevant due to no throttle attached to CA).
- Main Display: Watts
- Set Range: High (0.1A)
- Averaging: 5
- Set RShunt: 0.500 mOhm
- Zero Amps: N/A (blank) (don't know what this should be set to)
- Volt Sense: 31.27 v/v
- Set #Poles: 16 - this might be affecting it. I believe I have this right though. QS205 50H V3 says it has 16 pole pairs.
- PSGain: 0.08 V/mph (don't know what this should be set to)
- IntSGain: 200 (don't know what this should be set to)
- IntAGain: 300 (don't know what this should be set to)
- IntVGain: 800 (don't know what this should be set to)
- ITerm Max: 3.79v (don't know what this should be set to)
- ITerm Min: 0.49v (don't know what this should be set to)
- Max Throttle: 4.98v (irrelevant since I don't have the throttle running through the Cycle Analyst)
- Set Ratio: 0.0993 LG/HG (no idea what this should be set to)
- Serial Output: 1 Hz (don't know what this should be set to)
- Aux Voltage: Off
- Aux Thresh: 0.99v
- VShutDown: 10v

SABVOTON CONTROLLER SETTINGS:
BASIC:
- Lack volt: 74v
- Over volt: 115v
- dc limit current: 70A
- Rated phase current: 150A
- Max Phase current: 300A
- Protected phase current: 400A

TEMP:
- Unwork temperature: 90
- Rework Temperature: 80
- Limited current temperature: 70

FUNC:
- Electric brake: enable - I have variable regen braking enabled but it's barely working right now.
- electric brake ph current: 50A (I'm still figuring out what to set this to).
- Boost/3 Spd: 3 Speed Switch - though I can't really tell if it's working or not...
- Cruise: disabled
- Reverse speed limit 20% (I don't use this though).
- Flux Weakening: enabled
- Flux weaken current: 30A (could this be affecting the speedometer somehow?)
- Reginerative charge: disabled
- Slide regenerative charge current: 50A
- Slide regenerative charge speed: 100rpm

THROTTLE:
- Throttle min volt: 0.4
- Throttle max volt: 5
- Acceleration time: 50
- Deceleration time: 50
- Throttle mid volt: 2v
- Throttle mid current: 90A

MOTOR:
- Motor direction: 1
- Motor Pn: 16
- Speed limit mode select: no limit
- Motor limit speed set: 100%
- Low speed set: 45%
- Middle speed set: 75%

DEBUG:
- Current loop kp: 999
- Test given current: 0 - not relevant unless testing.
- Hall angle test: disabled (not relevant unless testing).
- Hall angle: 243

If the speedo reading is from the motor halls, then you could have induced noise in the hall lines, which the CA can't differentiate from actual pulses. The harder you accelerate, the more noise there is, so it usually happens with more throttle than less.

First you can try moving the hall cable away from the phase cable, rather than running them parallel along the frame. Next, you can try putting a 0.1uF capacitor on the controller end of the CADP connector, from the speed line to ground.

If the speedo reading is from a wheel sensor with magnet on the wheel, sensor on the frame/fork, then the magnet or sensor may need to be repositioned a little, to prevent false triggers.

amberwolf said:
If the speedo reading is from the motor halls, then you could have induced noise in the hall lines, which the CA can't differentiate from actual pulses. The harder you accelerate, the more noise there is, so it usually happens with more throttle than less.

First you can try moving the hall cable away from the phase cable, rather than running them parallel along the frame. Next, you can try putting a 0.1uF capacitor on the controller end of the CADP connector, from the speed line to ground.

If the speedo reading is from a wheel sensor with magnet on the wheel, sensor on the frame/fork, then the magnet or sensor may need to be repositioned a little, to prevent false triggers.

Ah, it's probably the first one, as I do have that wire right next to pretty much every other wire. I'll move the hall wire away from everything else and see if that helps. If not, I'll try the cap method. Thanks!!

Back