DNP freewheel shifting issues

I seem to have problems with all the DNP freewheels I have tried, regardless of the derailleur, chain, shifter I use. I have tried 7 and 9 speed freewheels (with appropriate Shimano rapid fire shifters)

I currently have a new Deore derailleur, Alivio 9 speed shifters. But I had the same problem with the 7 speed and I tried combinations of two different derailleurs and shifters.

Basically the problem seems to be related to the second highest gear. If you tune the derailleur to shift well from the top gear into the second highest gear, then all of the other shifts don't work properly, whereas if you tune it for the other gears, then you can't use the second highest gear properly.

Given how common this freewheel is on this forum, can someone explain how everyone else but me can get them to work okay?

I know that this may seem like a long shot.
When I had problems with my 7 speed DNP not shifting properly with my Shimano rapid fires, it turned out to be a sticky cabling problem.

No amount of adjustment worked until I replaced the cable, then hey jingo, all gears shifted smoothly and properly.

Oh yeah, I have replaced the cables themselves a few times and replaced the housing with smooth Jagwire housings, and greased the wires to boot.

As I said, all the gears work really nice except the second highest gear. With multiple shifter/cable/chain/derailleur setups. The cheap Shimano 7 speed didn't have this issue, but it doesn't have a 11t gear either. :(

So I'm guessing that you have set the B-tension to get the cage idler nice and close to the big sprocket, yes?

One thing you might try is to put one or two thin SS washers from the hardware store on the derailleur bolt to space the derailleur out a bit from the mount. Theoretically this shouldn't matter, but it will get you to a slightly different part of the parallelogram operating range. Maybe this will affect the cable tensioning and get things working... I use this gimmick on my bike to get the two adjusters into workable operating range (different reason than you, but it same effect).

Just a thought....

By highest gear, I mean the smallest two sprockets...

I have tried adjusting the b-tension on all of the the derailleurs and it doesn't make much difference.

Spacing the derailleur out sounds interesting, but the derailleurs have no problems with sitting properly in the top gear, so why not the second highest gear?

Right now I'm using a Shimano HG-73, but used both a KMC and Shimano 7/8 speed chains when running a 7 speed setup.

I tried two different bottom brackets too, but only the one with the 9 speed setup, maybe chainline could be the issue with the current setup, but it is a problem in both the top and middle ring, which have different chainline angles.

I was going to start a new thread, but this one seems good enough to ask in...
I use a 7 speed DNP on my recumbent commuter together with it's original 7 speed shifter.
I think the shifter is the problem for me as I can't seem to get all gears working for the life of me.

I either have the top end working, so gears 5, 6, 7, or the bottom end working, so 2, 3, 4, but never both. Right now I've managed to get all gears but 4th working ok, but it's for from perfect and grinds like mad in 3rd and 2nd and a little in 5th. I'm forever adjusting the tension while riding to try and get it right. :x

Anyway...long story short, I'm pretty sure it's the shifter since it is quite old and meant for the older shimano freewheels. Although it could also be the cable...but it's soo long on this recumbent I loath replacing it.

If I was going to get a new shifter, what would people recommend as the best match for the DNP freewheels? Mine is 11t-28t.

Cheers

These aren’t indexed although they do have very noticeable detents throughout range of movement.

They’ve solved many Derailleur, cog and shifter mismatches I’ve encountered over time.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SunRace-SL-M10-5-6-7-Speed-Friction-Thumb-Shifter-Set-w-Cables-Housing-MTB-Bike/321717118391?_trksid=p2047675.c100011.m1850&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D30251%26meid%3D8a51d8155b4a47d1add966a91a3593b0%26pid%3D100011%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D3%26sd%3D171720272232

Ykick said:
These aren’t indexed although they do have very noticeable detents throughout range of movement.

They’ve solved many Derailleur, cog and shifter mismatches I’ve encountered over time.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SunRace-SL-M10-5-6-7-Speed-Friction-Thumb-Shifter-Set-w-Cables-Housing-MTB-Bike/321717118391?_trksid=p2047675.c100011.m1850&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D30251%26meid%3D8a51d8155b4a47d1add966a91a3593b0%26pid%3D100011%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D3%26sd%3D171720272232
Thanks for that.
I should have specified I use an indexed grip shifter currently. It would be nice to have a stick, or lever shifter, but I would then need to get new grips (and I like my current ones) and it would make my handlebars more crowded than they already are, so I think I'll stick to grip shifters for now. Indexing is also something I don't really want to give up. As much hassle as it can cause, I also like the ease to which it makes shifting without thinking (when it works).

Has anyone found an indexed grip shifter that works really well with the DNP freewheels?

Cheers

Isn't one of the problems with the Enoch is the lack of ramping.
The best shifting DNP I have used, I soaked it in gear oil for a couple of days before installing.
It oozed oil for months, very messed, but a well lubed chain.
Also, I have had better luck with the 9-speed(with 9-speed system).
Less space between gears for the chain to get bound up in.

Back