Votes: 32 30.8%
  • I'm rich.. i don't have to work.

Votes: 3 2.9%
  • I'm poor and i don't care.

Votes: 4 3.8%
  • Retired !

Votes: 2 1.9%

• Total voters
I voted "Tolerate". I'm a Senior Software Engineer (i.e. Old Programmer). It's what I wanted to do when I graduated, but I've been doing it far too long now. Our late decision to have a family means I'm going to be working at least another 20 years so I guess I'd better start looking for something I enjoy a bit more. :roll:

N&V, I am normally extremely patient and understanding, and perhaps overly explanatory to teach people how things work when they ask "dumb" questions, because I normally believe that the only dumb question is the one not asked.

However, there have been a few days here and there in the past where as the lead tech at a CompUSA techshop, I finally had enough and said something I was sure I would regret.

I got almost that exact question once:

My answer, to someone that wanted to power their laptop via wireless was that sure, they could do that, but since all the bandwidth for the network would be used up by the power, they'd have to plug it into the wall to connect to the network. While they were there, they could just plug into the wall for power, too, and it'd charge even faster with all those wires too. :)

I really thought they'd call me an ass and storm out, but they accepted the explanation, and said they'd just plug in power since it would be easier, and leave the wireless for just the network. Much much later, months perhaps, they came back and had done a lot of learning in the meantime. They came up and asked some questions about some things, and when we were done figuring out what they needed, they actually thanked me for being nice to them and not just laughing at them for the question months before, and instead of trying to explain something that they felt would have been way over their head at that time (and honestly, so did I), I gave them a suggestion that would result in the same thing.

I could hardly believe my ears, but sometimes I guess even when one is being not so nice about things, if one does it in a nice enough way, it may still result in good things. :?

Unfortunately, CompUSA destroyed their business over the years thru much mismanagement and poor personnel choices, and went out of business about two and a half years ago (well, actually a few stores stayed open till Dec 2007, but nothing here in Phoenix). I ended up in these bad times at a major pet food store, which is still the only job I've been able to land since then.

I liked the job more or less until lately, when management seems to be making random changes to things, and not even sticking with them for days, much less long enough to see if they work. Hours cutbacks are so severe we can't even help the customers, much less keep the store clean and neat, so it's going downhill fast.

I have always been looking for a different job, but have been really discouraged the last few months and stopped even trying (I've actually seen some places drop my application in the trash before I even leave!).

So...while I don't much like my job, it's all I've got, even though it is a large part of the problems I have in my life right now--there's nothing better out there; I'm too old for many places to want me (41) and too experienced for many others (they want newbies that they don't have to pay anything to, by their own standards).

Bleh. I wish I was working for myself, but too few people around here will pay for individuals to fix their computers or other problems, and would rather buy new ones or pay GeekSquad or the Fry's or the like to "fix" their stuff. Some of the others that I have fixed stuff for never paid me, and I don't have money to spend trying to sue them for it--it isn't even worth trying, for so little payback (assuming I would win, which isn't guaranteed, then I have lost even more).

Bleh. :(

Maybe I should try building custom bikes....

Okay, had to do this.

If your hating on your day job, loose it! Yes I am serious, since you are here you must be into eBikes ... hopefully while youve been here you have learned some things...

1.) Make up some business cards - These don't need to be fancy, just your name, number and email and what you do = "Custom Electric Bicycles"

2.) Change up your eBike so there is no chance people will mistake it for a normal bike (while keeping it legal would be a good idea), really throw your eye into it... the idea is not to be obvious, actually it is to be obvious but without being obviously obvious about being an eBike (hope that makes sense, think all stealth except a hub and a purposely left red and black power cables running into battery bag or somthing... this can be a choice, some would prefer the "finished" look.

3.) Ride your ebike, carry your cards and be nice to people... take the time to answer their questions, you know when someone is scoping your eBike... if they don't look like there gonna jack your ride... say, "yep, a bit funny looking but it will go 20mph" or somthing, this says to the person - yep it's an eBike and sure I'll talk to you.

4.) If you can in your area, use public transportation... great exposure, nearly free (well in Philadelphia all of center city is a free exchange... you could literally roam the subs running from one train to the next all day and most of the night).

5.) Find the guys on bikes... seriously, they all pack together, cyclists messengers couriers, cargo delivery guys... they all seem to pool. Pull up on them and ask for directions, a light, about one of their bikes... it doesn't matter what you say, they will all be looking at your ride.

With that said, NO i don't do this but... I do give out my card and do hear from 2 of 3 people I give it to. Most are saddened when they reallize I don't sell these but I point them on according to their needs and requirements to a variety of sources / vendors / options. So I do have some idea of conversion rate on this form of roots marketing and it will work.

So there is my good deed for today, set yourself free... start making money doing what you love from home...

Oh god I sound like Tony Robbins or somthing... time for a knap.

-Mike

mwkeefer said:
If your hating on your day job, loose it! Yes I am serious, since you are here you must be into eBikes
Been working on that one since before CompUSA closed, nothing successful yet. I probably just don't know what I am doing well enough, with people (possibly because of Asperger's--it makes it hard to figure people out).

2.) Change up your eBike so there is no chance people will mistake it for a normal bike (while keeping it legal would be a good idea), really throw your eye into it... the idea is not to be obvious, actually it is to be obvious but without being obviously obvious about being an eBike (hope that makes sense, think all stealth except a hub and a purposely left red and black power cables running into battery bag or somthing... this can be a choice, some would prefer the "finished" look.
I..think there's no chance anyone would mistake *mine* for a normal bike, and I get a LOT of conversations over it. Even a few people interested in something like it. But no one has any money they're willing to spend on it.

Of course, mine is horribly ugly, on purpose, since it deters thieves and is a constant experiment in progress. But even when I eventually build the better version, with powdercoating and all the snazzy panels and whatnot, I'm not sure it'd make much difference.

3.) Ride your ebike, carry your cards and be nice to people... take the time to answer their questions, you know when someone is scoping your eBike... if they don't look like there gonna jack your ride... say, "yep, a bit funny looking but it will go 20mph" or somthing, this says to the person - yep it's an eBike and sure I'll talk to you.
Do this all the time; see above. :(

5.) Find the guys on bikes... seriously, they all pack together, cyclists messengers couriers, cargo delivery guys... they all seem to pool. Pull up on them and ask for directions, a light, about one of their bikes... it doesn't matter what you say, they will all be looking at your ride.
Here, most of the cyclists do not band together, and in fact it can almost be some sort of offense to speak to another cyclist that is at the bike racks, on the roads, etc. Generally they don't seem to want to be bothered (at least, not by me). Lots of really young (teens) ones think the bike is cool (some don't like it and call it "gay" or other intended-to-be-derogatory terms), but none are interested in doing anything to their little fixie stunt bikes, which is all they have or care about.

When I see groups of cyclists on trails, roads, etc, they won't talk to me, either because I'm not wearing the "uniform" or some other reason, and if I try to just ride in or near the group, they'll all get away from me as fast as they can, no matter what kind of bike I ride. I know I don't stink, so I guess since I'm not already part of their group, I'm not welcome.

There *are* some exceptions, but so far not a single one has had any money to spend, or was *willing* to spend it. Except for a few that said they'd seen some at Walmart and wanted to buy one there. :roll:

Yeah, I'm Mr. Negativity, but that's what I see around here.

The only ones willing to try anything new or different are the Freak Bikers, and most of them don't seem interested in anything motorized, or having a custom bike built, just in doing their own ideas.

So there is my good deed for today, set yourself free... start making money doing what you love from home...
What I really love is music and artwork, but no one is going to pay me to do that (I can't even sell the other few hundred CDs I made 13.5 years ago). :(

Sorry, I'm probably even worse than usual (losing the things that mattered most to you over a few years, every time you think things are starting to get better instead getting much worse, can do that to you). :(

Amberwolf,

> I probably just don't know what I am doing well enough, with people (possibly because of Asperger's--it makes it hard to
> figure people out).

I didn't know your situation but personally being BiPolar and ADHD, I frequently come across as a speed junkie (I just don't look like one) and have awkward days/periods where I know it's best not to speak since I may say the wrong thing (No internal censorship somtimes)... Admidtedly this is not as serious as Aspergers... I am familiar with the condition.

That being said, you should look into Federal Grants for anyone with a recognized disibility (I have more than the above ,a few physical too) there are soo many Grants for R&D, Business Startup, etc... these could help you very much.

Seeing your ride, your right it couldn't be mistaken. However seeing it, you obviously have the skills to do a "nice" stealth install... think about what types of bicycles your local guys are using, get one and convert it clean.

Maybe for you talking should be minimal, just answer their questions briefly to the point... use your excersises to keep ticking or blurting to a minimum and just offer them your card with a website where you can elaborate, link to other videos... Just politely tell them you would love to chat but are late for an appointment but they can check out your website and Videos or email you any time.

People will buy the wallmart iZip for 299 but they don't always do it for the price, its more for the "turn key" experience. All the same I can tell you not one really happy iZip user have I met... the SLAs are heavy the currie drives burn gears and pull high loaded amps. If they are given a 800-1000$ price level for a "nice, clean stealth completed eBike" guess what... they will come.

I assume if you can do art, you could do a reasonable website.

So far as selling your music, welcome to the crew... I have 2 friends who sell their CDs right now: Byard Lancaster (blues / jazz) also Bret Andrew. Everyone else just kinda does the street performance thing until they click with a group.

If my posts don't convey it properly... anyone wanting to become an eBike builder and bringing the wonders of LEV and the EV grin to the masses ... one conversion at a time... I personally will do what I can to help and considering I am not a dealer or vendor... I am sure if anyone else sees this they will also make similar offers.

I have come to realize that the only way we can grow the community is to bring eBikes into the forefront, people like you and I can help to accomplish this - regardless of our challenges!

-Mike

AussieJester said:
Ypedal said:
My daily grind consists of answering phone calls.. i do " Tech Support " .. been doing it for 10 years now. :(

You poor man i managed to last 18 months in Tech Support fora mobile phone company before scoring the Human Relations job THANKGOOOOOD... If your really that sick of it though mate, have a look about for something else when your Holidays are nearly due, maybe even do a few days if you find you like it don't return to your old job...

Me...i *don't (officially) work any more im on a pension now, my condition makes it impossible to have a full time set hours job, my day to day health is hit and miss unfortunately.

KiM

p.s YPedal...do they monitor your answered calls...as in how many you answer in a shift? My best for 8hours was 192 answered tech support calls :p Record that was never broken when i was there :)

192 !! wow.. that's alot !!!! my record during a few months in regular customer service was 315 in an 8hr shift ( standard pickup requests for a shipping company, verify address, give confirmation number, next.. ) but in my current position i average 30 to 80 calls depending on the seasons and updates ( that get screwed up something fierce.. )

Quitting the day job would be a dream come true, and it will happen, with any luck i figure one or 2 years max.. i have to pay off some credit and gather some funds to stay afloat then i can concentrate on ebike building for local and online sales.. word spreads fast and i keep getting jobs regularly converting local bikes with eZee kits.. but nothing that would support a single guy living in a 2 story house by himself. :| Plus we have winter out here making cycling a seasonal thing for most people.

Next week i work, then i'm off for 2 weeks vacation !! just in time to ride the RC bike all over town !!! can't wait ! i'm very due for a vacation.... so i can work on all my home projects that are being neglected lol...

I am a baker in an airport restaurant for 6+ yrs. muffins, cookies, scones, and more... its nice that everyone is always complimenting my work because everyone likes cookies, but it's mindless repetitive and boring. so I tolerate it, and think about building electric bikes all day at work. I taught myself how to program in c, c++, java and more thinking I would get a job doing that, but w/o the college degree or any real experience, and living in a small town I'm staying stagnant with the baking. fun topic I like reading about what other people do for a living, and when someone else admits they hate their job somehow that makes me feel better :D
I've had many jobs that I HATED, most lasted < 1 yr

I'm doubting that a decent living could be made by a single person assembling store bought kits though, theres alot more to be made in custom gear as we have seen with recumpence. To do this though you need a shit load of machinery and the skills to use it...Don't get me wrong i think its a good idea and all Mike but would be concerned if someone e.g YPedal for example quit a job they make good money at and have been at for 10 years only to find in a month or two they are on the bones of there ass trying to scrap together enough money for food...best of luck with your venture YPedal, you already have a rep on the forums for building bikes so its a step in the right direction, i guess if anyone can go it alone and make it work your got more chance than most. OH perhaps try partime at your current work and do the ebike on the side see how it goes...might be a better option..?

KiM

p.s yeah the 192 was full on customer servic i often had 4 lines on the go at once hahaa very hectic on average (depending on time of year) we would anser 120-130 a day though there wasonly 2 of us fulltime and a partimer. Hats off to you for hanging in there for 10 years man i could imagine it lol i would have quit if i didnt get promoted to Human Resources Officer when the position became available NO THATS a cushy job hiring and firing back-packers that come in to work as telemarketers LoL.

Yepp I hate my job, although I think hate is a very broad term. I work in the IT field. I like the people I work with, the mechanics of the job are dead easy. The rest is making me gray and full of hate. i'm slowing turning into Walter and I want something really inconvenient to happen to people on their way to work, I really do... That way they can't find more ingenious way's to make me say "what the hell where you doing with this?"

voted love my job , which is funny cuz its the same thing ive done for the most part of 2 decades but its been only the last 5 years that i like it.

main difference is the last 7 years ive been a self employed contractor. construction and and working the yacht's around here for someone else blew goatnuts . i think its more my restless nature that likes knowing i can tell the boss to pound sand and move on to other things but i found in the last bit that ill do jobs (concrete is a good example) that i used to loathe i now enjoy as i directly benefit from working harder. that and only answering to myself and the homeowner helps a ton.

ypedal i wasnt kidding when i said you'd make a ton out here working reno's, with simple hand tools and the capability to keep your drivers licence you can walk off the street into 25-30 an hour, got a truck even more . the west coast is a trip but i can tell you just a minute ago i was in the park with my boys its plus 10 degrees out , folks are jogging, golfing and RIDING BIKES. gass prices are over $1.10 a liter in the lower mainland and im already getting neibours knocking on my door asking questions about my ebike and its not even working yet. word is spreading as they see me working in the garage . other than ebike.ca there is not alot of exposure for ebikes in the suburbs of vancouver.

If you're open to the move i can tell you you'd love it . with microsoft just south of the border there are plenty of tech support jobs around making it easy to come try it out on the strength of that background and transition to what you love after landing here. Ive got a ground floor suite that id put you up in and i can guarantee you some work in the home reno biz.

life is to short to stay in a job you dont enjoy . rent that house out to some friends and come check it out. my suite will be empty march 1st :p

I work for a small electronics consulting company as a engineering manager, so I get to pick which projects I want to work on- hardware, software, industrial/mechanical, all of the above. And I get to play with all kinds of BMS and gas gauges while at it :)

I work since 3 years in an optical developpment and research center as an optic-physic-electronic-mecanic technologist. Overall i'm playing with lasers, Ir camera, light measuring device, fiber optic, thermal camera, sometime in a 1000 class white room ( i hast that part of my job but still love the rest!)

I'm closely working with R&D department in opto mecanic, electronic and optic.

Generally we are developping custom optical instrument and or solutions... everything that can use Light...

Recently I assembled and tested a thermal camera for the project Aquarius, that camera will be a main part of a satellite for the Argentina and canadian Space Agency. That camera will monitor the temp of the ocean to follow the path of warm and cold reagion as well as salt region for the water density.. It will also watch forest fires.

My work is called INO ( national Optical Institute) and love my teammate and the ambience at work, prople are very dynamic and we have great work conditions. We are just a little bit affected by the actual economic conditions.

http://www.ino.ca/en-ca/

img_01.jpg

I'm a firefighter in Winnipeg. For half of the 34 years of my working life I thought working was an unavoidable hell. Now I voluntarily walk into hell and that makes it much better.

Bob

I used to like my job
Now I hate it
What changed?
Management.
Now they are bureaucratic mindless assholes. Treat salaried employees like hourly time clock punchers.

I love my job, but at times I hate it when the deliverables are scoped on an unrealistic timeline.

Generally speaking, my job allows me to learn all that can be known, and sometimes if I’m lucky - I get paid for it. 8)

But like there are mouths to feed, it all comes out through a port, and some people in my line of work wear them pretty large and overt. Dealing with them can be tiresome. :?

At one of my earlier jobs in my youth, I found this ode painted on the side of a deairating feedwater tank in the after-engineroom on an old WWII DD-698 class destroyer; it seemed quite profound and succinct in expressing exactly how I often I felt at that time towards a particular institution, and indeed – how I often feel today towards particular clients. It goes like this:

I, the willing –
Lead by the unknowing,
Have done the impossible,
For the ungrateful.

I have done so much
With so little
For so long
That I can do anything…
With nothing!

It’s just one of Life’s little axioms that keeps me going…

I also like: "Go do that voodoo that you do - so well!"
~Blazing Saddles

As my profile states, I am an Auditor, specifically an Internal Auditor. I tolerate my day job as it feeds my family, but it is getting harder by the day.

Pros:
I work for a medium sized city in the suburbs of DC, which I was born and have lived in most of my life, so I feel connected.
My commute is under 2 miles.
My boss is really nice.

Cons:
There are only 2 of us. Since the economy has soured, it seems all my coworkers have decided to become thieves. Our current work load would justify at least 10 more auditors. We had a stupid(he got caught) meter man steal >$100K in quarters, dimes and nickles this past year. We had a Transit Store manager steal (thru kiting) $30K in January. And our latest scam was the manager of our Fleet Management Division decided it would be okay to sell tractors and other equipment out the back door to make some extra cash. Usually each of these instances would be spread out over several years.
Our pay has been frozen since 2008, but my expenses have been increasing, including my $7000 real estate tax bill I pay to my employer. :roll:

It would be neat to get into the ebike business, but unfortunately I wouldn't be able to handle the stupid people that expected unrealistic results. I have little patience for rude, impolite people. I'd get sued for sure.

Mwkeefer mentioned that the people here are really cool. I would agree 100% It would be REALLY neat if somehow we could capitalize on that. I would LOVE to come to work with you guys!

number1cruncher said:
including my $7000 real estate tax bill I pay to my employer. :roll:

Dang, what kind of property do you have? The house I live in has about 4000 sq. ft., is assessed at $225,000 and is taxed at roughly $1800 per year.

It would be surprising to me to see that real estate tax rates vary wildly across the US. If this is the case, then I need to include that as I make cost of living estimates in possible future residences.

swbluto said:
number1cruncher said:
including my $7000 real estate tax bill I pay to my employer. :roll:

Dang, what kind of property do you have? The house I live in has about 4000 sq. ft., is assessed at $225,000 and is taxed at roughly $1800 per year.

It would be surprising to me to see that real estate tax rates vary wildly across the US. If this is the case, then I need to include that as I make cost of living estimates in possible future residences.

House=2,000sqft, Lot = 8,880sqft, Assesment=640K, Tax Rate=1% per annum. So more like $6,400 for the actual tax, but there is also trash collection, storm sewer fee, etc.

I live inside the DC Beltway(the event horizon), so there is the perception that these(my) home(s) is worth more since there is less of a commute to the biggest employer around, the Federal Guberment.

I make wine for a living,.. so yes I love my job!!!! :lol: :lol:
We own about 10 acres of vineyard and produce around 10,000 gallons of wine a year.. that's about 50,000 bottles of wine.

It's a lot of work, but I LOVE IT.

JUST CALL ME WINEBOY!

Back