DH Cyclone freewheel 14t to 13t

nopap1

10 µW
Hi to all,
I installed a Cyclone 1200W (geared) on my DH/FR bike, using a home made mount system (which looks like a known one :oops: ).

View attachment 2
Sany1759.jpg

Everything runs smooths and is *really* a great fun. I'm using 4x lipo zippy 22v 8ah in a backpack with back protection.
I'm now trying to improve pedaling efficiency by replacing the dicta 14t freewheel by a 13t (i got an acs crossfire 13t).
I red that some of you managed to do this, how did you remove the original dicta 14t freewheel ? I'm not able to find a proper removal tool to do so.
Then watching the dicta FW and the ACS FW, i see that they are different: the dicta is threaded all the way when the ACS is not (See picture). How does this fits on the cyclone axle adapter ?
Sany1781.jpg

Thanks for the help, and I can post details on the mounting system if some of you are interested, i have pictured the whole build process.
And happy new year from France !

Great looking machine! Yes a build log would ne nice. As for the freewheel, it looks like you would need a piece of the same type of shaft that is on the output of the gearbox, then clamp that in a vise to be able to get a freewheel tool on to the removal flats but its hard to tell if it will fit with the adapter in place... hopefully someone who knows will chime in.

Nice bike!

I see you have a freewheel removal issue.
for the tourists looking on...the problem is the freewheel is threaded on from the "face" side & prolly covering the the removal purchase points.

the next issue if trying to thread your replacment freewheel into the adapter...you will need to open it up so the threads can engage the adapter.

to remove the original....it is simple to use a small punch & disassemble the freewheel then, you can clamp the outer section in a vice & spin the adapter loose.

It looks like it is no threaded on so the face side is hidden. I can see the 4 small notches on the dicta freewheel for a 4 prong freewheel tool. they are just very small, as the dicta is a cheap freewheel.

You need to hold the adapter some how. Either like whip said, or if there is a little bit sticking out the back put that in a vice. Then either use a 4 prong freewheel removal tool or a punch and hammer to remove the freewheel. It is difficult with cheap freewheels that don't have large slots for the tool. Be careful with the punch if you go that route, as the metal on the freewheel isn't very hard and mushes over easily.

If neither of those work, then go with thud's suggestion and take the freewheel apart. Don;t worry about destroying it, the dicta ones are crap.

Clay

Hi,
Thanks for the info. I tried the hammer way, then made some kind of home made extractor but you are right, the holes are so small that i only managed to destroy them and the extractor teeth as well.
I'm afraid the heavy way might be the only way... i'll try that asap.

Does anyone know if this threaded shaft adapter is a cyclone specific part or if it can be found standalone somewhere else (8$ for the part, 60$ shipping...)

Thanks again.

I have a spare one of the cyclone freewheel adaptors, never been fitted, i am sure i can post it to you for a few dollars instead of the extortionate amount you mentioned!!

Drop me a pm if you want it.

Simon.

It is a cyclone specific part. Email cyclone and tell them their shipping costs are off. He will quote you a reasonable shipping price and charge you what he quoted. I think there is a serious error in the shipping calculator on the site. Anyone would be nuts to pay what the site quotes.

Clay

Staton-Inc(.com) has several threaded freewheel to keyed shaft adapters for various threads and shaft sizes. Don't know if he has one that will fit for sure but its a place to check.

Back