Votes: 32 30.8%
  • I'm rich.. i don't have to work.

Votes: 3 2.9%
  • I'm poor and i don't care.

Votes: 4 3.8%
  • Retired !

Votes: 2 1.9%

• Total voters
Southern New Mexico. Just over the mountains from Dogman.
Electronics give me a lot of trouble, but I am so glad I found this forum... Having a hell of lot of fun doing the ebike thing.

Wow It is inspiring to read the varieties in members here. At the same time it is very depressing. I'm at the hurdle of life now where it feels like a dead end. Really need to vent this out. 4 years of college and i happen to graduate at just the wrong time for job seeking (2008). Got a job as IT personnel and worked for a year before getting laid off about a month before Christmas 2009. Frankly i missed the job but at the same time cannot bring myself to go back to serving paranoid-computer-illiterate ahole that is the general population. They also believe we are the cause of every computer malfunction within the company. Ever since i've been working as GM of the family salon. It pays very well but working with family is a drag. I want to search out for new career but feels I am under qualified for most. If you can't sense it I'm very pessimistic. At the moment I'm reaching out to friends for job as patent examiner. Not sure how that will turn out. For now ebiking is a great stress reliever and keeps me busy. At the same time it scares me to think of going back to jobs that will lock me up in an office, sitting in front of a screen all day.

Got a good friend's brother who is a patent examiner in DC the great Totem Pole and makes lot's of $$$, but he hates his job too. Got a wine crush slot open though when you get a chance . :D

patent examiner would be a great job. you guys should connect offline so you can try to arrange some networking.

that really is how you get hired. someone puts your resume on the manager's desk who is hiring. when i wanted to join HP because i was aware of the development group from reading their paper in the ieee solid state journal, i actually called the lady who headed personnel at the plant and asked her why i had not been invited for an interview as i had expected!!!!(sometimes you gotta have moxie to the max), and told her to contact a guy i had met who was part of the development group. he and i had spent a few hours working with the excimer laser in my lab because he wanted to test the photoresist he was characterizing for the new process with exposure to the ultraviolet light the laser produced, and we yakked about the physics involved in optics. we talked about the physics of why light is diffracted in a crystal actually, and he remembered me enuff to bring me in for a summer job after the personnel lady called him.

so play that angle, let them know you wanna do patent examiners job and can talk the talk.

i loved my job, but 10 years/100 hours per week was enuff. too much stress of being on top of every little thing that can go wrong in a cutting edge IC manufacturing process while we figured out how to make it work. but i still miss it 19 years later, playing the market does not have the same intensity since there are not 200 workers in the clean room and 2,000 workers in the building all waiting for me to restart the manufacturing process after is shut it down for some new fire we discovered.

there is only so much stress humans can handle but even though i am an old man now, i still try to do new stuff all the time, at the limits of my skills, like the recent concrete job. it would be hard to describe the knot in your stomach that arrives with the ready mix truck and 7 1/2 yds of concrete that has to be poured in an hour, but then takes 2 1/2 hours to finish pouring.

but be prepared for this recession to be a really long down time, think wide about your options and don't be afraid to move or go where the action is best for you, or even going back to grad school.

I love my current job, i have a great boss who is a genius!
I'm currently developing scientific instrumentation, designing/prototyping electronic stuff, tons of experience with electronics, machining, lasers, optics, vacuum, superconductivity/cryogenics, magnetics (doing electronics since i was 8, i had made spectrum analyzer from garbage when i was 17) but no BS degree.
Anyway i managed to work in the field all my life (35now) and loving it...
Before this job i worked for 13years in largest scientific institute in Croatia, then quit after 13 years and now i'm here (science again, WSU).
Im very interested in electric propulsion, but before i was bicycling a lot, and have few fancy bicycles (Cannondale and Bottechia) so it is against my life policy to ride electric (same as not using elevators if i can walk up stairs, don't get me wrong i'm talking under 5 stores) so i am interested in the field because my best friend have shop and EV forum in Croatian, i was always advising people on that forum regarding electronics and green tech related stuff...
Earnings are moderate, i don't know what is good money here in heads of people, but it is statistic US average...

I currently 'tolerate' at a company in the oceanographic world. Right now, BP is probably breaking our equipment trying figure out how dirty the Gulf is. :roll: Good for business, but that doesn't mean I like it.

Also, we were aquired by a big acquisition corporation not too long ago and they're trying to push the 'kaizen' Toyota work method on us........... :|..... and then some.

I like my current job, if you could call it that...
Student at high school, year 12.
Lots of variety in members here it seems, awesome. Love this forum tbh.

Back